My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Grand Lodge Law Help or Hurt Individual Lodges?

owls84

Premium Member
Ok I want to update my response from earlier. I have heard all sides of this debate and I feel that it does both. The intentions of Grand Lodge was to do what I said earlier and create a system of unification but due to the problem with some Lodges or individuals pushing Grand Lodge Law to the edge, it has caused them to govern closer, basically micro-managing. I see areas that I am confused about why Grand Lodge would even waste their time controlling that (mainly confused due to ignorance). Things like why can I not have a raffle for the Lodge fundraiser, with the money going to the Lodge? Why make that mandatory that the money go to a charity. Why would Grand Lodge feel the need to step in and mandate how we raise money for the Lodges or what we must do with our money as a Lodge, yet we are not a charity? Just little things like that. I just see so many resolutions and edicts being passed eventually our law book will be much like the Constitution changed so many times no one knows why or what it was originally written for.

When was the last time someone from Grand Lodge read the Law book to fix the contradictions? I know at the businesses I have worked at we look at our procedures annually to see if they need to be changed, removed, or kept. I mean it seems like from year to year the past Grand Master's programs get dropped and forgotten about. Take the ALL Program or the LIFE Program. These programs are so far outdated it is a shock they are still required. How hard would it truly be to update these programs annually? I guess what my complaint is why do we appoint people to these committees but do not require them to do any real merit work. If you are going to be on an education committee give me an education program. If you are going to be on the internet committee then give me a website that will knock people’s shoes off. The sad thing is the more I see the more I wonder why some, not all, the committee members are appointed or even serving. Is it just for personal recognition? Do these members just want a name badge and be announced at each meeting? I am not saying EVERYONE on a committee is like that but I have seen some that just get down right upset if you don’t mention their name and title at a meeting yet you never see production from them. I would like to see accountability with these committees. Give reports monthly and have them sent out with the Secretaries Monthly Maintenance Report. Let the Lodges see what you are working on and how much progression you are making. Let’s hold people accountable and in turn make Lodges and Masonry stronger. Due to these reasons I am changing my answer to this to both, Grand Lodge helps and hurts individual Lodges.

Sorry for the rant but I just believe if you put good resources in then you will get a better product out and I see our Grand Lodge spinning their wheels on a lot of issues. I did not mean to step on anyone’s toes on this either but I feel like someone needs to say it and put it out there.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Let’s hold people accountable and in turn make Lodges and Masonry stronger.

Yeah, but accountability is a tricky thing. The quickest way to run people off is by holding them accountable. What I hate is when we keep looking to Grand Lodge for solutions to problems we don't even want to work out ourselves. GL isn't here to hold our hand. If we want them to have less control, we need to stop running to them for everything. Which of these committees do you want to see do more?

The real issue is that we like to complain about our problems more than we like to look for solutions. We want Big Brother to fix everything, but at the same time, stay out of our hair. Doesn't work that way.

owls84

Premium Member
Well put Brother Tom. I could see myself doing that as well, I guess when you think of it, Grand Lodge is just like any public election, 100% of the people complain but only 15% vote. I guess I just never thought of it as being the indiviual Lodges responsibility to keep checks and balances on the Grand Lodge. Regardless it starts with the individual Lodges.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
That is only part of it. It is up to individual lodges and Masons not to NEED GL to do everything and be as involved with all we do. It is like our federal government. Our individual lack of initiative is what makes them interfere and get involved. When lodges start handling their own business, this thread will not have a purpose.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Josh,

The reason for the restrictions concerning raffles is because those restrictions are mandated by Texas state law, and we MUST follow the civil law.

owls84

Premium Member
Thank you Brother Bill, I did not know that. I have been looking for that answer for a long time now.

I have a question, If I were to raffel off a shotgun and any profits made from the raffle could I give them to the Lodge as a donation? Then I would be the one raffeling and not the Lodge. The only reason I bring this up is I see a raffle as a way to make money just by walking around and asking if someone wants to buy a ticket, basically the fundraiser goes the the person.

caeservi

Thank you Brother Bill, I did not know that. I have been looking for that answer for a long time now.

