Masonic symbols use in brand

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Peterhuppel, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Peterhuppel

Peterhuppel Registered User

I'm starting a clothing brand.
    I've always been interested in freemasonry (not a mason myself) and want to use the some masonic symbolism in the logo.
    I don't want to offend any one or something. So wanted to ask do you guys think it's ok, or is it not appreciated.

2. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

That's a loaded question. There are companies that manufacturers clothing for masonic purposes. And other items. So, if it kept affordable and don't think your gonna get rich quick. I would say it's alright.

Bloke likes this.
  3. David612

David612 Registered User

Nope.

Bloke likes this.
  4. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Unless you intend to sell to Masons only, it definitely would NOT be "ok".

Adrian Martinez, Bloke and Glen Cook like this.
  5. Peterhuppel

Thanks for the reply guys.
    I respect ya'll, thats the whole reason I'm asking :).
    Maybe I can elaborate a bit further and get your opinions.

The logo will have a 33 and a compass.

Thatsbasically the references. If its still not appreciated, I understand, but just wanted to know :).
    Thanks

6. Winter

Winter Premium Member

So you wan't to monetize the symbols of our fraternity with zero respect to what they actually mean? You may want to revise your business model. Even though there are laws on the books in most states that make this illegal, they are no longer enforced. That being said, it would not be appreciated by a significant amount of us.

7. Peterhuppel

Thanks for the reply.

No it's definitely not about profit or anything. I just wanted to make a nice clothing brand, that looked nice.
    But I will probably change it then.
    All tough it was not like I was going to use a full masonic symbol or anything.

Only the number "33" and a "compass" and the word Degree.

I don't think a compass and a number on it's own is inappropriate, but I don't know, so thats why I'm asking. And I appreciate the responses.

If you guys think its not appropriate. I wont do it. Thanks again

8. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

It probably would not be appreciated since some of the Masonic symbols are so specific to the fraternity.

However, you could look into a more Hermetic/Kabbalistic route and keep it pretty subtle. Even a more illuminati look but all that's probably been done before.

Glen Cook likes this.
  9. Bill Lins

My question would be that if you don't think it represents Masonry, then what DO you think it represents and why do you wish to use it?

10. Peterhuppel

Yeah I guess you're right. I wanted to make a logo with a light reference to Masonry. I think it makes the logo a little mysterious. But I understand that it's not appreciated and will see how I can change it :) . I see these references in some other brands too, for instance "Volcom" it may be not so obvious. You in no way have to answer, but I'm curious what you think of a logo like the Volcom one.

11. Winter

Winter Premium Member

You.dont need our approval. It really isn't worth our time to go after manufacturers who use Masonic symbolism in their clothing. And no person on this forum can give you offical approval either. Only our opinion on the subject.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

12. David612

David612 Registered User

Not sure what you are getting at with the volcom reference?

Chaz likes this.
  13. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

If you by a shirt or hat or jacket etc with the square and compass on it, your guilty of buying a product from a company that has no masonic ties. So what's the difference ? Someone or company is cashing in and I haven't seen a dime. But pay through the nose for something I like...........

14. Winter

Winter Premium Member

True. Especially in these days of internet stores you never know who you are purchasing from.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

15. Peterhuppel

Thanks for the reply.
    I didn't want to put the square and compass on it. Only the compass (in another angle then on the symbol of your fraternity). But as a whole it was meant as a reference to Masons, but I by no means wanted to fully copy your symbols.

Would you consider a brand name like "degree 33" to be inappropriate on it's own, or is it more the use of the compass.

I know you guys speak of your own accord and can't speak for Freemasons as a whole, but I appreciate your opinions.

16. Bill Lins

Personally, I see no symbolism in their logo which I would regard as even faintly Masonic.

jermy Bell, CLewey44 and Chaz like this.
  17. Bill Lins

The only Masonic items I purchase I buy from our Grand Lodge- that way at least part of the money goes to support our Fraternity. YMMV.

jermy Bell likes this.
  18. Bill Lins

I personally would- it has a specific meaning in our Fraternity & should not be used commercially, IMHO.

Peterhuppel likes this.
  19. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Seriously reaching to get masonic symbolism from the Volcom logo!

Chaz likes this.
  20. Peterhuppel

I'm a bit disappointed, because I really liked the logo.
    Going from all of your opinions, I will change it, because the purpose it not to offend anyone, or disrespect anyone.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019

Share My Freemasonry