My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry and Pop Culture

itsame

So, it seems that every Dan Brown novel/movie brings with it a set of people that become curious about Freemasonry and its teachings. I read Religion Dispatchers and came across an article entitled, "Modernity’s Fraternity: What Dan Brown Gets Right" which was about the Lost Symbol. I read the book a year ago or so:

What Dan Brown Gets Right

I read through this and saw some information that was obviously wrong (like masonry is segregated) but, I was curious as to what other people thought about the article. Do you think these cultural references help to get Masonry into the minds of good men or, does it add fuel to the fire of misunderstanding and conspiracy theories?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I think people are going to find what they want to find. Those that already misunderstand Freemasonary will continue to do so because of their own bias. It wouldn't matter to them if a Mason acting under direction from a Grand Master single-handedly stopped the world from exploding, these same people will still villify the act and the Mason.

Just look at Texas History. It's even more saturated with Masons the American History. The man known as the "Father of Texas" was a Mason who tried to bring Masonary to Texas, Stephen F. Austin. Most of the well-knwon figures in the Texas War of Independance were Masons. All 4 Presidents and Vice-Presidents of the Republic of Texas were Masons and 80-100% of their administrations were Masons as well. The Father of Public Education in Texas was a Mason, Lamar. Most of the major universities in Texas were founded and presided over by Masons. I believe all but 7 of Texas Governors were Masons as well. Yet there is almost no mention of us in school history books.

peace out

Premium Member
Their ceremonies celebrated the ability of the human mind to take control over the body and the physical world, and so to ascend toward God—even to become god-like.

When do I learn this? I need more light!

Wingnut

Premium Member
So, it seems that every Dan Brown novel/movie brings with it a set of people that become curious about Freemasonry and its teachings. I read Religion Dispatchers and came across an article entitled, "Modernity’s Fraternity: What Dan Brown Gets Right" which was about the Lost Symbol. I read the book a year ago or so:

What Dan Brown Gets Right

I read through this and saw some information that was obviously wrong (like masonry is segregated) but, I was curious as to what other people thought about the article. Do you think these cultural references help to get Masonry into the minds of good men or, does it add fuel to the fire of misunderstanding and conspiracy theories?

see prop 11...

In the end, if people are somewhat interested it might get them more interested enough to seek...

M

mark!

I think people are going to find what they want to find. Those that already misunderstand Freemasonary will continue to do so because of their own bias. It wouldn't matter to them if a Mason acting under direction from a Grand Master single-handedly stopped the world from exploding, these same people will still villify the act and the Mason.

Just look at Texas History. It's even more saturated with Masons the American History. The man known as the "Father of Texas" was a Mason who tried to bring Masonary to Texas, Stephen F. Austin. Most of the well-knwon figures in the Texas War of Independance were Masons. All 4 Presidents and Vice-Presidents of the Republic of Texas were Masons and 80-100% of their administrations were Masons as well. The Father of Public Education in Texas was a Mason, Lamar. Most of the major universities in Texas were founded and presided over by Masons. I believe all but 7 of Texas Governors were Masons as well. Yet there is almost no mention of us in school history books.

I find this easy to believe given the way Texas history books are going right now. They pick and choose everything they want to go in there, and they've been leaving out important stuff. Regardless of how important Masons were to developing this Country, and the State, we're viewed as some, whom as you've mentioned don't seek further knowledge, they've read the book or watched the History Channel series that has some people on there depicting us as a satanic cult.