My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JW Reading the Law

How often does the JW read from the Book of Law?

• Every Meeting

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Every now and again

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • He is supposed to read from the law book?

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Our JW can read?!

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
We read a law every stated meeting last year. I admit it got old and only a few of us paid attention. This year the WM is having me go through the MM's Obligation. Yes, one month we will be doing two points and the rest will be one. Basically, I will say the part then break it down and explain it. The Brothers are more receptive to that then hearing what they consider a boring law every month. I also agree with and like what another Brother said in an earlier post about discussing the laws in a scenario based forum on study nights or floor work night with Brothers who are interested in learning about them.

Good Topic

Kyle

owls84

Premium Member
We read a law every stated meeting last year. I admit it got old and only a few of us paid attention. This year the WM is having me go through the MM's Obligation. Yes, one month we will be doing two points and the rest will be one. Basically, I will say the part then break it down and explain it. The Brothers are more receptive to that then hearing what they consider a boring law every month. I also agree with and like what another Brother said in an earlier post about discussing the laws in a scenario based forum on study nights or floor work night with Brothers who are interested in learning about them.

Good Topic

Kyle

What if it was presented diffrently to make it to where Brethren didn't doze off? What if the JW did scenarios and had some of the members discuss how to properly handle the situation then give them how it should be handled as per the Law. That would give people an engagement activity and an intrest of what is being taught. If you have a well informed Brother ask him not to respond so the others could all get a chance.

dhouseholder

How often does your JW read a passage from the Masonic Law book?

As JW at my lodge, I try not to read from the Masonic Law book. I actually read the lodge an article or a brief essay. A few that I have read this year deal with....

1) What is the significance of the letters A.F.A.M. in front of our name?
2) The symbolism of the Warden's columns.
3) A brief list of anecdotal tales of old customs and traditions of our lodge specifically.
4) The symbolism of the Wardens and why their jobs are what they are.

Most brethren thank me for not reading the (dry) Law Book and coming up with something original.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
As JW at my lodge, I try not to read from the Masonic Law book. I actually read the lodge an article or a brief essay. A few that I have read this year deal with....

1) What is the significance of the letters A.F.A.M. in front of our name?
2) The symbolism of the Warden's columns.
3) A brief list of anecdotal tales of old customs and traditions of our lodge specifically.
4) The symbolism of the Wardens and why their jobs are what they are.

Most brethren thank me for not reading the (dry) Law Book and coming up with something original.

That's awesome

Sent from my XT1060 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Fun jurisdictional variations. In California I was required to read the California Masonic Code to qualify as JW and there was a test, but there is no mention that any officer read from the book in opened lodge. In Illinois there's a line in the WM installation that tells hims to read from the Illinois Masonic Code at each meeting. Only one WM I have seen ever did so. Here in Texas I have yet to see paragraphs from the Texas Masonic Law quoted anywhere but on this forum.