My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Breakdown....

gm727

Hello. My name is Mike G. I am a FC at Cornerstone 659. I'm located in La Habra, CA (a city in Los Angeles/Orange County border). I am about to open up to you, my Brothers, in hopes that someone will hear my plea for help.

I am a 27 year old student in a chiropractic university. I have been involved in business' my whole life. I've worked since 16 years old and have only known working and managing a business. I had decided to take the step in returning to school and becoming a doctor of chiropractic but with coming to almost a close on my first year I am seeing that more and more this is not meant for me. Day after day I am being broken down more and more, my spirits and mental health being crushed. I do understand that this is great for my future, becoming a doctor, owning a successful practice and what not. But Brothers, I don't know if I can make it.

See, my whole life I have been all about working and making money. I've never had to worry about where my car payment would come from or if I can make rent. Haven't had to ask my mother for money since I was 14 years old. The situation I am in now is bringing all those things upon me and I'm not sure how well I can handle it all. I'm a businessman at heart. That's what I love doing. I love taking a business and making it grow, with the room for me to grow as well.

I put my plea out there, if there are any Brothers in the Los Angeles area who need help and would like to help me, I ask for a career, not just a job. A career I can grow with. I ask for a Brother to stand by my side and help me grow as well.

I thank all of you my Brothers for taking the time to read this.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Hello. My name is Mike G. I am a FC at Cornerstone 659. I'm located in La Habra, CA (a city in Los Angeles/Orange County border). I am about to open up to you, my Brothers, in hopes that someone will hear my plea for help.

I am a 27 year old student in a chiropractic university. I have been involved in business' my whole life. I've worked since 16 years old and have only known working and managing a business. I had decided to take the step in returning to school and becoming a doctor of chiropractic but with coming to almost a close on my first year I am seeing that more and more this is not meant for me. Day after day I am being broken down more and more, my spirits and mental health being crushed. I do understand that this is great for my future, becoming a doctor, owning a successful practice and what not. But Brothers, I don't know if I can make it.

See, my whole life I have been all about working and making money. I've never had to worry about where my car payment would come from or if I can make rent. Haven't had to ask my mother for money since I was 14 years old. The situation I am in now is bringing all those things upon me and I'm not sure how well I can handle it all. I'm a businessman at heart. That's what I love doing. I love taking a business and making it grow, with the room for me to grow as well.

I put my plea out there, if there are any Brothers in the Los Angeles area who need help and would like to help me, I ask for a career, not just a job. A career I can grow with. I ask for a Brother to stand by my side and help me grow as well.

Brother I commend you for reaching out....however im not sure what it is that your asking for.....are you in need of a job? Do you need help with school? Are you thinking about hurting yourself? I sincerly hope its not the last one. If it is you need to immediately call a crisis hotline. If its either if the other 2 you should speak to your lodge, school, parents/family, ect ect. You mention all youve ever done is run successful businesses.....maybe look to going back to one of them. Also maybe its not school maybe its the fact that you didn't plan for this life shift well enough. You said youve never had to worry about money but you just left behind your job and jumped both feet in the fire amd went to school without a solid plan to make it to the end.....im sorry if that sounds harsh but like i said in the beginning not wxactly sure what your asking for.....good luck.brother...feel free to pm me if you need/want to talk

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

gm727

Ps.....im am Army recruiter so if you really want to make a difference let me know....

What I think I'm looking for is someone to help save me from school. Help me enter a business and be a mentor and help me make it without going through chiropractic university. I'm not looking to hurt myself but you are correct that I was not ready for this drastic life change. And as for joining the military, I'm not a fighting man. I know there are many other jobs in the military, but are there jobs that can help me make at least $10,000 or so a month? A non-fighting position, possibly can stay home but also willing to travel to a non war-zone. I am proud of my country but unlike the many brave men and women who are ready to put their life on the line, I am not. I just want to have a successful career with a beautiful family. As an only son to my single mother, I could not take the risk that so many do and I hope that's something you can understand.

Thank you.

gm727

Of course I'll willing to work up to that number, I'm not expecting to just receive it.

Honestly Brother, I am just in such a weird place right now that things are unbelievably cloudy but hopefully I can see through this.

Bloke

Premium Member
Well, since you asked:

Go to school and get an education.

Or

Look at becoming an apprentice in one of the trades: plumber. electrician.

At 44, director of a public company at 30 listed on a stock exchange, I can tell you I have a wealth of experience, but not having formal qualifications in business has held me back. I did earn $9k last month working part time (good result for the month, but I've had months this financial year in the negative), but I'd be earning more with formal qualifications. I also advise getting formal qualifications.

GKA

Premium Member
I am saddened that the key to success for some seems to be a better job, an exciting career, a higher social status.
The fundamental teachings of Freemasonry are very clear to me, recall that what a man does for himself dies with him, but what he does for other lives on.
I will suggest that you seek a divine purpose and that no amount of money or success will satisfy your desire
Follow your heart, not your head.

Keith C

I am saddened that the key to success for some seems to be a better job, an exciting career, a higher social status.
The fundamental teachings of Freemasonry are very clear to me, recall that what a man does for himself dies with him, but what he does for other lives on.
I will suggest that you seek a divine purpose and that no amount of money or success will satisfy your desire

Well said Brother!

Reactions: GKA

SCStrong

$10000 a month? Without an education? Brother if tou find that let me know and ill get outta the Army tomorrow

Call me as well ....... for 10K a month I'll go back to the Army in a flash ( or pretty much anywhere for that kind of cash)

Well, since you asked:

Go to school and get an education.

Or

Look at becoming an apprentice in one of the trades: plumber. electrician.

