Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Sports and Outdoors' started by Roach, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Roach

Roach Registered User

Just wondering what arts do any of you study? I study Wado Ryu Karate at Clear Lake Martial Arts. I just earned my brown belt few weeks back and looking forward to the next stage of learning heading to black belt.

daviddenboer likes this.
  2. widows son

widows son Premium Member

I used to study Maui Thai, but time and circumstance put a stop to it.

3. BEDickey

BEDickey Premium Member

I used to study Kenpo when I was younger, now I study Click-Pow.

4. David Hill

David Hill Registered User

Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu. I've also studied several other styles, but mantis is the only style I have a black belt in.

5. Michael Hatley

Michael Hatley Premium Member

Also studied Kenpo as a young fella, up to green belt.

I've been eyeing Krav Maga lately. Very tempting.

6. FanningPA447

FanningPA447 Registered User

I have been practicing karate for 6 years and I am a brown belt

Freemason Connect Mobile

7. Aeelorty

Aeelorty Registered User

I used to wrestle and do a little boxing after practice with friends. We did some mma things to, but no formal training. I have been wanting to study wing chun for a while or krav maga

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Registered User

I am looking at krav maga myself. There is an adult class locally to me, but time will be a factor for me. It takes place on lodge night so I may just have to pass.

9. BryanMaloney

BryanMaloney Premium Member

I have studied jujutsu ("police style"--that's how the teacher referred to it. He was a retired police officer who had also studied formal jujutsu. It was traditional jujutsu with emphasis on what he found worked best in a modern setting), kempo (also "police style" from the same instructor--taught at the same time. His attitude was "don't ride half a bicycle"). That was many years ago. I have also studied Yang style tai chi, classical fencing, and historical swordsmanship (late 16th century). This was all years ago. Now, there's no time for it, and the Mrs. despises martial arts of all kinds due to bad experiences with her ex-husbands.

10. Jericho

Jericho Registered User

I have studied various styles since I was about 12 when I started Tae Kwan Do and then Tang Soo Tao. After moving around with my family, I drifted away until 2 close friends were assaulted when I was 17. This prompted me to take up Muay Thai in which I gained an Instructor's ranking through the WKA. The next few years were spent working my way to a 1st Dan black belt in Zen Do Kai. Following this, I tested my skills as an amateur kickboxer, earning a State Title shot. During all this I also had the opportunity to dabble in Arnis & grappling. I took a few years off when I started my family and returned to the mats in January 2011 as a fresh white belt in BJJ and earned my blue in October 2012. My son & daughter both wear yellow belts and we now have between us a nice collection of medals from both State & National tournaments.

Freemason Connect Mobile

11. bustr

bustr Registered User

BB in Karate under Wayne Guidry
    5 years in Lameco Eskrima under John Daigle
    Been training in Xing Yi since Sept 09 with Randy Fuller.
    Some Ninpo, AikiJujutsu and BJJ

Myself and some other Eskrima practitioners have a group that meets a couple of times a month to train and spar. We usually train at the yacht club in Port Arthur. There is no charge for training and anyone who is interested is welcome.

12. Bro.doyleUK

Bro.doyleUK Registered User

I used to study the art of JKD or Jeet Kune Do.
    It's a brilliant martial art and was created Bruce Lee.
    I only trained for around 12 months but fully enjoyed the beauty and simplicity if JKD.
    Look it up guys.

Freemason Connect Mobile

13. barofdeath

barofdeath Registered User

I wrestled in hugh school, and am thinking about starting bjj. I'm 36. Is that too old to start?

Freemason Connect Mobile

14. solomon1979

solomon1979 Registered User

I took Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu (chinese boxing) for 15+ years. I still practice both but only as time permits.

Freemason Connect Mobile

15. BryanMaloney

BryanMaloney Premium Member

My Aiki/Kempo soke told us something something to the order of everyone who studies martial arts seriously enough ends up inventing a Jeet Kune Do. I think his point was that eventually, you have to make it all your own and use a tradition as a foundation, not a capstone.

16. bezobrazan

bezobrazan Registered User

I used to study boxing, kickboxing, aikido and a few other things. Now I'm just an old man with bad knees and out of shape - ha ha! I'll get back into...one day. Right now my two daughters are learning MMA. They love it and I feel better about them learning to protect themselves.

Freemason Connect Mobile

17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Shotokan Karate, Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu and Kodokan Judo.

18. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

Just joined STW Krav Maga in San Antonio on Crossroads. Great program so far.

19. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I think that Hapkido and Japanese forms of Jujitsu are superior to Karate for all around self defense. I am sure that many, many people will disagree with me on this. Just my personal opinion.

20. blacksmith83

blacksmith83 Registered User

Wrestling, karate, bjj, muay thai, boxing, tai chi, mma...to say the least ive been busy since a teen but never stuck with formal training to go through belts, just trained with people proficient in those arts and took from it what works best for me....I always laugh abit on the inside when i tell people im a white belt lol

Share My Freemasonry