My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Master Logos?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Who started this tradition? I'll take a plain S&C logo over a GM's any day. Sorry, I just think it's a little silly.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Who started this tradition? I'll take a plain S&C logo over a GM's any day. Sorry, I just think it's a little silly.

I believe that each GM wants to have something at GL that is uniquely his, other then having a portrait hanging on the wall. Keep in mind that the jewelery committee each year raises over a hundred thousand dollars that goes into the kitty to offset all of the GM's travel expenses . Each one is diffrent, and some of them make more money then others.
As for the GM that started it, i cant tell you, but I will say they have been diffrent since 1977.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
$$$ Money started that idea and money will stop it.
I am all for GM having a seal uniquely his but to sale it I am not game with. If he wants to give it out to promote Masonry then so mote it be but if you need money down there just ask to raise GL dues and let us pay then not let it take up so much time when inside the walls of Lodge and so many pages in our Texas Mason which I still read cover to cover only to finish wishing I had money to buy all the cool stuff.
I do admit though I look forward to seeing the new one every year.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
$$$ Money started that idea and money will stop it.
I am all for GM having a seal uniquely his but to sale it I am not game with. If he wants to give it out to promote Masonry then so mote it be but if you need money down there just ask to raise GL dues and let us pay then not let it take up so much time when inside the walls of Lodge and so many pages in our Texas Mason which I still read cover to cover only to finish wishing I had money to buy all the cool stuff.
I do admit though I look forward to seeing the new one every year.

Brother Rhit, I often wonder why a brother will spend money on jewelery, but raises heck, when ever we talk of raising dues or the percapita tax?
I think everyone will like the next Seal to come out.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Brother Rhit, I often wonder why a brother will spend money on jewelery, but raises heck, when ever we talk of raising dues or the percapita tax?
I think everyone will like the next Seal to come out.

No doubt about that Brother. I really feel it just has not been presented properly. I feel most buy the merchandise to support their GL but wanting something in return especially immediate for their money, merchandise to them is the only sensable option and raising percapita tax seems to them to be throwing money in a dark hole never to reward them. JMHO
We could start by renaming the 14.25 annual returns to 14.25 could buy allot in 1920 but cannot buy snot in 2009 annual returns.

I have seen a list of old seals before maybe that good make a good thread. I loved Tommy Griffins that black and yellow rocked.

scottmh59

the only GM logo that means anything to me,is the one for the GM of the year i was raised. Gl can keep the rest of them....!

Sirius

It always provides an opportunity to get some Masonic paraphernalia that's different. However if the logo is crap, I'm not likely to buy. Overall however, I think it's a great fundraiser.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
No doubt about that Brother. I really feel it just has not been presented properly. I feel most buy the merchandise to support their GL but wanting something in return especially immediate for their money, merchandise to them is the only sensable option and raising percapita tax seems to them to be throwing money in a dark hole never to reward them. JMHO
We could start by renaming the 14.25 annual returns to 14.25 could buy allot in 1920 but cannot buy snot in 2009 annual returns.

I have seen a list of old seals before maybe that good make a good thread. I loved Tommy Griffins that black and yellow rocked.

I have actually heard it presented in the manner you recomend, however it received tremendous oppisition. I am still convinced that there is a way to present it and get the Past Masters of Texas on board.
Having been on RW Griffins planning team, I am pretty partial to that seal as well.

dhouseholder

On eBay a few months ago, someone had like 20 or so GM coins, I should have picked it up!

On the same note, who designs those seals? I can't see each GM physically doing it. Does someone come to him with like 5 different designs and he just picks one?

Jay

Each year I buy a hand full of the new G.M. pins and give one to every newley raised master mason in my lodge (Lakeworth 1410 ) as a gift of brotherly love. At that time I point out to him that the G.M. yearley pin is NOW his year pin and should be something to be proud of.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Each year I buy a hand full of the new G.M. pins and give one to every newley raised master mason in my lodge (Lakeworth 1410 ) as a gift of brotherly love. At that time I point out to him that the G.M. yearley pin is NOW his year pin and should be something to be proud of.:thumbup:

The year I was DDGM, I did the same thing for every new MM whose degree I attended. Not my original idea- I got my first pin from the (then) DDGM when I was raised & I was extremely impressed by his gesture.

Last edited:

kmfisher1

Also a dandy way to raise money for the GL if the emblem just so happens to be a popular winner! Monet generated from the sale of merchandise can be significant.