My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masons in China

nightjmper

I have just accepted a Job that will keep me in China 1/2 of the year. Does anyone know if a lodge exists within China. I have looked on the net and have not found a reliable resource.

With all of the Ex-Pats and Americans now living in China I can't believe one does not exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

HKTidwell

Premium Member
China is a Communist country and typically communism and Freemasonry does not go hand in hand. So I would be surprised if there are any lodges that are openly meeting in China. Taiwan, while still claimed by China, has its own government and is not communist in any shape of form from my understanding.

nightjmper

China is a Communist country and typically communism and Freemasonry does not go hand in hand. So I would be surprised if there are any lodges that are openly meeting in China. Taiwan, while still claimed by China, has its own government and is not communist in any shape of form from my understanding.

My Brother, while China is still indeed a communist country, the Chinese government is pushing very aggressively to adapt to western business practices. Part of this change means allowing the cultural practices in as well. Large portions of the country, mostly major cities, now have various religions with buildings. Although these things are being monitored and held to moderation, it is growing.

I have been a regular visitor to China for going on 20 years. It is amazing the differences that have occurred. I just was at the grand opening of a Starbucks in the middle of the Sichuan Provence. Walked in, ordered a latte, logged into the new to watch Fox News, and sat next to a 50yr old brick layer wearing a coolie straw hat (they gave away free drinks, he could never afford them otherwise). This would never have happened just 6 years ago. I don’t think we would have an issue getting a lodge started on the mainland under the current climate. The question is if the climate will change in the future…

The Chinese have a saying that I have come to live by here..
“The only thing sure under the heavens, is that all things will eventually become dustâ€

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I knew that China has been very progressive in recent years. I did not know to what extent they had progressed the religious aspect surprises me but is a good thing. Thank you for clarifying my comments.

nightjmper

Don't Get me wrong. The communist party is very much in control. As an example today the following websites seem to be blocked.
Twitter.com
Facebook.com
CNN.com
Skype.com

Flexing of Muscle I am guessing

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
i know that some china lodges are under the ruling of Massachusetts GL which now meet in Japan and I think there may be one in Hong Kong. You can contact the GL of Massachusetts to find out which ones may still be active. I know quite a few went dark over the years.

owls84

Premium Member
I have a suggestion and it is actually the proper protocol (just ask wingnut) contact the Grand Secretary of Texas and his office can tell you the closest lodge and put you in contact with someone from there. Let them know when you need it by and it will get done. gs@grandlodgeoftexas.org The GLofTX requests that all out of jusrisdiction communication be sent through them. I have seen instances where someone contacted another jurisdiction and the jurisdiction notify GLoTX requesting that the Brother be taught proper protocol. Basically some jurisdictions will not answer just anyone.

nightjmper

I have a suggestion and it is actually the proper protocol (just ask wingnut) contact the Grand Secretary of Texas and his office can tell you the closest lodge and put you in contact with someone from there. Let them know when you need it by and it will get done. gs@grandlodgeoftexas.org The GLofTX requests that all out of jusrisdiction communication be sent through them. I have seen instances where someone contacted another jurisdiction and the jurisdiction notify GLoTX requesting that the Brother be taught proper protocol. Basically some jurisdictions will not answer just anyone.

I apologize if I have breached some sort of protocol, which was not my intension. The initial question was more of an information question. I wanted to see to what degree (if any) Masons were currently functioning within China. Although my eventual intent would have been to see the facilities and meet other brethren.
As a EA I am sure I have a lot to learn about our rules and protocols, but I assure you that as an executive of a media company in charge of international relations, and as a Texan who was taught common courtesy, respect, and hospitality, I would make sure not to embarrass myself, my lodge, or the GLoT.
I am now very excited to understand the process of “Sojourning†in my Masonic life since I seem to have misunderstood, its purpose and rules.

Thank you for the correction in etiquette, and I again apologize for any breach.
Additionally my appreciation to the other brethren for the assistance and comments given.

“I See You’ve Traveled Someâ€

Wherever you may chance to be
Wherever you may roam,
Far away in foreign lands;
Or just at Home Sweet Home.

It always gives you pleasure,
it makes your heart strings hum
Just to hear the words of cheer,
"I see you've traveled some."

When you get a brother's greeting,
And he takes you by the hand,
It thrills you with a feeling
that you cannot understand.

You feel that bond of brotherhood
that tie that's sure to come
When you hear him say in a friendly way

And if you are a stranger,
In strange lands all alone
If fate has left you stranded
Dead broke and far from home.

It thrills you--makes you numb,
When he says with a grip
of fellowship,

And when your final summons comes,
To take a last long trip,
Adorned with Lambskins Apron White
and gems of fellowship.

The tiler at the Golden Gate,
With square and rule and plumb
Will size up your pin and say "Walk In",
"I see you've traveled someâ€​

nightjmper

Bro. Josh, our young Brother is in China now and he has the personal email addy of the GS of China. The GSoC is an honorable man and looks forward to seeing visitors. My worry is the young Brother is an EA and does not have a dues card. But Im sure he is willing to be tried.

I did not see your comment prior to the last reply. I am going through email with my morning tea. In the future I show review email in reverse order. :D

I wanted to thank you for your help, but I have decided to hold off on visiting any Masonic sights until a have a better understanding of things.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
Nightjmper, I did not know that the proper protocol was to go through the GLoTX either. One of the good things about this forum is we can all learn and improve ourselves together. I would recommend trying to find a lodge to visit.

owls84

Premium Member
Brother Hart is correct when he states if you are in the Jurisdiction you can contact them directly. I was stating that if you are planning on going to a lodge or can not find a lodge in a different Jurisdiction or don't have a List of Lodges Masonic book I suggest contacting the Grand Secretary of your jurisdiction. They are usually more than happy to help and they have stated there have been instances where they have had someone from the Lodge they are going to visit contact them.

It is win win and a great tool when traveling.

This is an actual email sent to RW Tommy Guest when a member of the GLoTX sent the GL of England a request for dress information ***

Dear Brother Guest,

Attached is an e-mail received from a Brother who I assume is a member
of a Lodge under your jurisdiction.

I am passing it to you, in accordance with Masonic protocol, that you
may supply him with the necessary information and advice.

Yours sincerely and fraternally,

Peter Roberts,
External Relations Adviser,
for Grand Chancellor

***Included with permission from the member