My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Born?!

Shahkem

Peace Brethren! I've always been a bit bothered by this part of the 18th Landmark. And as I further study it, it bothers me more. From what I'm able to gather, if a man was born into slavery, that automatically disqualifies him from membership. That really doesn't bode well with me. How do you guys feel about it?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Morris

Premium Member
I've thought about the same thing before. Then I thought can you have free will if you are not a freed man? I don't think you can and not just talking in terms of slavery but any person subservient to another human, do they truly have free will.

Now, I've had great conversations about if any person truly has free will but that is another question in itself.

I would love to read others thoughts on this as well. I often catch myself too narrow minded.

Jeff

Morris

Premium Member
Haha, I don't even think I gave an answer, maybe I did. I'll sit back and learn now. :)

Jeff

Shahkem

Peace Brethren! I've always been a bit bothered by this part of the 18th Landmark. And as I further study it, it bothers me more. From what I'm able to gather, if a man was born into slavery, that automatically disqualifies him from membership. That really doesn't bode well with me. How do you guys feel about it?

Shahkem

Jeff, a slave can possess the will to be free. Most often, it's isn't the slave's lack of free will that maintains his slave state, it's the barbaric actions of the slave owner, imposing atrocious fear tactics that keeps his slaves in check.

In actuality, the slave owner is just as much a slave than the man he has subservient to him. He's a slave to his animal passions. i.e. George Washington. Regarded as a worthy mason, but was a slave owner. But the 18th landmark is in his favor, but not the victims the inhumane system he benefited from.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Back in the days of slavery most african americans were slaves. If you were born to a slave you were not free born. I guess if a white person was born to a slave he would not be free born either,

Thus prince hall formed.

Plain and simple what it means, and theres no other excuses for its meaning.

Sent From Bro Carl's Freemasonry Pro App

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
You are not alone my Brother!

The problem most Brothers (and future possible Brothers) shall have with this is the misunderstanding that each of them bring to the word freeborn when they read it.

Freeborn (and Free born) did not mean "not born into slavery" as most people define it today. It meant that the person had a superior or excellent* birth and more specifically, he was "able of birth", alluding to all that this simple phrase meant at the time it was first put down in the old charges; and it also implied a whole lot that we have little understanding of in this day and age.

The word freeborn was used to describe the phrase "able of birth" at the original time of its use. It is most unfortunate that semantic drift over the years, that was caused by a myriad of factors, has left the meaning of the word freeborn utterly different from its original intent. The phrase "able of birth" meant that: No man should ever be allowed to Enter who is unsuitable and who would have anything in his character preventing him from being molded into a Superior or Excellent Craftsmen. (and more specifically, no Master or Fellow Craft shall take into his charge and Apprentice such a man!)

(Shameless Plug) I have written extensively upon this subject within Volume 8 of my Uncommon Masonic Education Series, Building Free Men. I show the historical basis for what you have just read, if there is further interest in knowing more about the subject. The material just referred to can be found in chapter VIII, but is best supported be reading the supporting chapters leading up to it first.

Yes! You should be bothered, not by the Landmark my Brother, but by the way it is misunderstood and how this misunderstanding is applied in ignorant and unjust ways. I hope that this Further Light shall assist you in being a Light bearer in a dark forest of indifference and ignorance. Good Luck!

F&S,

Coach John S. Nagy, MM

* The word "Free" within the context of use within the words, Freemason and Freeborn, originally meant "Excellent; Superior". (See chapter III for details)

Last edited:

Levelhead

Premium Member
* The word "Free" within the context of use within the words, Freemason and Freeborn, originally meant "Excellent; Superior". (See chapter III for details)

Dont get me wrong brothers. Any man who took the same obligations i did and got raised like i did is a brother to me "in my heart" but as in my jurisdiction, followed by my law i can only recognize what is allowed and what i promised.

With that said. I do not like the fact of how some things are or how some things WERE. But it happened and ritual is based on its roots and origin.

The word "superior" in your definition would be the opposite of a slave of a man born to a slave.

Its sad brother but it means what it means "free born or freeborn" its how your jurisdiction spells it. I just wish people would stop beating around bush. (Not speaking about anyone here, just people in general).

