My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Order of Job's Daughters

Bro. Gerry Kendle

Are there any members who are associated with or have daughters in the IOJD? Can we get a forum on this Masonic body for girls which is similar to Rainbow girls but requires a masonic heritage associated with the girls.

Dana

Jobs Daughters was in Texas but there were only a very few chapters and they are no longer in Texas... Not sure why. But the Mother advisor of our Rainbow Assembly was both a Jobs daugher and a Rainbow Girl and she said that the initiation in Rainbows is prettier. I am not sure I was only in Rainbows but that is what I have been told.

Dana

I think so but I am not 100% sure and don't like to say things like that if I am not sure. but I do think that is correct.

david918

Premium Member
Here is Grand Master Dodson's edict on the matter:

To all whom it may concern,

It is with saddened heart that I write this.What you will read here is not one of the tasks that I,as Grand Master,expected or wanted to do.

For the last three years the Trustees of the Grand Lodge of Texas have been requesting the three Masonic Youth Groups to make sure that the Masonic Youth were protected by implementing some form of background checks on their adult advisors and have them trained in Child Protection Awareness.DeMolay International already had both of these requirements in place.The International Order of Rainbow for Girls didnot have them three years ago but because of the request by the Grand Lodge,they designed and implemented both these safeguards.Unfortunately,Job's Daughter's International chose to ignore all request made to it.

Job's Daughter's International dues not have these safeguards for their girls and have made no effort at the Supreme level to even begin implementing them.Because of this.in the first part of April this year the Grand Lodge Trustees requested that the three adult leaders of the Youth Groups in texas; DeMolay International,International Order of Rainbow,and the Job's Daughters International,certify that all their advisors have been background checked,protection trained and return the Certification Form to Grand Lodge by July 1,2006. Both the DeMolay and Rainbow adult leaders replied complying with this request.The Job's Daughters responded by answering that they could not certify their advisors.

This response by the Job's Daughters has come after months of negotiating in trying to find a way to comply with the request of the Grand Lodge.The adult leaders of the Job's Daughters in Texas have done everything within their power to comply with the necessary training and background checks.They already had devised their own system to implement these two requirements.Texas DeMolay offered their system as a way to certify the Job's Daughters advisors.The Supreme Guardian Council of Job's Daughters International rejected both alternatives and told the adult leaders of the Job's daughters in Texas to cease and desist all efforts to comply.

The issue for Grand Lodge is ,that because Job's Daughters has no Child Protection Program,it places the Grand Lodge in a position to be sued should a child abuse incident occur,because the Grand Lodge recognizes and allows Job's Daughters to meet in Texas as an approved Masonic Youth Group.

Based on the above circumstances,as Grand Master,whose fiduciary duty is to protect the Grand Lodge from reproach,I now edict that Texas Mason's will no longer be allowed to sponsor,advise,associate with or assist Job's daughters International.This edict is to take place immediately.This action results in the following:

* The Grand Lodge of Texas strongly recommends that no Bethel of Job's daughters be allowed to meet in a Masonic edifice.

*No Mason belonging to a Lodge under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas may be a member of any board,committee,or hold any office in the Job's Daughters.

*No Mason belonging to a Lodge under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of texas can be present at a meeting of the Job's Daughters.

This edict will be in force until December 2,2006 when further legislation will be acted upon at the Annual Communication of the Grand Lodge of Texas.

Unfortunately this edict is necessary to protect the Grand Lodge,as well as the Masonic youth of our state.As I mentioned this is not something I want to do but having been elected by you to serve as Grand Master,it is needed to protect our Grand Lodge,

Sincerely and fraternally,

Brian R Dodson
Grand Master

Dana

Well, there ya go... I had heard but not seen for myself and don't like to gossip or say hear say but it is sad to me Grand Lodge just wants our kids safe and is taking steps to protect them and educate them on protecting themselves. It seems to be a very very very simple and responsible request to me. I am a single mom of 3 and all of my kids know how to protect themselves and what to do in most situations Rainbow and Demolay both taught them alot of that.

4thgenPM

As a follow up to PGM Dodson's edict on this matter, the Grand Lodge voted in December of 2006 to continue the edict until such time as Job's Daughters complied with the youth protection training requirement. One of the things I found interesting during that discussion was when PGM Boyd Patterson (2003) informed us that he had sent the original letter to the youth groups on this matter during his term. As I remember it, he stated that he never got a response from Job's.

Just after that vote, Job's International posted a letter on their website stating that they would find alternate ways to continue to meet in Texas pursuant to a provision in their By-Laws that allows them to meet without a Master Mason present in extreme situations. I attempted to find that letter again to post it here, but couldn't get the Job's International website to load. If someone else happens to come across it, I believe that it would only be fair to post their response.

Dana

I tried pulling it up as well and can not seem to get it to load either. I agree with you it should be posted so both sides are represented. A one sided issue never gives all the details or information. Just a slanted view.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
That is sad but not sure why they would not do what was asked of them kinda scary of you ask me, seems like they are hiding or protecting something which I am sure they are not but sure looks that way. Our kids deserve the most secure enviroment we can provide them and this is the least we could do to protect them.

Dana

Sad that they would not comply yes but it looks like the website is just down or something like an issue ... the states that have JOBS are all still up and running fine. I think (hope) that it is an issue that can be resolved and we can post thier side on the conflict just so we know. Why they did not want to protect our kids from the current day dangers.

owls84

Premium Member
What I find sad about this is that Jobs Daughters in Texas had found a way to be in compliance and all checked out but were forced to cease by the Supreme Council. I wonder why ANYONE would stop somthing like this from happening if it can be done. Sounds like to me that a EGO or two may have gotten in the way. Is there a response from Jobs Daughters Supreme Council on the decision?

Bro. Gerry Kendle

Well I beliee The International is now on board with this. I am required now to attend a Youthnprotection Program for 8 hours and send in my fingerprints for a background check. Looks Like the Jobies have come around

nick1368

I was at GL when this was voted on...my frist visit to GL matter of fact. It was a very heated disscussion back and forth on both sides. It is sad that the State level was willing but the International wasn't. Really made me wonder who were they trying to protect...

Dana

Well, until they do Rainbow is an option and there is no rule saying they can not be in both JObies and IORG when it is all settled ...if it gets all settled. Dallas has a pretty active Rainbow assembly if you want more information I will be happy to get it for you.

Bro. Gerry Kendle

Well I know these protections are now in Place. I will be driving to Richmond Va. on Monday for 8 hours of trining at the Supreme Session in the Youth protection program. Then I have to submit paperwork for a background check. Maybe Job's Daughters can return to Texas.

ReAnna

Hello! I am a Past Honored Queen of Corpus Christi Bethel, and would like to know if ANYONE has ANY information on the status of re-instating Texas Bethels. I am now 21, and am sad to say that in my last years of being a Job's Daughter, my Bethel did not hold any meetings in full regalia, the way we did when our bethel was new. I am an original member of the Bethel, and hated to see it close like it did, along with the other Texas Bethels. In addition to having not seen one of the beautiful meetings we used to hold, i was never able to have a majority service, something that almost broke my heart.
I miss everything about job's Daughters and just want to know that there is hope. i havent heard anything since our bethel stopped being active.

Dana

ReAnna,
There is always hope. I am so sorry you did not get to have your Majority Service. I have not heard anything about re-instating this order to our Texas youth. However, while looking for information to post from the Jobs Daughter side of the tear I did find that other states are going strong sooooo if it were me I would contact one of the other jurisdictions perhaps at the least you can recieve your majority.