My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights of Columbus and Freemasonry

CLewey44

Where I was Raised is a very Catholic town; 400-year old Spanish capital, Basilica Cathedral, 250-year old Guadalupe chapel, etc. The lodges would be hard-pressed to survive without Catholic members.
Yet most them tell stories of the nuns from their school making the children cross the street to avoid walking in front of the Scottish Rite Temple. The nuns told tales of children being eaten and their blood used to tint the stucco. Seriously, I can’t make this up!

Are you serious?!?!?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Are you serious?!?!?

Sadly, yes. It’s a huge, pink, Moorish castle, styled after the Alhambra. It’s an elegant venue for dinners, plays, movies, weddings, symphonies, yet there are educated adults who will not set foot inside because of what they were taught. Abuelas still use it to frighten their grandchildren.

flameburns623

Certain European expressions of quasi-Freemasonry are secularist to the point of being overtly anti-Catholic. (These versions of Masonry are also militantly anti-monarchist, and sometimes heavily politicized).

This antagonism to religion seems to be the root of the hostility between Freemasonry and Roman Catholicism. I don't know if these European Masonic orders are clandestine or not.

However it does seem odd that otherwise intelligent hierarchs in the RCC cannot make nuanced distinctions between British-based Freemasonry, which is NOT anti-Catholic, and those other types of Masonry which are.

Elexir

Certain European expressions of quasi-Freemasonry are secularist to the point of being overtly anti-Catholic. (These versions of Masonry are also militantly anti-monarchist, and sometimes heavily politicized).

This antagonism to religion seems to be the root of the hostility between Freemasonry and Roman Catholicism. I don't know if these European Masonic orders are clandestine or not.

However it does seem odd that otherwise intelligent hierarchs in the RCC cannot make nuanced distinctions between British-based Freemasonry, which is NOT anti-Catholic, and those other types of Masonry which are.

Actully the religious indifference is one of the reasons the RCC has a problem with british-based freemasonry.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Baptised and confirmed Roman Catholic, very active in church and at one time considered the Priesthood. I've written about that before. I am York Rite Mason and a Knights Templar. One of my uncles was a "Faithful Navigator" of a KOC assembly in Brooklyn NY.
The RCC is very much against Freemasonry and sees it as a form of heresy. I do not see that changing in my lifetime. I know many Catholic Masons. I know Catholic Masons that attend RCC and their membership is tolerated locally, as long as they don't participate in any of the sacraments.
Diocese have been warned not to allow Freemasons in their congregations and the Church's view is that the Catholic Church and Freemasonry can never be reconciled. I don't know how a man could be a member of the KOC and be a Freemason. (rant off) Sorry kinda worked up, the Patriots won today, I hate the Pats.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Yet most them tell stories of the nuns from their school making the children cross the street to avoid walking in front of the Scottish Rite Temple. The nuns told tales of children being eaten and their blood used to tint the stucco. Seriously, I can’t make this up!
Wow! Love those conspiracy theories!

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Baptised and confirmed Roman Catholic, very active in church and at one time considered the Priesthood. I've written about that before. I am York Rite Mason and a Knights Templar. One of my uncles was a "Faithful Navigator" of a KOC assembly in Brooklyn NY.
The RCC is very much against Freemasonry and sees it as a form of heresy. I do not see that changing in my lifetime. I know many Catholic Masons. I know Catholic Masons that attend RCC and their membership is tolerated locally, as long as they don't participate in any of the sacraments.
Diocese have been warned not to allow Freemasons in their congregations and the Church's view is that the Catholic Church and Freemasonry can never be reconciled. I don't know how a man could be a member of the KOC and be a Freemason. (rant off) Sorry kinda worked up, the Patriots won today, I hate the Pats.
A Senior Warden in one of the lodges I belong to quit Masonry recently because his priest told him that he and his fiance could not be married in the Church as long as he was a Freemason.

Schuetz

Although several here have said there is NO official link with the Boy Scouts of America, it must be said that their honor society, the Order of the Arrow, comes very close. Their traditions and rituals were borrowed from Freemasonry by its founders. I recently visited a Lodge in Southern Illinois where they had dispensation to allow the local Order to perform a practice of the Ordeal (a ceremony that plays out similar to our Degrees) in the middle of their stated meeting.

Q. E. L. Schuetz, M.M.
Shekinah Lodge No. 241 • IL
Murphysboro Lodge No. 498 • IL

AyrStrat

Texan-Brazilian Freemason
Site Benefactor
Premium Member
Although several here have said there is NO official link with the Boy Scouts of America, it must be said that their honor society, the Order of the Arrow, comes very close. Their traditions and rituals were borrowed from Freemasonry by its founders. I recently visited a Lodge in Southern Illinois where they had dispensation to allow the local Order to perform a practice of the Ordeal (a ceremony that plays out similar to our Degrees) in the middle of their stated meeting.

Q. E. L. Schuetz, M.M.
Shekinah Lodge No. 241 • IL
Murphysboro Lodge No. 498 • IL

Is it correct to say that there is a link between Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church then?

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Is it correct to say that there is a link between Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church then?
No link at all.

However, I should point out that you're in the wrong place to ask these things. I ALWAYS find that when asking questions about certain people or organisations that the responses are more likely to be accurate when asking them direct rather than unconnected third parties.responses