My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning Resources for an EA

JAnderson

Hi all, I was initiated into the St. Wilfrid No. 4453 (UK) lodge back in February, and I am tentatively scheduled for my passing ceremony next February. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for online education resources related to the masonic journey I am undertaking. Ideally I am looking for useful websites, as I often have time to browse during work, but not necessarily books or videos.

Winter

Premium Member
I'm a big fan of Pietre-Stones Review of Freemasonry. It should go without saying though, to be careful looking for online resources to make sure you are not spoiling future degrees.

Bloke

Premium Member
Greetings Brother Anderson

I would echo Bro Winter - don't go wreaking anything in your future Degrees... There are some good sources suggested above (but remember, you are often not reading "fact" but opinion and/or common interpretations), but if you are a beginner and interested in History, then Wikipedia is not a bad place to poke around.

I lot of Freemasonry is in the ritual. I would highly recommend you work out what the first degree working tools mean to you. You might look for articles on that. I highly recommend that you read the First Degree Tracing Board Lecture. Ask someone in your lodge for a copy. It was probably not presented during your Initiation (might have been though, we normally do it in a separate meeting). Another good thing to know is the history of your lodge. It looks like it turned 100 years old on 18 Oct this year.. that only a few weeks ago, did anyone celebrate it ? https://www.dhi.ac.uk/lane/record.php?ID=7267

Lane's Masonic Record is so handy for UGLE Lodges.. Not aware of anything similar for Scotland or Ireland - can anyone help ?

JAnderson

Greetings Brother Anderson

I would echo Bro Winter - don't go wreaking anything in your future Degrees... There are some good sources suggested above (but remember, you are often not reading "fact" but opinion and/or common interpretations), but if you are a beginner and interested in History, then Wikipedia is not a bad place to poke around.

I lot of Freemasonry is in the ritual. I would highly recommend you work out what the first degree working tools mean to you. You might look for articles on that. I highly recommend that you read the First Degree Tracing Board Lecture. Ask someone in your lodge for a copy. It was probably not presented during your Initiation (might have been though, we normally do it in a separate meeting). Another good thing to know is the history of your lodge. It looks like it turned 100 years old on 18 Oct this year.. that only a few weeks ago, did anyone celebrate it ? https://www.dhi.ac.uk/lane/record.php?ID=7267

Lane's Masonic Record is so handy for UGLE Lodges.. Not aware of anything similar for Scotland or Ireland - can anyone help ?
You are correct, I did not get the full tracing board lecture at my initiation. I was fortunate enough to visit a nearby lodge the next month, however, which was having an "initiate's presentation" and they did a lecture on the tracing board there.

Our lodge did indeed turn 100 a few weeks back. We are having a big centenary special lodge meeting at the end of this month, which I am quite excited to attend. There will be presentations on lodge history, a reading of the lodge warrant, and anniversary gifts I believe.

Bloke

Premium Member
You are correct, I did not get the full tracing board lecture at my initiation. I was fortunate enough to visit a nearby lodge the next month, however, which was having an "initiate's presentation" and they did a lecture on the tracing board there.

Our lodge did indeed turn 100 a few weeks back. We are having a big centenary special lodge meeting at the end of this month, which I am quite excited to attend. There will be presentations on lodge history, a reading of the lodge warrant, and anniversary gifts I believe.
Sounds like your timing for joining was perfect ! :)
We've had a lot of Post WW1 lodges turning 100 recently, one of them put on an amazing 3 day spectacular ! I only went to the Installation and Dinner, but it was a very memorable night. No idea how many were there for dinner (with partners and friends), maybe about 180 ish.. but they did not mess around.. I think it was $130 AUD to attend.. but well worth it..

I don't think the First Degree Tracing Board should be done at Initiations, it is information overload.. but it certainly should be presented or at least discussed..

Happy Birthday to your Lodge and to you for your Masonic Birth !

Brother John

Hi all, I was initiated into the St. Wilfrid No. 4453 (UK) lodge back in February, and I am tentatively scheduled for my passing ceremony next February. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for online education resources related to the masonic journey I am undertaking. Ideally I am looking for useful websites, as I often have time to browse during work, but not necessarily books or videos.
Congratulations and welcome to the craft!
It sounds like you're awakening a real hunger to learn and know more. That's a wonderful trait and a flame to be stoked! A few brothers have already cautioned you, and for good reason, but I won't belabor the issue by trying to add to their good points.
I was recently in a situation like yourself, where you can spend some time reading things online, but cannot lug around books.
1st: Have you considered doing E-books, like Kindle? I use that quite a bit and it's great! Besides the fact that the books tend to be less expensive, you can also have many good books right in your cell phone.
2nd: Much like the previous idea, there are also audiobooks that you could take in, provided that you're free to listen while working. There are also many good (and many more Not so good) podcasts that are very informative.

Just thought I'd share these two ideas.
...now just which kindle books or auidobooks, THERE's the good question!