First time I've meet a trainee on the Trail.

Discussion in 'Freemasons in the Military' started by alterian, Sep 14, 2016.

1. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

i'm so old, I pulled head count at the last supper...

2. acjohnson53

if you want to count age, I pull head count at the last supper, and my buddy and I pulled Guard Duty at King Solomon's Temple..../G\

Bill Lins and Bloke like this.
  3. Matt L

Matt L Site Benefactor

I joined the Marine Corps when Jimmy Carter was President. I couldn't spell cell phone anyway.

Warrior1256 and Brother JC like this.
  4. acjohnson53

i know this an old post from 2016, but it's very interesting. it's funny how recruits from the past to present has evolved. I went in 1983 and DS was like god or next to him.

5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

"If the Marine Corp thought that you needed a wife they would have issued you one".
    Same here.
    We were not even allowed to do this.
    So true.
    I've never heard this before.....NOT, lol.

Bill Lins likes this.
  6. Warrior1256

Same here, lol.

7. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

I enlisted a few months after 9/11 into my beloved Corps. Besides the fact that a recruit would not be allowed to have a ring anyway, I have no doubt that the Drill Instructors would not take it easy on him. In fact, they might go harder. As for cell phones, obviously that's a big no-no in bootcamp, as are phone calls home, magazines, the ability to refer to oneself in the first person, or to speak to anyone else for that matter.

However, once I got to SOI, I did get a cell phone, as did a lot of the other guys. They were still fairly new, but it was cheaper than buying endless calling cards to call home and you didn't have to stand in line waiting for a pay phone. The only downside was, at least at SOI, the hills were so big around the base that there were very few areas you could get signal, so there was always a little herd of Marines in one spot in the dirt talking on their phones.

Bill Lins and Warrior1256 like this.
  8. acjohnson53

now a days troops get stress cards if the DS is riding him too hard.....LOL

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. acjohnson53

My stress relief was in the front leaning rest position...I musta moved the earth or Fort Leonard Wood....

MarkR, WX2CIB and Bill Lins like this.
  10. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

I heard this rumor decades ago myself.
    Good to hear.

12. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

I also did basic at Leonard Wood, 1969.

13. acjohnson53

He get no special privileges cuz he is on a different mission, but I would introduce my self and let him know, I would expect more out of him cause he my Brother...

Warrior1256 likes this.
  14. oren_hammerquist

oren_hammerquist Registered User

I'm not an expert on this, but I read a story about Theodore Roosevelt. While president, he visited his lodge. His gardener was the WM. But he said he did not discuss it with him outside the lodge because it would embarrass them both. From the military side, introduce yourself after basic. Trainees have a special relationship to DS, cadre, and everyone who is done with basic. It's a complex situation because fraternization rules are so strict now. Might be best to leave communication beyond an introduction to a lodge.

Sent from my SM-T350 using My Freemasonry mobile app

15. acjohnson53

They had cell phones in the early nineties.

Share My Freemasonry