My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you worn your white leather apron?

Have you ever worn your white leather apron?

• Yes

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • Not untill I die

Votes: 31 17.8%

• Total voters

Jon D. Smith

I have worn mine on three occasions:
Visitation of the GLWM to the Alvin Lodge, installation of officers at the Alvin Lodge and the installation of officers at my home Lodge in League City.
Not that there is anything wrong with the white cloth apron at all (it’s what’s on the inside of the man, right?) but, I agree with the Brother stating that it has a different feel. It does make me feel proud and I think it also conveys respect. Once again not to infer anything negative…I do not think that the white cloth apron conveys disrespect or even a lack of respect.
I’m also one of the guys that will wear a suit to those types of occasions even though I am not an officer of our Lodge. It just feels right to me.

4thgenPM

Gentlemen, we are charged to wear them on "all proper occasions." What you deem proper is up to you. Until I received my PM apron, I wore my white apron whenever possible, especially to degrees and Grand Lodge. I now mostly wear my PM apron on those occasions, but it is perfectly acceptable to wear your leather apron whenever you want to in a Masonic setting...and it is ESPECIALLY appropriate at Masonic funerals.

I think of it this way...I was presented a lambskin (or leather) apron to wear as the badge of a Mason...the cloth ones that look like someone has blown their nose and used it for a Kleenex just don't quite meet that standard in my mind.

Whatever your choice on whether or not you wear your apron, please just make sure that your family knows where it is when you pass into the celestial Lodge above so it can be interred with you...and, if you keep it in a tube please think of changing that...there is nothing that looks more embarrasing than when the Funeral Master places a leather apron on the casket and it rolls up on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:

wa5oye

I wear mine at funerals of relatives that were masons and brothers that were close friends other than brothers at the lodge.
wa5oye

David

Interesting question, I always thought it was placed in your coffin upon death. Glad to hear that is not the case. Learned something tonight.

owls84

Premium Member
Gentlemen, we are charged to wear them on "all proper occasions." What you deem proper is up to you. Until I received my PM apron, I wore my white apron whenever possible, especially to degrees and Grand Lodge. I now mostly wear my PM apron on those occasions, but it is perfectly acceptable to wear your leather apron whenever you want to in a Masonic setting...and it is ESPECIALLY appropriate at Masonic funerals.

I think of it this way...I was presented a lambskin (or leather) apron to wear as the badge of a Mason...the cloth ones that look like someone has blown their nose and used it for a Kleenex just don't quite meet that standard in my mind.

Whatever your choice on whether or not you wear your apron, please just make sure that your family knows where it is when you pass into the celestial Lodge above so it can be interred with you...and, if you keep it in a tube please think of changing that...there is nothing that looks more embarrasing than when the Funeral Master places a leather apron on the casket and it rolls up on its own.

This is very good insight on a topic that is normally over looked, thank you Brother.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I was told by an older mason that he wears his every time he can wear an apron. He doesnt worry about it being dirty or soiled, for it shows that he has been laboring in the mines...

J

JEbeling

Wore mine when I was installed as Master of our lodge.. !
and again when I received my 25 year pin.. !

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I added to the list of times to wear mine: to all Master Mason degrees in my Lodge.

scottmh59

ive worn mine twice
to rhits g dads service and for a picture with my dad,who was also wearing his. i thin k i am going to get a shadow box to put it in so i can display it.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
It is customary in the Grand Jurisdiction of Kentucky for lodges to furnish aprons to members and visitors. My big concerns with this custom is that most lodges (including my own) are lax in keeping the aprons snow white. And, two, as aprons wear out, they should be replaced. I have never worn my apron, but, perhaps it is something I should consider.

owls84

Premium Member
ive worn mine twice
to rhits g dads service and for a picture with my dad,who was also wearing his. i thin k i am going to get a shadow box to put it in so i can display it.

I thought of the shadow box idea, but I was told that in light it will turn yellow pretty quick. Has anyone experienced this? I keep mine in the bottom of a drawer so it is out of light and flat.

B

BrianM

I keep my apron in my tube along with my last wishes written down on piece of paper tucked into the bib so my wife will know what to do when my time comes (eg. Masonic services , SR services and OES service and what she should do with my rings , pins/tie clasps and Masonic books) and who to get in touch with as to have the services set up so it will be one last thing for her to worry about . I have a linen apron that I take with me when out visiting that I throw in the wash with my whites to keep snow white then iron .

Last edited by a moderator:

dhouseholder

I wore mine the the re-constitution of Doric Lodge #420. The GM opened a representation of the GLoT and we all wore tuxes. It is a "traditional observance" lodge that meets at Holland. Very cool.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I keep my apron in my tube along with my last wishes written down on piece of paper tucked into the bib so my wife will know what to do when my time comes (eg. Masonic services , SR services and OES service and what she should do with my rings , pins/tie clasps and Masonic books) and who to get in touch with as to have the services set up so it will be one last thing for her to worry about . I have a linen apron that I take with me when out visiting that I throw in the wash with my whites to keep snow white then iron .

Great info! I never thought about doing that.

B

BrianM

Great info! I never thought about doing that.

Thanks . After I was Raised , I brought my Apron home and handed it to my wife , told her to put it away for me until my day comes . Preparing for a funeral is hectic enough and this way she will not have to hunt for it , she'll know exactly where it is and what to do .