My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's argue this out once and for all...

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
* gets pitchforks and torches*

So, are you saying it will bring knowledges ?

Only if the lights are lit with compasses. The knowledges then come with.

I don't know what were doing here but if we keep it up I think an appendant body is going to pop up.

This is part of why I love Masonry. We can be very serious but at the same time poke fun of ourselves.

Bloke

Premium Member
Only if the lights are lit with compasses. The knowledges then come with.....

And through humour a great truth is said.

In geometry, its only with the compasses we can create a true square of 90° on which the 47th proposition rests . I think the purpose of the square with the compasses as our main logo is to provide a straight line, which can be drawn between linking circles and eclipses to create a 90° angle and hence set (test) our square against. The smooth ashlar might be what we test our square on, but its only with the compass we can create the infallible tool to test an ashlar.

There's other ways of doing it, but see

Or in relation to the 47th proposition

All the workings can be tested with the compasses by phyically measuring angles and in our ceremonial, the compasses are linked to the GAOTU's law.. thats why the vsl, square and compasses are our great lights.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Pythagoras told us that numbers are alive - and mostly he has been ignored.
And for good reason too. He also told everyone to avoid beans. Perhaps it was because he thought passing gas depleted the soul. Which by default would mean that beans could potentially make numbers soulless if they ate enough of them.
He did not tell us about geometric forms being alive. Perhaps we did not merit such information.
Or perhaps the information is irrelevant and not worthy of merit, much less any consideration.
However the proposition is easily testable in the lodge by turning around the square and compasses so that the compasses are to the West (or East) and feeling whether they are happy.
Why don't we just ask them how they feel? It's not like they don't have a voice in all this. :rolleyes:

Canadian Paul

I've just realised we have another serious problem - the 'square' in 'square and compasses' (or, if you insist, 'square and compass'), isn't a square at all! It's only two sides of a square!

Somehow, 'half-a-square and compasses' just doesn't sound right! Evan 'half-a-square and compass' sounds wrong!

Whatever shall we do?

(Sticks tongue squarely in cheek)

Bloke

Premium Member
I've just realised we have another serious problem - the 'square' in 'square and compasses' (or, if you insist, 'square and compass'), isn't a square at all! It's only two sides of a square!

Somehow, 'half-a-square and compasses' just doesn't sound right! Evan 'half-a-square and compass' sounds wrong!

Whatever shall we do?

We split from these evil abominations and form our one true Grand Lodge !

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor

Whatever shall we do?

Oh snap!

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app