Now obviously noone that i can fathom in this lifetime can be physically be born to a slave. White, black, whatever.

If a person was born to a slave or for a worse use of words "an actual slave", they would not have control of their life and therefore not qualify.

Sent From Bro Carl's Freemasonry Pro App

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Dont get me wrong brothers. Any man who took the same obligations i did and got raised like i did is a brother to me "in my heart" but as in my jurisdiction, followed by my law i can only recognize what is allowed and what i promised.

With that said. I do not like the fact of how some things are or how some things WERE. But it happened and ritual is based on its roots and origin.
Yes. Some men join the Fraternity and find the Word, and others find nothing that shall enlighten them whatsoever. We have the Fraternity that is a result of many not finding the Word.
The word "superior" in your definition would be the opposite of a slave of a man born to a slave.
In your mind, I can see this. This is not how I take it though. It exists outside the either/or pairing of opposites for me. For me it means as I had stated. A freeborn man is one who is suitable and has nothing holding him back. This would include preconceived notions or those notions accepted as truth which are not.
Its sad brother but it means what it means "free born or freeborn" its how your jurisdiction spells it. I just wish people would stop beating around bush. (Not speaking about anyone here, just people in general).
Yes, it is sad. So many men just accept what is handed to them and do not think for themselves. We accept them into our ranks without question. As a result, we have a fraternity of Brothers who as a whole superficially understand this and other things. And each jurisdiction is supported by the mentality of the whole.
Now obviously noone that i can fathom in this lifetime can be physically be born to a slave. White, black, whatever.
Yet the majority are slaves to their ignorance. Interesting how some things do not change with time.
If a person was born to a slave or for a worse use of words "an actual slave", they would not have control of their life and therefore not qualify.
There is plenty of proof that this is not universal. There are countless stories of those born into slavery who have have been freed due to who they chose to be in their lifetimes.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The roots of Masonry date from a time when serfdom still existed in parts of Europe and chattel slavery still existed in parts of other continents. People born under the yoke were legally unable to keep secrets. The exact wording varies by jurisdiction. I've heard the words you list, bondsman and no mention.

Is this requirement good or bad? The depends on your preconceived notions, doesn't it? Masonry as an organization has tended to lead the way on topics of freedom. Does the fact that there were exceptions spoil that like one rotten apple spoils the barrel? Does the fact that Masonry's freedom movement started as small as a mustard seed that grow steadily and eventually pervaded show that even the best crops grown best when planted in manure?

Sort of depends on if you're a "US glass is 42 51sts full" kind of guy or a "US glass is 9 51sts empty" kind of guy. Improving that number is only some number of Masonic funerals away, and look closely as to which funerals those will have to be. In the US a hundred miles is a short way and a hundred years is a long. In many other parts of the word a hundred klicks is a long way and a hundred years is a short time. If this cliche' were true of everyone in the US I suggest that this question would not have been asked. We should all be from Connecticut in our hearts.

Zack

y. Improving that number is only some number of Masonic funerals away, and look closely as to which funerals those will have to be.

I hate when this statement is made. It smacks of piety and a "holier than thou attitude". It is an ignorant statement.

Shahkem

You are not alone my Brother!

The problem most Brothers (and future possible Brothers) shall have with this is the misunderstanding that each of them bring to the word freeborn when they read it.

Freeborn (and Free born) did not mean "not born into slavery" as most people define it today. It meant that the person had a superior or excellent* birth and more specifically, he was "able of birth", alluding to all that this simple phrase meant at the time it was first put down in the old charges; and it also implied a whole lot that we have little understanding of in this day and age.

The word freeborn was used to describe the phrase "able of birth" at the original time of its use. It is most unfortunate that semantic drift over the years, that was caused by a myriad of factors, has left the meaning of the word freeborn utterly different from its original intent. The phrase "able of birth" meant that: No man should ever be allowed to Enter who is unsuitable and who would have anything in his character preventing him from being molded into a Superior or Excellent Craftsmen. (and more specifically, no Master or Fellow Craft shall take into his charge and Apprentice such a man!)

