Just a few concerns... or curiosities

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Derek Barclay, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Derek Barclay

Derek Barclay Registered User

I hope so man.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Sure, on the surface, it appears harmless, but I've experienced far too many of these types of gentle "let's throw a lot of other hot-button things into the mix" inquisitions to not recognize the subtle manipulations, the hidden agendas at play and the end game. You're playing a game and it is not a nice one.
    It is not the point. The point is entry requirements; it is not and never will be: 1) the goodness of non-believers, 2) inability of non-believers to be bettered, 3) compartmentalizing life. Bringing these into the "discussion" only clouds the issue. And you appear to be very good at clouding the issue to stir the pot of un-necessary discussion.

Bill Lins and Zack like this.
  3. Derek Barclay

I'm just talking about the nature of belief and the nature of nature. If there's a game being played I'm unaware. Can you not choose to disengage? I wish my text didn't sound dismissive or defensive because that's not my intent. Are you implying that I'm trying to draw something out of you? I am. Ideas.

4. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Starts why I wrote that any lodge that *starts* with the SR is automatically clandestine in the US. In the US all jurisdictions trace their lineage to a point before French lodges designed the Scottish Rite. In the US the Scottish Rite is always in addition to, optional to and after the first three degrees.

In the US any jurisdiction that has the word Scottish in its name and conducts the first three degrees is clandestine. The three SR organizations in the US are not grand lodges. They are appendent bodies.

SR ritual books do have the first three degrees. Any US jurisdiction that uses these rituals or rituals derived from them are automatically clandestine.

In the US it depends on the local jurisdiction it presenting one of those first three degrees as an exhibition on a man who is already a Master Mason is allowed. Some states allow such exhibitions for educational purposes. Some states do not.

Then you are not qualified to be adopted into our family.

I'm with brother Coach N on this. By tossing such questions into the mix you have demonstrated that your motivations are those of an anti. You have been told in several ways why we require candidates to have faith but you have discarded those answers. Now you move directly on to other questions used by antis. Pass. I'll see if the ignore function is still available as soon as I have posted this message.

5. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Careful, you're justifying yourself and it's not accurate in appearance.
    Oh please, give it a break.
    That's not the point though, is it?
    It's far more than these and it's obvious to anyone who has been around these forums. And your intent appears to be questionable.
    No. I am not. I am stating from your meandering methods, you appear to not be what you profess and your stated goals appear to be out of unity with the manner to which you are engaging.

Warrior1256, Bill Lins and chrmc like this.
  6. Derek Barclay

I think that's just what the building is called - Scottish Rite Cathedral of Dallas. They have many lodges that meet there, and I think all of them are recognized by the GLoT.

I don't think yall are doing anything sinister. I really am just naive.

I'll leave it alone.

7. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Of course.
    [Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren]
    We are all same, on The Earth.
    The God's Law is One for everyone.
    Spiritual Development is -- same for all human beings.

8. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Not to mince words or derail the conversation, but there are a couple of lodges in Louisiana that confer the first 3 degrees, but uses SR ritual fully sanctioned and regular under the GL. Etoile Polaire No1 in New Orleans is probably the most well known.

9. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

A well-satisfied inquirer!

10. Derek Barclay

Huh? :confused:

... Perhaps I can't ... :D

11. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

I believe that all human beings a number of human components such as a body, intellect, emotions, etc. That we share the common experience of living on the same planet and that we are all moving forward together through time. Is that close enough to meet your definition of "fundamentally identical"?

12. Derek Barclay

"One man practicing kindness in the wilderness..."

Brothers, something is happening. There's...something on the wing...some......thing!

Classical likes this.
  13. JamestheJust

Brother, you put us to shame.

I do not know whether Grand Lodge Freemasonry can make the leap.

14. Derek Barclay

Why do you say that? With my previous post, I was implying that a shift in my thinking is occurring. These discussions are doing something to change my outlook on things, apparently for the better.

Edit: I think I may be misinterpreting your meaning.

Another edit: Haha, nevermind. I shouldn't rush to think the worst. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  15. JamestheJust

There is indeed something on the wing and it can be seen in many aspects of human society, particularly politics.

How will the widespread rejection of incumbent parties affect Freemasonry?

16. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

I don't see the connection.

17. Derek Barclay

I'm surprised we haven't moved away from the two-party system yet, but it is happening. The leading Democrat is actually an independent and the leading Republican isn't even a politician. You heard me. :)

18. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I suspect much in the same manner as the raspberry crumble I had for my dessert last night.

MarkR likes this.
  19. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Why it's happenin'?
    Could you, please, explain?

20. Derek Barclay

Because the public is becoming more informed.

Share My Freemasonry