My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Criteria for Petitioners?

CLewey44

Just to dip an oar here too, the "getting-to-know-you" process is actually a 2-way street so it's good that you're not rushing in. Nothing quite like going through the 3 degrees then realising that you don't actually like any of your Lodge brothers.
NO doubt about that. With this lack of "gate guarding" in masonry, the fraternity has allowed many-a-a**-holes to join. Surprised me the lack of maturity by some and sometimes teetering on bullying at times towards our "brothers". We may be "builders" but we don't meet on a construction site.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Surprised me the lack of maturity by some and sometimes teetering on bullying at times towards our "brothers".
I have seen this myself in lodge. I can not and will not tolerate a bully or person that tries to intimidate others. When they try this with me I set them straight immediately! O.K......my rant for today is over, lol.

Keith C

You have gotten some great advice and I think you are following the correct path in delaying putting in your petition.

In my short time in my Lodge I have seen WMs who encouraged a rush to get petitions signed and submitted and some WMs who don't want petitions offered until several Brothers have met with and gotten to know the potential petitioner. I have seen most of those for whom the process was accelerated go through their degrees and disappear and the majority of those who got to know the Brethren become active Lodge members.

DKJohnson

Thanks for the input. Yeah, When I thought back on the conversations I had, I remember the WM saying something about taking time to get to know some of the members and seeing if I feel like it’s a good fit for me and likewise letting them get to know me.

So even though I got the petition signed by some of the members, I don’t think the WM would appreciate me rushing things. My guess is the brothers I spoke with were just trying to be helpful and supportive but that the WM is much more careful about ‘opening the west gate’!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app