(Shameless Plug) I have written extensively upon this subject within Volume 8 of my Uncommon Masonic Education Series, Building Free Men. I show the historical basis for what you have just read, if there is further interest in knowing more about the subject. The material just referred to can be found in chapter VIII, but is best supported be reading the supporting chapters leading up to it first.

Yes! You should be bothered, not by the Landmark my Brother, but by the way it is misunderstood and how this misunderstanding is applied in ignorant and unjust ways. I hope that this Further Light shall assist you in being a Light bearer in a dark forest of indifference and ignorance. Good Luck!

F&S,

Coach John S. Nagy, MM

Thank you so much, Brother. I really appreciate the clarification.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Yes. Some men join the Fraternity and find the Word, and others find nothing that shall enlighten them whatsoever. We have the Fraternity that is a result of many not finding the Word.

In your mind, I can see this. This is not how I take it though. It exists outside the either/or pairing of opposites for me. For me it means as I had stated. A freeborn man is one who is suitable and has nothing holding him back. This would include preconceived notions or those notions accepted as truth which are not.

Yes, it is sad. So many men just accept what is handed to them and do not think for themselves. We accept them into our ranks without question. As a result, we have a fraternity of Brothers who as a whole superficially understand this and other things. And each jurisdiction is supported by the mentality of the whole.

Yet the majority are slaves to their ignorance. Interesting how some things do not change with time.

There is plenty of proof that this is not universal. There are countless stories of those born into slavery who have have been freed due to who they chose to be in their lifetimes.
I, too, have always had a problem with the obvious interpretation of "free born." Rather that he who is born into servitude, I would rather not be associated with he who owns another person.

However, I like the deeper interpretation Doc has offered. "Freeborn" people who are not inhibited by ignorance and fear are those whom I wish most to associate with. And these are the people, if we take the second degree in masonry seriously, with whom we will be most associated with. Those who are most equipped to live a life of free will.

dfreybur

Premium Member
It smacks of piety and a "holier than thou attitude".

I do notice that you didn't actually say you think the statement is an incorrect projection of current status into the future. Harsh truths don't switch to false because they are harsh.

The qualification can and should be taken literally as well as figuratively. There's physical bondage which becomes more and more rare as the centuries and decades pass. There's also mental bondage which does fade gradually across time but that has done so more slowly than physical bondage. Grand lodge speculative Masonry is a child of the Romantic and Enlightenment eras. Masonry teaches free thought as one of the parts of making good men better. We are taught to look beyond the veil. The admonition can be taken on the surface as a statement about the afterlife. It can also be taken as breaking free of mental bondage.

Fundies have good reason to want to keep their better men from joining our assemblies when we start discussing such topics. Environmentalists say "Think globally. Act locally". Our parallel might read "Think to an enlightened future. Act today with that future in mind." Not as succinct in words but at least as simple in concept. Excelsior!

jwhoff

Premium Member
I think it is an excellent idea! Both years I was in the East I asked the JW to read the ancient charges, then challenged each member of the particular lodge to challenge their beliefs and thoughts over the next few days of each charge presented.

Not surprisingly, there was much personal feedback from a large number of members of each lodge.

I would love to see you tackle this one Doc.

Zack

I do notice that you didn't actually say you think the statement is an incorrect projection of current status into the future. Harsh truths don't switch to false because they are harsh.

The qualification can and should be taken literally as well as figuratively. There's physical bondage which becomes more and more rare as the centuries and decades pass. There's also mental bondage which does fade gradually across time but that has done so more slowly than physical bondage. Grand lodge speculative Masonry is a child of the Romantic and Enlightenment eras. Masonry teaches free thought as one of the parts of making good men better. We are taught to look beyond the veil. The admonition can be taken on the surface as a statement about the afterlife. It can also be taken as breaking free of mental bondage.

Fundies have good reason to want to keep their better men from joining our assemblies when we start discussing such topics. Environmentalists say "Think globally. Act locally". Our parallel might read "Think to an enlightened future. Act today with that future in mind." Not as succinct in words but at least as simple in concept. Excelsior!

And if obfuscation was music you'd be a brass band.