I have a question, If I were to raffel off a shotgun and any profits made from the raffle could I give them to the Lodge as a donation? Then I would be the one raffeling and not the Lodge. The only reason I bring this up is I see a raffle as a way to make money just by walking around and asking if someone wants to buy a ticket, basically the fundraiser goes the the person.

The problem is a taxation issue: if you, as an individual, raffle the gun, the proceeds would be considered earned income and should be reported (whether the IRS would ever actually ever find out about the income is an entirely different matter :D). Even if you reported the income and the subsequent donation, you would not be able to use it as an deduction. If you don't mind the tax hit you would take, then there is nothing wrong with it, and it would be a very generous gift to the lodge on your part.

Wingnut

Premium Member

I had a thread on that earlier asking the question about raffle restrictions...

doing a raffle on your own would most likely get you sideways with the state of Texas. Raffles and lotterys are very strictly controlled in Texas due to all the scams.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

IIRC, only non-profit organizations may legally conduct raffles. It's a great idea, but I don't believe it'll fly.

Some time back, the Grand Secretary sent out a set of the rules regarding raffles to the Lodges. You might check with your Lodge Secretary & look them over- you might come up with something that might work for your Lodge.

4thgenPM

Brethren, I always find this topic interesting as it usually involves some sense of an "us vs. them" mentality between Grand Lodge and the Consituent Lodges. It is important to remember that our Constituent Lodges and the Grand Lodge are one and the same. If it weren't for the Constituent Lodges fulfilling their charges to make Master Masons and electing officers, there would be no members of Grand Lodge.

Our Grand Lodge can only be as helpful as we, its Members and Representatives, allow it to be. At the same time, we cannot expect that all of the issues and concerns of every local Lodge can be remedied by Grand Lodge law. This is why Lodges must have the ability to govern themselves and make their own decisions on a daily basis based on their own circumstances, but with guidance from their Brethren in the form of the Grand Lodge Laws.

If we did require Grand Lodge to settle every issue or problem that a Lodge had, we would need to meet far more than the day and a half we have allows...in fact, it would need to become a paying job for all of the Grand Lodge members (the Past Masters of Texas Lodges) to meet to fulfill that requirement.

Brethren, if we say that "Grand Lodge isn't here for us" we're essentially saying that we're not here for ourselves...I'm not prepared to say that...I don't agree with everything that we've passed in Grand Lodge, but I've had my opportunity to debate it and cast my vote, which is the same opportunity I've had in my local Lodges...and I don't agree with everything that's passed their either!

Christian D. Moore, PM

R

Ruffian1

Grand Lodge - Helpful? Hurtful?

The simple answer is "Both". The GL of Washington is a megalith of conflicting, unworkable and inglored rules. It is every Mason's whipping boy. It reeks of pomp and circumstances - Yet......

Who is the Grand Lodge? It is us! We have met the enemy and it is us. Over time we have created this ediface and now have to live with it. The GL officers do the best they can with a set of codes that beggers those of the IRS. Where did this monstrosity come from? Us! Over the years we have created it and don't have either the will or the desire to throw the whole thing out and start over.

Our Grand Master this year is trying. A resolution to come before our Grand Lodge Communication tosses the whole code section on Masonic trials, that has become unworkable and divisive, and is replacing it with a vastly improved rendition. It will be interesting to see if the voting delegates have the wisdom to adopt it.

Our GL Secretary and staff do a remarkable job given the limitations of funds and the artificial administrative burden thrust upon them. They have finally developed a computerized database of members - a great help to Secretaries.

So Brothers.... our Grand Lodge, like yours, is archaic, bureaucratic and demanding. It is so because we have burdened it with an unworkable set of rules that we are unwilling to change. Within this framework some good things are happening.