My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Master of Florida Bans Certain Religions

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
In my humble opinion, it certainly does. And, just a reminder, what you do is a reflection on your mother lodge.

I am familiar with a situation, much less volatile than this, where the member of a lodge sent a letter directly to the GM of his own state, much to the chagrin of the local Deputy. These purple-clad Brethren take the chain of command very seriously.

So, all Master Masons are equal, but some are more equal than others?

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Let's see, if you're a profane according to Florida's new rules, and the GLoTx permits you to partake in Masonic Communication, then Florida is duty-bound to cease recognition of GLoTx...

MajaOES

Writer
Premium Member
I couldn't agree more that what Florida did was wrong. What worries me is the impact it will make on the affiliated organizations in Florida and possibly in other states. Many affiliated bodies are shrinking but need the family Masonic heritage to join. If Florida limits their membership to certain individuals with specific religious beliefs, then they are further shrinking the canidate pool for affiliated bodies. I hope something could be done about this.

widows son

Premium Member
I just read the letter and I thought it was excellent. I think the GM of Florida has done something very unmasonic, and probably has caused more problems for Freemasonry as a whole, which we don't need. He should have his apron taken away.

goldwing850108

I feel more harm will be done to masonry by diluting our standards to increase membership numbers. The inclusion of Odinists, Wicca, Atheists or Islam goes against the masonic ritual. We have on our alter the Christian Holy Bible. Masonic ritual refers to passages from the Holy Bible in many occations. For example, Genesis 1:1-3 in the first degree, Ecclesiastes 12:1-7 in the 3rd degree and at masonic funerals. Also Palms 133 and Amos 7:8. No references from other religions or cults. I have recited these passages many times during obligating candidates. I would never allow a Muslim into our lodge or the Koran to lie on our alter. After all, it is not the Baptist or other christian religions that are placing bombs in super markets or on airplanes full of innocent people. You might recall right after 9-11-01 the entire Islamic world were cheering and dancing in the streets with joy after killing 3,000 people in America. Christians teach love not hate. My personal opinion is the Florida G M is correct. Like this or not everything I have said here is the truth.

chrmc

I feel more harm will be done to masonry by diluting our standards to increase membership numbers. The inclusion of Odinists, Wicca, Atheists or Islam goes against the masonic ritual. We have on our alter the Christian Holy Bible. Masonic ritual refers to passages from the Holy Bible in many occations. For example, Genesis 1:1-3 in the first degree, Ecclesiastes 12:1-7 in the 3rd degree and at masonic funerals. Also Palms 133 and Amos 7:8. No references from other religions or cults. I have recited these passages many times during obligating candidates. I would never allow a Muslim into our lodge or the Koran to lie on our alter. After all, it is not the Baptist or other christian religions that are placing bombs in super markets or on airplanes full of innocent people. You might recall right after 9-11-01 the entire Islamic world were cheering and dancing in the streets with joy after killing 3,000 people in America. Christians teach love not hate. My personal opinion is the Florida G M is correct. Like this or not everything I have said here is the truth.

A statement like the one above just clearly shows me that you haven't grasped the core of masonry. It's about coming together as men across religion, race, color, political beliefs and what have you to become better men. I agree that we should not let anyone into the lodge just to boost numbers, but rejecting a brother because he is Muslim, Wiccan or anything similar is not in line with any masonic creed, and I dare you to find a reference that will agree with you.

widows son

Premium Member
I agree, that's probably the most intolerant statement I've heard come from a mason. But then again you have the right to believe what you want. IMO however that very statement is ignorant. Masonry teaches one to be welcoming to other beliefs rather than turning your back, to be loving and tolerant, to be role models. The people shown to be cheering after 9/11 do not represent the entirety of the Muslim world, and was a group, the not the entire mid east. Also this footage was shown to elicit feelings, which worked because not too long after, Afghanistan and Iraq happened. Goldwing there is beauty in this world that exists in every person, we all are children of the maker, to say that you are superior due to a religious ideal, is no different than those dancing in the street with your flag burning. You are angry at them for that, but yet you turn around and do the very same thing to them.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Let's see, if you're a profane according to Florida's new rules, and the GLoTx permits you to partake in Masonic Communication, then Florida is duty-bound to cease recognition of GLoTx...

