My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duncan's vs Monitor vs Nizzarindi

Julian Burns

I am wondering about the different books and why there isn't a standard for ritual for all masons? In my lodge we used the Duncan, in Indiana where i visit often they use the Nizzardini. On certain parts for the 2nd degree we would use the Monitor for long form instruction. Thoughts and comments are appreciated, am I always seeking more light in Masonry.

Elexir

The easy answer is that diffrent people have diffrent ideas about how freemasonry should be and how it should be worked, wich degrees should be involved etc.. There are also a number of diffrent masonic cultures that you need to take into account.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Centuries of ritual variation. The fact that US grand lodges keep a standard ritual within themselves is slightly odd, considering how the “mother” grand lodges allow their lodges to choose. UGLE has over fifty variations, a dozen of which are in regular use. Some rituals will only be found in a single lodge.

Elexir

Centuries of ritual variation. The fact that US grand lodges keep a standard ritual within themselves is slightly odd, considering how the “mother” grand lodges allow their lodges to choose. UGLE has over fifty variations, a dozen of which are in regular use. Some rituals will only be found in a single lodge.

We also use a standard ritual here in Sweden that we are forbidden to even try to modify ourself. Any change must come from the GL.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
When the GL of Florida formed, the ritual creators had their pick from several rituals. They picked the parts they liked from the various rituals offered and even changed some parts that were unlike any of those they were picking from.

Winter

Premium Member
It still surprises me that GLs that admit to not having the genuine secrets can be so bold as to edit rituals.
First, you'd need to define what you consider the "genuine secrets" and then how a GL evolving its ritual (as every GL has done for centuries) relates to it.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I am wondering about the different books and why there isn't a standard for ritual for all masons? In my lodge we used the Duncan, in Indiana where i visit often they use the Nizzardini. On certain parts for the 2nd degree we would use the Monitor for long form instruction. Thoughts and comments are appreciated, am I always seeking more light in Masonry.
You’re PHA? I know of no state GL which uses Duncan’s (that’s not a criticism, just an observation).

UGLE has over 80 actively worked rituals, not counting minor variations.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Last edited:

c j thomas

I am from OK, and we use Lesters Look to the East but here in NC they use Nizzardini. Kinda cool I also have the Duncan.

Mark Stockdale

Premium Member
The question led me to believe probably "yes".

Yep. Lester's LTTE is another "reference" used by non-MS organizations.

Scotland may have even more.
We do indeed have more variations in Scotland, as each lodge decides their own ritual, as long as certain key parts are included. It is part of what makes visiting so interesting here, as you never know what you are going to see. With over 1000 lodges, you see a lot of minor differences, and then occasionally you see something completely different and think WOW.

Sent from my 6055P using My Freemasonry mobile app