My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonry For Women--HOT TOPIC!

Would you suggest to a female that is interested in Masonry to join Co-Masonry or Continental Lodge?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I think my opinion on this is fairly well known but I'll bite...
If a woman I know sincerely wanted to pursue a Masonic education I would send her here http://www.co-masonry.org and gladly answer basic questions and help guide her. I would do the same if it were a woman I was intimate with. It could only add a new level of possible conversation and study to our lives.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Yes to the basic question.

I would argue that our secrets are revealed to most brothers in our (all male) lodges. Of course that depends on what you consider a secret.

chrmc

I feel that mixing this up with Co-Masonry is two very different points though. One is a debate about whether the gender of a person should disqualify them from Freemasonry, or how we should possibly make allowances for that.

The issue with GODF is mainly that they have removed the requirement for a belief in Deity from their rituals and requirements. To me that is something much different than a gender debate that is largely based on historical traditions.

CLewey44

Female membership[edit]
When the Grand Orient took shape in 1773, it inherited several Lodges of Adoption attached to its own lodges. These were open to masons and admitted their female relatives in their own set of rituals. They received an implied seal of approval when the Duc de Chartres, then Grand Master of France, became "Grand Master" of a new lodge of adoption in Paris, with the Duchess of Bourbon as "Grand Mistress". Briefly eclipsed by the revolution, they again became fashionable under Napoleon, before being declared unconstitutional in 1808.[42] They were revived in 1901 as a women's society, before a final separation in 1935. The resulting organisation is now the Grande Loge féminine de France.[43]

For many years, the Grand Orient would not allow its lodges to initiate women, but did recognize and receive women who were made Freemasons in other jurisdictions. This changed in 2010, and after some setbacks, the Grand Orient currently allows the initiation of women.[44]

Not an expert on this, but they do allow women so it's very much like co-masonry. Whether they require a belief in a deity or not is beside the point of this particular forum.

chrmc

Female membership[edit]
Not an expert on this, but they do allow women so it's very much like co-masonry. Whether they require a belief in a deity or not is beside the point of this particular forum.

Thanks to both the posters above. Must admit that I was not aware of that.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I've read several posts where mainstream masons in Georgia would love to go their PHA counterpart 's fundraising events, but feel they would be cast aside for fraternizing with PHA Masons even though it is not a "masonic" setting.

I kind of have that sentiment here...I'd support a woman's-only lodge, but I don't know if I would be able to take that step publicly...yet.

Their Lodge would have zero effect on my life and masonic career. Regardless of their existence, I still wake up every morning, commute back and forth to work (shouldn't it be forth and back? Oh well) and look forward to meetings, degrees and rehearsals.

I am all over the place with my reply because I can't convey my exact feelings.

Last edited:

Roy_

About the Grand Orient de France. In short (and on top off my head). In the early days of FM when lodges of adoption, the GODF recognised them. This became a problem later on and the lodges of adoption were taken out of the organisation and the Grand Lodge Feminine de France was formed so that the GODF would not loose regularity.

This happened later on of course when they dropped the requirement to belief in 'something higher'.

Last, but finally within the scope of this thread, the GODF allowed their lodges to initiate women in 2010, but each lodge decides for itself if they do. In their own communication about 2013/4 the GODF writes (Google translation):
1,319 women distributed
In 350 lodges. 757 were initiated at the GODF
And 562 joined him, from another Obedience.​

As for other points mentioned in this thread. In the Netherlands there is usually an independent organisation taking care of the building which can be rented by both "regular" and other lodges. The management of that organisation may well contain both men and women. Also on open door days, both lodges may together receive guests (there is one building that houses the whole spectrum, "regular", mixed gender of two organisation, a women's lodge and a weavers lodge and their open door day they do together).
In the early days, "regular" Masons often helped out founding mixed gender lodges and they were member of both. This is no longer allowed, so when they help, it's usually on the background.

CLewey44

Have done a lot of soul searching and thinking and, at this point at least, I would have to answer "no".

I can buy that for sure, brother. As it stands, it is in a way 'passively' revealing what we aren't supposed to reveal to people 'not worthy' of such knowledge. Would I be open down the road to allowing female only lodges, probably so, but for now it's against our obligations in a way.

CLewey44

I say it is similar to this scenario, although clearly not as vital. If I have the nuclear passwords and instructions and someone asks me "Hey, give me those nuclear passwords and instructions." If I'm sworn not to give them away and I say "I can't give them to you, but I know where you can get them", that could be a problem.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I say it is similar to this scenario, although clearly not as vital. If I have the nuclear passwords and instructions and someone asks me "Hey, give me those nuclear passwords and instructions." If I'm sworn not to give them away and I say "I can't give them to you, but I know where you can get them", that could be a problem.
Agreed!!!

rpbrown

Premium Member
Just think of them going through the degrees. Some may be okay but some I wouldn't want to see. ;)

rpbrown

Premium Member

Just think of them going through the degrees. Some may be okay but some I wouldn't want to see. ;)
Makes me wonder how many of "them" would have the same sentiments about seeing you. :D

You have a point :)