is it required to be initiated to learn the mysteries?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Marcius, Apr 26, 2011.

1. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Brother Calo, I don't think the level of, or lack thereof, of a certification has much to do with fueling a candidate's interest in meaning.

I agree with you that esoterica is often wasted on the non-initiated individual. Even though these folks are led to the northeast corner, they never seem to reap the rich rewards thereof. But those are not the brethren of which I speak. Far to many are left cold when they need it most. Some believe defense of the West Gate would better deal with the former.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. calo

calo Registered User

The emphasis isn't on the candidate's fuel. The emphasis was on the instructors (typically cert holders) who hold the meanings at little to no importance.
    Though, this may not be the case at your lodge.

3. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Well said! They are everywhere.

4. dhouseholder

dhouseholder Registered User

If a candidate is interested in the esoteric aspects of our order, he will find what he seeks. I don't think getting a "not-necessarily-interested-in-esoterica" type teacher will dissuade a candidate from his journey; and if that is all it took to dissuade him... then... he probably wasn't ready in the first place.

That being said (by you, a few posts back), I would encourage all of the instructors to add a little bit of esoterica when the candidate is interested. This not only serves as better way to remember the work, but, it tends to spur conversation during gatherings, non-stated meeting night discussions, etc. The more our fraternity cultivates this knowledge, the more relevant we will stay in today's society.

I'm not saying that our esoteric knowledge is our only benefit as a fraternity, but the more substance we can offer candidates, the more likely they are to become more involved.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed!

6. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Albert Mackay knows that statement as a "peculiar science of morality..."

And this tells us something of the nature of Masonic Science.

But the word "morality" is a veiling - relating to the application of the hidden mysteries of nature and science to the roles of true brethren in operating in the temple that extends from E to W, N to S and from the center of the Earth to the Heavens.

And "true brethren" brings me to the landmark that a Grand Master can make a Mason on sight. Surely this because the GM recognizes a true brother and thereby grants Masonic status.

Thus the term "true brethren" refers to humans that are true to the GAOTU. They may or may not be ritually initiated.

7. GKA

GKA Premium Member

This question comes up many times in many other areas of study besides Freemasonry and every example I have seen gives the same answer, you cannot learn the mysteries apart from the order that controls them.
    In the book, "The mystical qabbalah" by Diane Fortune, she addresses this very question
    The groups of esoteric knowledge maintain secrecy over their teachings in order to preserve their existence
    Much of what is learned is not gotten from books but rather from experience, you need to be part of that group to gain that experience.

8. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

I think you can be a mason without being initiated, but, you can't prove it, unless you have been initiated!!!

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. JamestheJust

In case it is still unclear:

- establish right relationships
    - establish right thinking
    - establish a clean lifestyle
    - meditate
    - spend time in nature
    - cultivate inner silence
    - avoid the showy and trivial

Jason A. Mitchell and GKA like this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Very good point brother!

11. GKA

GKA Premium Member

Good point indeed, :) however it brings up a point, is it really a great mystery to live a clean life?
    Many men who do so have still contemplated our mysteries
    There must be something more

12. JamestheJust

I suggested 6 other requirements. Being harmless, with a quiet meditative mind and immersed in nature may result in new understandings.

13. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

Judging by the number of people who live truly clean lives, it is either a great mystery or not many care to try!

Warrior1256, Bill Lins and JJones like this.
  14. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

1. Initiation as a ceremony has value only in the mind of the individual going through it. It can be likened to a public commitment to a path, but it is not necessarily that. Initiation as a new behavior that indicates an individual is now engaged in something that is to transform him is wholly different then going through a ceremony.
    2. Learning is only Effective when Behavior has Changed that is Supportive of the Lessons Presented. When behavior has not changed in line with the lessons, other than repeating back what one has been told to repeat back, learning has not occurred.
    3. The biggest problem with the word, "mystery" is that it initially meant "occupation", "trade" and "profession". It did not, in this instance, mean "things that are only revealed to those initiated" or "hidden things". Although, the word can be used in this manner, to use it to indicate the latter in this case is altogether misleading.
    4. Once you get past all the twists and turns, you may come to realize that "one must Engage in the Work to become Transformed". This engagement can occur with or without the support of others, as has been proven so many times throughout recorded history by those who have brought forth things and ideas in our cultures that were not evident to the masses before.
    Coming back to the original question, the answer is "No". But you'll be hard-pressed to hear this from the hoards a) who are convinced otherwise, or b) who have a vested interest in having you believe otherwise.

That being said, there are plenty of initiatic societies that offer experiences that they claim to be transformative. I refer you to item 2 on the list as your rule and guide to measure the success of your engagements in these matters.

GKA and Classical like this.

Share My Freemasonry