My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for a newly raised brother?

Cuautemoc

I was raised within the last two weeks and feel a bit overwhelmed with what is ahead of me, including lodge etiquette, opportunities to serve, items to study/contemplate/reflect, joining an appendant body, etc.

If you had the opportunity to "do over" or " do differently" in your masonic career, what suggestions might you recommend to a one such as I?

rfuller

Premium Member
Take your time. You still have a lot to learn. Every appendant body with a member at your lodge will be trying to get you "to come on by, and check it out!" I'd say you need to get comfortable at the Blue Lodge first. A common rule of thumb is "wait a year." Personally I'm not going to join an appendant body until I've sat in the East. It's a personal thing. I'm not saying everyone should adhere to that. I'm sure there are a ton of brothers from the appendant bodies who would say I could learn so much to help me as WM. Maybe they're right.

I would recommend taking some time to think about what Masonry means to you. Do some reading. There are volumes and volumes of books on all kinds of topics that you can read and research. The Masonic Education portion of this website is a great resource and can help point you to some great books.

As far as etiquette goes, find someone to mentor you. Texas doesn't really hold the Top Line Signer accountable to mentoring the new brother. I find it to be a shame. I would talk to whomever taught you the work. Sometimes they're so concerned with making sure you learn the work they forget about basic things like etiquette.

But I would like to remind you, Masonry is a lifelong pursuit, not a race. Take your time and keep searching for further light.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
As far as etiquette goes, just watch the others and do as they do. As for education, every time you are in Lodge, start doing every officer's part in your head as they do it. Learn early. That way, when the time comes for you to be called to sit in a chair, you've already got your work down. Pick a degree work part you think you'd like to do and start working on it. That will get you involved in the fun part of Masonry right away. Get up the part for the SS or JW in the EA. Both are speaking parts and easy.

It's each to his own as to joining appendant bodies. Joining the York Rite gives you a lot of further information you don't have. Some choose to do it early (I did about 5 months after being raised), some wait, some never do it at all (my dad is almost a 50-year Mason and never has joined an appendant body of any kind). Be mindful, though, that everything you join comes along with its own dues notice. There is no rush, though.

The two main things are to: 1. Don't burn yourself out. You don't have to eat the whole pie at one sitting. 2. Travel and visit. That's what Masonry is really all about, meeting people and sharing a bond. There isn't a Lodge in Northeast Tennessee where I don't know people. Through my duties in the YR, I am on the phone each week talking to someone from every corner of the state.

I am a historian, so learning the history of my Lodge and Masonry in my state was important to me. I don't know how old your Lodge is, but even if its history is brief, I bet there are still some interesting facts. Read up Masonry in Texas. Some famous Texas Masons were famous Tennessee Masons first, so that would be a good place to start!

Lowcarbjc

- Do what your GL does, the way they do it. Worry about other constitutions and forms of the craft another day.

- Dont try to understand everything about freemasonry all at once, but do ask if something you were given doesn't add up or make sense.

- Attend as many meetings you can from your own but even more important, other lodges too.

- Stay away from the fricken internet, especially stay away from things for other degrees...it's just not wort spoiling it for yourself.

- Dont get involved with lodge/people politics everrr.

- If ever you meet a brother who is a total ass, (yep it happens) remember this: The craft itself is always beautiful and pure, people are not.

- Have fun!

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Attend lodge, visit other lodges, begin learning the Ritual (all of it). Get to know your lodgeroom and it's set-up.
*and now for the sappy metaphors* Take your time, allow it grow around you, and you within it.
Masonry is a fine meal and it should be savoured one bite at a time.