My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importance of sitting in the East

Virgin Islands Brother

I was talking to a brother, who did not like what a member of an irregular lodge said to him. They were discussing masonry. At some point, my brother, who has been slowly but surely moving through the chairs, was asked why he is "only" an RA mason after 8 years as a mason ? This individual, from the irregular lodge, was quite proud of with the degrees accumulated on the SR. However, he never sat in the East, whereas, that's my brother's goal. However, his comment was equally interesting. All those degrees and has never been the master of a lodge. In your opinion, where do you feel the focus should be? Job and family permitting, can one successfully focus on both? Does it even matter?

David Hill

Ultimately, I think each brother should follow his heart and engage the craft in the manner that makes him happiest. If his goals change later in life, there's always plenty of time to shift priorities. There's no reason to make any kind of value judgment about the steps a brother takes on his path.

phulseapple

Premium Member
The man from the irregular lodge clearly does not understand Masonry. He appears to be associating the number of degrees as a sign of rank, which is not the case. He has totally missed the point that there are only 3 degrees that are most important, the highest being that of Master Mason. All the rest, when it comes right down to it, merely signify membership in the other appendant bodies. Can one do both as in becoming a WM and being in the other bodies, yes, if you follow the lessons of the Blue Lodge Degrees, you can do both.

chrmc

Sorry to say, but none of them are important in my opinion. Masonry takes a good man and makes him better, and that is fully contained within the three degrees of the blue lodge, and these should have enough teachings to occupy anyone for a long time if they wanted.

However having said that I fully understand and support the brothers that want to expand their knowledge, learnings and understanding of masonry by joining the other rites. I've done that myself and I've benefited from it.

When it comes to sitting in the chairs I also believe that there are important lessons to be learned here, but moving to the East comes much more down to being able to be a good servant of the lodge and being a good manager. Just as all of us do not have the same skills in life, we are not all made out to sit in the East. A lodge can suffer much more from a poor Master than that individual can gain by being able to say he sat in the East for a year.

widows son

Premium Member
I agree but the lodge also has the responsibility to know of the person they elected to be master, and should know if the individual is capable of executing his office

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I agree but the lodge also has the responsibility to know of the person they elected to be master, and should know if the individual is capable of executing his office

That is true, but sometimes we get fooled. Some Brethren do not show their true character, or lack thereof, until they attain power.

CajunTinMan

The man from the irregular lodge clearly does not understand Masonry. He appears to be associating the number of degrees as a sign of rank, which is not the case. He has totally missed the point that there are only 3 degrees that are most important, the highest being that of Master Mason. All the rest, when it comes right down to it, merely signify membership in the other appendant bodies. Can one do both as in becoming a WM and being in the other bodies, yes, if you follow the lessons of the Blue Lodge Degrees, you can do both.

Wait a minute. You mean my 290the degree of Grand Imperial King of the North that I got online form The Grand lodge of the Earth, Seas and Four winds doesn’t make me the highest ranking Mason on the planet? And I planned on traveling the world promoting myself as the ultimate authority on Freemasonry. Well that was a wasted $20.

Last edited:

daddyrich

One of the coolest things I was told when I was raised, by a brother who was former GM of Masons in California, was that no matter of degrees seperates us in dignity. Master Masons are Masters and equal as brothers. It's been shown to me time and again and proved true and it makes me proud to be a Freemason.

Virgin Islands Brother

Once again you have given some thought stimulating contributions. This is what I have learned from your contributions.

Regardless of rank, the three blue lodge degrees make us equal-regardless, and we should know them thoroughly. A person not prepared to sit in the East, regardless of where they stand in line, should not. Finally, we all have different strengths. Masonry is meant to make good men better. At the end of the day, if the good man has not gotten better or has gotten worse, then the real mission has not been accomplished.

I'm going to show my brother this thread. I know his heart is in the right place, but brief reminders, like these, can have long lasting positive effects.

phulseapple

Premium Member
Wait a minute. You mean my 290the degree of Grand Imperial King of the North that I got online for The Grand lodge of the Earth, Seas and Four winds. Doesn’t make me the highest ranking Mason on the planet? And I planned on traveling the world promoting myself as the ultimate authority on Freemasonry. Well that was a wasted $20.
Now that's funny right there. Good one.

timgould

Hey, find something you like to do, and do it well. What direction you face makes little difference if you are enjoying yourself.

JJones

Wait a minute. You mean my 290the degree of Grand Imperial King of the North that I got online form The Grand lodge of the Earth, Seas and Four winds doesn’t make me the highest ranking Mason on the planet? And I planned on traveling the world promoting myself as the ultimate authority on Freemasonry. Well that was a wasted $20.

Silly Cajun, everyone knows that the 33rd degree is the only one that counts. :001_cool:

widows son

Premium Member
I've heard something down the lines that GLs in America try and prevent the rites of Memphis from being practiced. Whats deal with that?