Not quite; we are "duty-bound" (obliged) to follow the edicts and laws of Our Grand Lodge. Florida on the other hand may have to deal with UGLE recognition, and that my brother will be an albatross they wish they hadn't dealt with... A rather "sticky wicket" if you will :)

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Goldwing,

And on 4-19-95 a Christian killed 168 of his fellow citizens in OKC... your argument is invalid, and completely unmasonic. I'd advise you not to Travel too far from home, as their are a number of Brethren who follow Islam. And they weren't dancing in the streets, they were weeping with the rest of us.

Many Lodges have three VSLs on their altar, every meeting. And that just covers the Abrahamic religions. Oh, wait, one of those is Islam.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I feel more harm will be done to masonry by diluting our standards to increase membership numbers. The inclusion of Odinists, Wicca, Atheists or Islam goes against the masonic ritual.

Muslims have been admitted to Freemasonry for well over a century. This includes within the Grand Lodge of Texas, if not for over a century, certainly in the present day. Of course, there are masons in the USA who brought charges against their brothers for admitting "a nonwhite man" in 2009...

CajunTinMan

I posted this elseware but it applies to this.
I know this is not "politically correct" but is this a bad thing or is he is he puging beliefs that are not in line with Masonic tenets? I didn't read in this edict that it was against non-Christian religons or beliefs. I didn't see anything about Jewish or Islamic religions being mentioned as needing to be banned as an example.

Odinism

Odinism is a polytheistic religion. We believe in and honour the life-giving and bountiful gods and goddesses of the Odinic pantheon, whom we refer to collectively as the High Gods of Asgarth, or as the Æsir and Vanir. Our gods are true gods, divine, living, spiritual entities, endowed with power and intelligence, able and willing to intervene in the course of Nature and of human lives. It behoves us to seek their goodwill and succour through prayer and sacrifice. But the gods do not require us to abase and humble ourselves; they do not seek to make of us craven slaves. Odinists therefore do not bow or kneel or kow-tow to the gods, but address them proudly like free, upstanding men and women. Odinists regard our gods, not as our masters, but as firm friends and powerful allies.
ODINIST FELLOWSHIP,
B.M. EDDA,
LONDON WC1N 3XX.

General principles of Wiccan beliefs:

Wicca is an almost completely decentralized religion. George Knowles, a Wiccan author, has said: "“Wicca has no high authority, no single leader, no prophet and no Bible to dictate its laws and beliefs”. [SUB]1[/SUB] Many, perhaps most, Wiccans are solitary practitioners. Others form small local groups called covens, groves, etc. Thus, there probably are almost as many sets of Wiccan beliefs as there are Wiccans.
Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Author: B.A. Robinson

Gnosticism: Ancient and modern

Deity
: The Supreme Father God or Supreme God of Truth is remote from human affairs; he is unknowable and undetectable by human senses. She/he created a series of supernatural but finite beings called Aeons. One of these was Sophia, a virgin, who in turn gave birth to an defective, inferior Creator-God, also known as the Demiurge. (Demiurge means "public craftsman" in Greek.) This lower God is sometimes called Yaldabaoth or Ialdabaoth Jaldabaoth -- from Aramaic words meaning "begetter of the Heavens." This is Jehovah, the God of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). He is portrayed as the creator of the earth and its life forms. He is viewed by Gnostics as fundamentally evil, jealous, rigid, lacking in compassion, and prone to genocide. The Demiurge "thinks that he is supreme. His pride and incompetence have resulted in the sorry state of the world as we know it, and in the blind and ignorant condition of most of mankind."
Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Author: B.A. Robinson

CajunTinMan

It is a violation of our tenants to ask a man's creed.

And if he freely gives it? Or it is determined later that he lied about his beliefs to get in? Don’t get me wrong. I am not prejudice against these people because of their beliefs. Well, to be honest, not all the people. I am a big fan of Eastern Philosophy for one. But that still doesn’t mean that every belief fits with Masonry.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
You're sitting between two Brothers of your lodge. One is a Baptist, one is a Wiccan. But you don't know which. Do you mistrust both of them? Are you ready to "purge the lodge?"
Freemasonry is known to accept men of every creed. Period. If you purging the lodge of every flavour you don't like, who's next? You claim to like Eastern Philosophy? Well, Buddhists traditionally have no SB, or VSL. I guess you'd better add them to your list. And Hindus? Too close to pantheism, better cut them out...

Who decides? Where does it stop?
It should stop now. I repeat; it violates everything we stand for, the very reason we exist.

CajunTinMan

The Landmarks decide. And yes in another post I did include Buddhist. And Freemasonry is not known for accepting every creed. I know many young Masons believe it does but it doesn't. And are you saying that we should just ignore the Landmarks because they don't fit with modern thinking?

Last edited: