My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hugo Chavez at Grand Lodge of Texas

DavidFernandez

Premium Member
I heard that Hugo Chavez visited the GLOT in the mid 90's. Does anyone know anything about this? Were any of you present?

I looked online, and found nothing. But I did find that he is no longer a Mason, as his views changed over the years, he was expelled by the Grand Master of Venezuela. Not sure if this is true, but that's what was posted.

Thanks! Let me know if you know anything on this subject.

Sincerely & Fraternally,
David Fernandez III, PM
Lorenzo De Zavala Lodge No. 1397
Houston, Texas

DavidFernandez

Premium Member
I spoke to a Brother in Venezuela today, and he told me that Chavez tried to join the Craft in Venezuela previously, but was not taken seriously. The Bro. from Venezuela does admit however, that there has been a rumor for quite some time, that Hugo Chavez got the Masonic Degrees in the neighboring country of Paraguay.

I will found out who the South American President was who visited the GLOT back in the mid 90's. It doesn't sound like it was Chavez.

Last edited:

DavidFernandez

Premium Member
I believe you are right Bro. David.

I will ask R.W. Tommy Guest about the South American President's visit. I do not know who it could have been.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I don't know when the Convocation starts, but Tranquility meets at 9:30am at the Quebe Temple. A few of the guys from my Lodge are going for the first time. I saw a few eyes get big when I told them about Tranquility not being just a Moon Lodge but the actual Lodge of the Moon, thanks to Bro. Aldren claiming the moon for Texas.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Nice! I'm a bit excited to go. Our Lodge has a membership that passes to the WM each year, and his were some of the eyes that light up.