My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide!!!!

help me decide!

• sky diving

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • mountain biking

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • scuba diving

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Mlugo1247

Premium Member
Brothers,

Help me pick which one one to take up. Sky Diving, Mountain Biking, or Scuba Diving.

Each one sounds awesome, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out which one I should take up.

JJones

Why jump out of a perfectly good plane?!

Mountain biking sounds fun, and cheaper, but I've always thought scuba diving would be pretty exciting.

kwilbourn

I voted Mt. Biking, all good activities, but the mountain bike has the distinct advantage of being both less expensive and easier to make time for since there isn't typically long distance travel required.

SC Heston

Premium Member
Wow! That is a tough three options.

First, you are considering enjoying one of the classic elements Earth, Air or Water.

Second, consider the financial impact of your initial investment. Skydiving will incur costs for training and certification, aircraft & fuel surcharges, and equipment, if you choose to buy your own. Renting will be an option. Scuba Diving will incur costs for training and certification, charter boat charges & tip for the crew (if diving offshore), rental gear charges or if you buy your own, expect to pay close to $1000 for the full initial investment. Mountain Biking is relatively inexpensive to get into. The first two require equipment not found in a local department store, whereas a bike can be found in any Wal-Mart, Target or specialty store and you can grab a bike and go...working your way up to the challenge of a real mountain when ready.

Third, locale. Sky Diving can be done at pretty much any airport where you can find a Sky Diving operation or find a club locally that does it and travels to a destination ot do said activity. Same goes for Scuba Diving. Not too many inland locations in Texas to dive, especially now, but the coast offers many options and there are many beatuiful vacation destinations where you can take a quick dive and see. Mountain Biking, not too many mountains in Texas, but put your bike in the back of a truck or on top of the car and the world is your oyster, although anywhere you can't get with a car or truck is good to enjoy a bike ride.

Fourth, Risk of activity. Each has their inherent risks involved. I suppose sky diving has several risks, but one very apparent one...a non opening or tangled chute. Scuba Diving has many, of which I won't go into detail, but will be taught in your classes and include Nitrogen Narcosis, Pulmonary Embolism, Oxygen Toxicity, bites, stings, scrapes, and other issues. If you have ANY health issues, it is a must that you talk to your physician prior to taking up this activity. You will be REQUIRED to fill out a form saying you are in good health PRIOR to signing up for a class. I know this because I am a Certified PADI Divemaster. Mountain Biking is risky too. Biking along narrow trails of all types, falling, scrapes, breaks, getting stranded with a flat tire, busted frame, etc.

Fifth, stress exposure. Sky Diving, can't say how stressful this is, so I cannot comment. Scuba Diving is stressful if you make it stressful. Keeping calm in a situation can mean the difference between life & death. Not to scare you, but it is a reality. I have been caught in downcurrents and in very strong sub-surface currents that took me out toward shipping lanes off of SoCal. Not fun, but staying calm and acting appropriately saved my life both times. Never been bitten by a shark or even seen a shark (capable of eating me) in the open water. Diving in a world class aquarium is different and fun. Mountain Biking is as stressfull as you make it. You set the pace and control the progression and can stop when you choose. You cannot just stop a free-fall during a sky dive or pop to the surface during a scuba dive at a moments notice.

Sixth, weather. Sky Diving..again, probably not in stormy or cold weather. Scuba Diving can be done in almost any climate and temperature limited to your exposure suit options. Mountain Biking, well...that is left at your option. Rain or Shine.

There are probably more than this to consider, but as for me, I enjoy the heck out of scuba diving, but don't get much of a chance to do it anymore living in Central Texas in a drought and don't get to the Gulf very often. I ride my mountain bike when the weather isn't at extremes and then not at an extreme pace, but more so just to get out and do something. I have never been sky diving and don;t see why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

Each one has its' own uniqueness and thrill level. I went with Scuba because I had ambitions of travelling the world to dive in exotic locations. Then stopped in SoCal and didn't leave for a long time because the diving was so awesome there...no kidding!

If you take up Scuba, let me know and I'll go diving with ya.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
Scuba! Although you make a tastier, fresher meal for the local wildlife you have a better chance of meeting adventurous members of the opposite sex.

Of course, I'm all about keeping one's eye on the ultimate goal.

:37:

MikeMay

Premium Member
Each one sounds awesome, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out which one I should take up.

As was said before, why jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Mountain biking might be cheaper, but the scenery is better while scuba diving....just sayin...

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
Scuba ;-) been doing it for years love it. It can be expensive but it sure is fun, plus if you combine it with a vacation (scuba package) you will have a blast. I try to get to Cozumel once a year on a dive trip it costs anywhere from $500-800 all inclusive hotel, food, booz, and plane ticket :)

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I would have to go with scuba. I have been certified for 15 years and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have been diving all over the world and it never gets old. There are some good shops where you live. My dad lives there and we have made many a trip to the Gulf of Mexico out to the Flower Garden Banks NMS and Stetson Banks NMS. There is also Canyon Lake where they do a lot of diving also. The biggest investment is your equipment and it can be either a cheap as you want or as expensive. Good for good quality gear and take care of it and it will last for a very long time. I have a Sherwood regulator that I bought when I started and I am still using it. Scuba equipment is like a car as long as you do the proper maintenace on it it will last and last. My next choice would be skydiving. I tried it several years ago and loved it, but the price to do it can be very expensive. Lessons are not that bad once you do your ground school. I think where I went it was $125 for the first jump and $45 for all the ones after that. That was no rental equipment. I have a friend that has 1000's of jumps and his gear cost him about 6k to buy.