My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Freemasonry a Patriotic Body?

A common connection with Freemasonry is that it is a patriotic organization. While it suggests certain attributes of patriotism, the multi-national spread of the fraternity would suggest something other than a direct form of nationalistic adherence.

So then, is Freemasonry a patriotic body?

The answer is a challenging one. Simply put, it is and it isn’t.

The aims of Freemasonry are not specifically to embolden specific patriotism. It does, however, promote a strong affinity towards, and a passionate adherence to the nation in which the Freemason resides. It encourages more than a passive interest in the development of civil society and our roles as citizens in it.

The patriotism that is displayed is the result of that interest in the well-being of society itself. The fraternity does strongly encourage the adherence to and following of the principles and laws of the country in which the member resides.

More in the series:

What is Freemasonry? – Part 1: What is a Freemason?
What is Freemasonry? – Part 2: How Old is Freemasonry?
What is Freemasonry? – Part 3: Why are Freemason’s Secretive?

From the ebook: What is Freemasonry?

lCgQg7N007c

Continue reading...

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In this country I believe that it became patriotic due to the great influence that various Freemasons had on the American Revolution including the Freemasons among our Founding Fathers.

CLewey44

It's probably about as patriotic as it is religious. You aren't supposed to commit treason, nothing in Masonry will compromise your duties as an (insert country's name) we say the Pledge of Allegiance. There is a flag in the lodge room. As such, we pray, there is a VSL and we have to believe in a higher power. Short answer, yes...long answer, not really.

LK600

Premium Member
The fraternity does strongly encourage the adherence to and following of the principles and laws of the country in which the member resides.

I wonder if that would hold true in 1937 Germany?

The patriotism that is displayed is the result of that interest in the well-being of society itself.

So, wouldn't that potentially cause an issue depending on the government in power? (see the 1st quote above)

CLewey44

Like I said, yes and no. It doesn't want you to do anything against the best interest of your country, it promotes patriotism (at least here in the U.S.) with a flag and pledge to the flag at every meeting. You can go deep into this and ponder or look at it at face value.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It's probably about as patriotic as it is religious. You aren't supposed to commit treason, nothing in Masonry will compromise your duties as an (insert country's name) we say the Pledge of Allegiance. There is a flag in the lodge room. As such, we pray, there is a VSL and we have to believe in a higher power. Short answer, yes...long answer, not really.
Like I said, yes and no. It doesn't want you to do anything against the best interest of your country, it promotes patriotism (at least here in the U.S.) with a flag and pledge to the flag at every meeting. You can go deep into this and ponder or look at it at face value.
Agreed.

LK600

Premium Member
yep, though I think I was more looking to go into a philosophical debate lol. ;)