My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemason Lodges in Prison ??

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
While at work last night, an inmate noticed my Masonic ring. After noticing it, he started asking me questions out of the ritual (Masonic conversation ). I didn't respond except with a laugh. As he continued to ask questions, I finally said "are you a mason ?" He said "I was raised in Prison ? " This was new to me, so I asked where did they receive their charter ? (Red flag in my mind ) He said he did not know, but the lodge was made up of men who were freemasons before they went to prison and wanted to carry the craft on. I've heard of crazy things going on under "Freemasonry" name, but never this. Has anyone heard of this ?

Last edited:

NY.Light.II

Never heard of it. But wouldn't surprise me. Probably irregular. My question is if he claims he was raised, why would he be asking about ritual?

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Never heard of it. But wouldn't surprise me. Probably irregular. My question is if he claims he was raised, why would he be asking about ritual?
Not asking questions in the sense of gaining knowledge, but in the sense of questioning a brother to see if he is a mason. He asked questions about me traveling..... Etc

NY.Light.II

Not asking questions in the sense of gaining knowledge, but in the sense of questioning a brother to see if he is a mason. He asked questions about me traveling..... Etc

Interesting. Again, I would not be surprised if he went through something that had the veneer of regular freemasonry.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Very true... Very true!!

Would just like to hear how they meet? Where, i mean you only have so much free time as a group in prison!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

junae

May really just want to know for REAL , that what he may-have been taught, was really how it is.

NY.Light.II

I understand that in the second world war Masonic lodges operated inside German prison camps. I have not heard that any of those lodges was granted a charter by a regular GL, but equally I have heard nothing but respect for those brethren and their lodges.

Point taken.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
It's not so much as entertaining what he says because I will no violate my solemn obligation, but I will listen to him speak because I'm learning something new.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
So is the position that no matter how many regular brethren may be in a prison, under no circumstances should they hold a lodge?

Perhaps they should form their own Grand Lodge and issue charters to other prisons.

Would your grand lodge grand them a charter?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I understand that in the second world war Masonic lodges operated inside German prison camps. I have not heard that any of those lodges was granted a charter by a regular GL, but equally I have heard nothing but respect for those brethren and their lodges.
Operated by regular Masons. Lodges without a territorial jurisdiction long held the right to form on their own with regular Freemasons. The prisons referred to by OP would be in a territorial jurisdiction and were not formed by regular Masons. Indeed, they would likely be a gang adopting some of our signs and symbols

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
So is the position that no matter how many regular brethren may be in a prison, under no circumstances should they hold a lodge?

Perhaps they should form their own Grand Lodge and issue charters to other prisons.
And just how many regular Masons do you think there are in prison?

As the prison is within a Masonic jurisdiction, it could not form its own Lodge or GL.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Masons interned as POWs are not the same as criminals in prison.

As for someone receiving degrees/having a lodge in prison ... NO.

Someone may very well have received his degrees and been a member in good standing, but the minute he was convicted of a felony, he should have been suspended or expelled. If there are enough of these men in prison to confer degrees, the work they do is without question clandestine.

And no, there is no chance that a regular charter should ever be granted to any prison group.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is a tremendous difference between a POW camp, where the inhabitants are there due to serving their country, and prison, where the inhabitants are there due to having been convicted of a crime or crimes.