My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you believe in Darwinian evolution?

Do you believe in Darwinian evolution?

• Yes

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Need more information

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters

jvarnell

Premium Member
*Bold added by me for emphasis

There is no "JUST A THEORY" in science. This is the point we are trying to get across here. The theory about lockness is NOT a scientific theory it is a theory in the usage most people are familiar with, in science it would be a hypothesis at best. Everything in science is just a theory. Nothing it proven 100% in science, not ever, its the nature of the beast. While it is true that some theories have more evidence than others, and some have flaws, evolution is one that is pretty well understood. Sure Darwin didn't have it 100% correct, we all know that, however it was a starting point. If you think there has been more disproved than accepted then then you simply don't understand Darwin's complete theories.

If you look at Darwins theory of how he viewed the formation of Locness you will see it makes since but as more facts came to light everyone found the way he put together the facts he had was right but ithe theory was wrong. The deferances between glacial and pplate tectonics.

CuAllaidh

One of my favorite vloggers said that he ran into his music classes when he was 14 and yelled "I don't believe in your music, it's just a theory!" and ran out again, leaving a puzzled looking class.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

That's awesome :D to hazard a guess.... John Green?

jvarnell

Premium Member
Ok and how does the forming of a lake have anything to do with Evolution?

it doesn't have anthing to do with evolution but it was "a" darwin theory that was disproved and not excepted. Darwin wrote papers on at least 3 theorys and only one was excepted that is the one on evolution.

CuAllaidh

I am aware Darwin did research in other areas, this in no way affects the truth of Evolution.

I am also aware that Darwin was not the first person to develop a theory on evolution, nor was Lamarck. The idea had been kicking around for some time, and in fact had been growing in acceptance and understanding leading up to Darwin. Darwin however is considered the father of evolutionary theory because he unified many of the ideas when he came up his own version. Newton also didn't come up with the idea of gravity, doesn't make gravity any less true, Newton also came up with other theories, some of them didn't pan out, doesn't make gravity any less true.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I am aware Darwin did research in other areas, this in no way affects the truth of Evolution.

I am also aware that Darwin was not the first person to develop a theory on evolution, nor was Lamarck. The idea had been kicking around for some time, and in fact had been growing in acceptance and understanding leading up to Darwin. Darwin however is considered the father of evolutionary theory because he unified many of the ideas when he came up his own version. Newton also didn't come up with the idea of gravity, doesn't make gravity any less true, Newton also came up with other theories, some of them didn't pan out, doesn't make gravity any less true.
I agree that is why I say it's "just a theory" facts don't change but the way they are explained can and that is the theory part. Einstein did not change Nuton theory of gravity he added mass to his theory.

jvarnell

Premium Member
if we don't strach and try to change the theory part with new facts we will do nothing new. I don't just fall in line and say something is right just because some one that tell me he is smarter than me. I keep all the theories in my head and if new data comes along I add it to it and then rething all the same theories on the same subject. If someone comes along and tells you you can only think and beleive the way i do or your stupid do you do it? Hell no.... There is still to much theory and not enough fact for me to except Darwin's theory of eveloution. At every branch there is a missing link in human evelution and i need at least one of those links and maybe all.

CuAllaidh

The missing link is nonsense.... What specifically are you looking for? Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Erectus, Homo Habilis, or perhaps you want to go back to before homo genus, Australopithecus africanus, or maybe Australopithecus anamensis perhaps, or maybe the Paranthropus group.... how far back do you need? Do we know every single step of the way no... but we certainly have enough evidence to suggest Evolution is not a theory in the manner in which you mean, it is fact. Our understanding of it may improve, but Evolution is a fact, that science calls it a Theory is due to the way science works and what the word actually means in a scientific setting.

jvarnell

Premium Member
The missing link is nonsense.... What specifically are you looking for? Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Erectus, Homo Habilis, or perhaps you want to go back to before homo genus, Australopithecus africanus, or maybe Australopithecus anamensis perhaps, or maybe the Paranthropus group.... how far back do you need? Do we know every single step of the way no... but we certainly have enough evidence to suggest Evolution is not a theory in the manner in which you mean, it is fact. Our understanding of it may improve, but Evolution is a fact, that science calls it a Theory is due to the way science works and what the word actually means in a scientific setting.

The missing link is just a spot in the chain that ties our species to the others. If you look at the DNA evdiance you will see big gaps between modern man and past man.

CuAllaidh

The missing link is just a spot in the chain that ties our species to the others. If you look at the DNA evdiance you will see big gaps between modern man and past man.

Sorry but clearly you don't have enough of an understanding of microbiology or anthropology and are relying on what others say about it, the missing link is in your knowledge not in the theory or the evidence.

jvarnell

Premium Member
Sorry but clearly you don't have enough of an understanding of microbiology or anthropology and are relying on what others say about it, the missing link is in your knowledge not in the theory or the evidence.
T
he missinng link is a part of the long chains of life. It is not an animal. I could have said a gap in the imaginary line that connects things. When there is a genetic mutation that is called eveloution only a small part of the DNA changes but not all the DNA changes. The missing link is the peice of DNA that connects the Simian species to the human speies. that ia a link of one thing to another that is missing. it can be called a line or what ever but it is what links speices. I always look at the information that ties the genus species and subspecies to each other and I see tomany big gaps that need to be LINKed in some manner to say Darwin is fully baked. (that baked is a metaphor for compleet)

CuAllaidh

Again I maintain the gap is not in the evidence, but rather in your knowledge of how evolution works. This is not a flaw in the theory of evolution, but rather your understanding of the science. There is no evidence that could be provided to you unless you are willing to actually study the science behind it. Once you do that you will begin to understand that there is no missing link. And I do understand that you think there is missing information in how genetic mutations could form new species, it is a complicated subject, one I am not nearly qualified to explain it to you in easy to understand terms. http://gbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/3/812.full This is a somewhat decent start at understanding the various ways specification can occur.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I love it being lectured on how science works. I also know when people don't understand that they can't force someone else to have the same opion as they, they will start telling how wrong they are without thinking of what the other person may know that they don't. I have a lot more knowlage on many subject than you will ever know.

No one has all the information and can prove there are no gaps in the chain's of life.

CuAllaidh

I love it being lectured on how science works. I also know when people don't understand that they can't force someone else to have the same opion as they, they will start telling how wrong they are without thinking of what the other person may know that they don't. I have a lot more knowlage on many subject than you will ever know.

No one has all the information and can prove there are no gaps in the chain's of life.

Yes you are getting a bit of a lecture on science, because you don't understand the basics, you clearly have done some reading, but you also clearly do not have the basic background to actually understand it. I am not claiming I have all the information, and I have no doubt you know a lot that I don't on a whole ton of subjects. However you have made it abundantly clear that on this subject you are not knowledgeable. You claim no one can prove there are no gaps in the chain of life, yet you clearly have no formal science background. That seems a little arrogant to me, I would certainly not ever claim that no one could prove there are no gaps in string theory, because I don't have enough knowledge of that faucet of physics. As for your opinion, you are free to have your own opinion, no one is forcing you not to, however when you make claims about things that simply are not true (such as what constitutes a theory in science) expect to be corrected.

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
If you stopped at Darwin, then of course I could see why you would have reservations, but the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution from the last 100 years. They see it consistently proven in the laboratories every day. It seems the only folks who have an issue with it is religious fundamentalists who believe the truth of evolution completely undermines their faith.

It's absurd that the discussion even continues. But I still see people defending that the earth is flat, or that the earth is only 6,000 years old, or that Noah hung out with dinosaurs. It's ridiculous.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App