My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firefighters/police

brother blaine

Hey brothers I'm just wondering if there are any other firefighters or police out there?? And if so what's your thoughts on how the brother hoods compare to our masonic brotherhood??

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

MarkR

Premium Member
I was a police officer for 25 years, currently teach law enforcement. I honestly don't have a thought about it, because it's apples and oranges. For one thing, there's a MUCH wider age range in a Masonic Lodge, so you'll have less in common outside of Lodge.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Retired FF here. Agree with MarkR. It's kind an apples-to-oranges comparison.
IMO, the big difference is that the bond between FF's and (I assume) between LEO's, is driven by external things, "the job", in other words. The risks, the hours, the work environment, etc. all make demands unlike most other jobs.
Masonic Brothers, on the other hand, are bound by something internal; the search for "light" and the company of others who share that desire.

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
I've found that FFs are much tighter than cops. They spend a lot more time together, whether at the firehouse or assigned to the same apparatus/engine. Cops tend to be less close-knit, especially when assigned as a solo unit.

Personally, though I like my partners, being a state trooper I could easily very rarely see anyone else. And we live too far apart to get together off-duty on a regular basis. In fact, it's one of the reasons I joined the lodge in my community.

But even in freemasonry I notice that some guys don't care much for that sense of closeness. I've met a few who just care to be a freemason for the "status"... they like having the ring and car tag to show off or telling folks they are a 32* mason, or are a part of an appendant body... but don't care to show up to meetings or fellowship and get to know their brothers.

So out of all three groups I've encountered I think it's the FFs who show the most amount of actual brotherhood.

afd004

Premium Member
Retired FF here. Agree with MarkR. It's kind an apples-to-oranges comparison.
IMO, the big difference is that the bond between FF's and (I assume) between LEO's, is driven by external things, "the job", in other words. The risks, the hours, the work environment, etc. all make demands unlike most other jobs.
Masonic Brothers, on the other hand, are bound by something internal; the search for "light" and the company of others who share that desire.

Volunteer FF here. I can see a philosophical correlation between the two. As Masons, we need to always be ready to help and succor a needy Brother. As firefighters, we need to always be ready to respond when the pager goes off or the tones sound.

I can’t speak for LEOs, but I also think FFs tend to be a more close-knit group than Masons, for the reasons you’ve already mentioned.

Bill Rose

Premium Member
Over 30 years in law enforcement here. I am Chief Deputy, and I enjoy the brotherhood with the job. It is sweeter though with those that are brother masons.

Rob_Eades

These good Brothers are correct as far as they are two different organizations, but I found that there similar ties that run through both. Virtues such as faith, integrity, dedication, devotion to family and each other, and believers in straight forward truth and a style of justice which renders to every man his just due without distinction. I was very fortunate to have served 28 years as a police officer in a department that could have initiated, passed and raised a candidate on any given day on any given shift. Men that we're not only Masons, but active Masons who knew the Ritual. I've always heard that if you're doing something you love, you'll never work a day in your life. Brethren I can tell you that it's true because of the very nature of the job of helping others, but having the full support of my Masonic Brothers. There were three Masonic Districts about 30 lodges in my area at the time. The officers were members of those various lodges and although they were all from various backgrounds and different lodges it gave a whole new meaning to "I got your back!"