Great advice here - I know first hand that a trained electrician. welder, HVAC Tech, Plumber, Millwright or the like are all in high demand and command a solid salary. ( some, in the 100k + a year range)
If Chiropractic is not what you want to study - find something you like and go for it.

Well Said Brother - We often get bogged down in the things that are not important; thanks, for reminding us what really matters!

Last edited:
Reactions: GKA

SCStrong

GM727
I am not a wise man but I will offer this advice:
1. If you feel depressed or in anyway want to harm yourself or others........ don't walk but rather, run to a mental health professional or minister, call a hotline, a friend, a teacher, a cop.... someone!!! Nothing in this life is worth hurting yourself for.

2. If you are frustrated because you do not enjoy or see a future in Chiropractic - study something else. If the issue is that you like the field but are not fairing well academically - talk to your professors, ask about a tutor, or speak with your counselor. I believe anyone can learn anything if they try hard enough.

3. I appreciate what you said about your work ethic and I fully understand - but don't let a short term situation or a temporary lack of capital due to school affect your long term decision making...... Stop, rethink you path, define your goals, make a plan, and follow it. Think long term. Short term you may have to cut your budget or rethink your spending but it can be done- success is a slow process - be patient, buckle down & work hard - success will come.

4. As a Mason I know you worship God - Remind yourself every day of your faith, your beliefs, and what you hold dear - focus on these things and the stress of work, money, school, and such will lessen. "Ora Et Labora" Rough Translation: Pray then work
Hope this helps!
Best wishes and good luck to you, Brother.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
So, the attorney's furnace stops working. He calls the plumber. Plumber spends 15 minutes, and the heat is humming. Plumber gives attorney a bill for $100. The attorney exclaims that the bill computes to $400 an hour, and he only charges $350 an hour.

"Yeah," says the plumber. "That's what I charged when I was an attorney."

CLewey44

I think Rip had a good point. The military is always a good option if you are eligible. If you have your undergrad already, you may even qualify as an officer and that's not a bad gig. I would definitely look into the four branches (five if you count USCG). Even if you just went Guard or Reserve, it'd be a good starting point and they may pay for your college. You're young enough for most, if not all, branches.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member

I went back to University at the age of 37 in 2014. I had roughly two years under my belt before I dropped out because I was already making decent money in the trade I was going to school for (Land Surveying Engineering)

So, fast forward from 1996 to 2014 and I had the opportunity to finish my degree. I took it.

I have:
- Full time job
- Wife
- 1.5 year old son at the time I went back
- Mortgage
- -Masonic Officer (I had to idle in a non-speaking chair for two years because the Lodge saw potential in me for the future)
- An hour commute to school from work and an hour and a half commute home from school.
- The curriculum is offered as night classes only.
- I was 37 when I went back to school. I graduated this past May with a 3.95 GPA. I busted my ass to get through school and to do well.

Here is why you should go back to school now.
1) As you get older, you become expendable. If you work in an area where a degree or a license to practice is required, you're going to severely damage your marketability as you grow older.
2) See number one.
3) You can be independent.
4) See number one.
5) It's easier to do it when you're young versus when you're old. I am emotionally and physically drained. You do not recover easily from sleep deprivation at my age.

Regardless of what you're going to school for, pick a career path NOW and do something about it. If you're going to go through life thinking someone is going to hand you an opportunity, you will get nowhere because you have never done anything for yourself, by yourself. Also, if you're working for someone, you will never make 10K a month unless you're union (good luck depending what state you're in) or you're in a high demand trade. Let's face it though. Do you want to be 50 years old with a sore back crawling around in 120 degree attics in the the summer doing HVAC work?

Take the world by the balls before it takes yours. Get through school and do what you need to do to secure your future.

If you do go the trade route, get certified in as many niches as you can in the path you take so you can reap the rewards when other companies fall short.

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I went back to University at the age of 37 in 2014. I had roughly two years under my belt before I dropped out because I was already making decent money in the trade I was going to school for (Land Surveying Engineering)

So, fast forward from 1996 to 2014 and I had the opportunity to finish my degree. I took it.

I have:
- Full time job
- Wife
- 1.5 year old son at the time I went back
- Mortgage
- -Masonic Officer (I had to idle in a non-speaking chair for two years because the Lodge saw potential in me for the future)
- An hour commute to school from work and an hour and a half commute home from school.
- The curriculum is offered as night classes only.
- I was 37 when I went back to school. I graduated this past May with a 3.95 GPA. I busted my ass to get through school and to do well.

Here is why you should go back to school now.
1) As you get older, you become expendable. If you work in an area where a degree or a license to practice is required, you're going to severely damage your marketability as you grow older.
2) See number one.
3) You can be independent.
4) See number one.
5) It's easier to do it when you're young versus when you're old. I am emotionally and physically drained. You do not recover easily from sleep deprivation at my age.

Regardless of what you're going to school for, pick a career path NOW and do something about it. If you're going to go through life thinking someone is going to hand you an opportunity, you will get nowhere because you have never done anything for yourself, by yourself. Also, if you're working for someone, you will never make 10K a month unless you're union (good luck depending what state you're in) or you're in a high demand trade. Let's face it though. Do you want to be 50 years old with a sore back crawling around in 120 degree attics in the the summer doing HVAC work?

Take the world by the balls before it takes yours. Get through school and do what you need to do to secure your future.

If you do go the trade route, get certified in as many niches as you can in the path you take so you can reap the rewards when other companies fall short.
Friggen double like!

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
It was fun, but painful. My sleep pattern is f****d up because of it. I was up at 5:45 to get my wife and son out the door and then follow behind them 10 minutes later to get to work by 7. I worked till 4 and drove up to NJIT. Depending on the semester, I was driving up there three times a week and every other Saturday for lab/practicals. Homework had me up to 2 AM most nights. Add on to the fact that the program was year round. Fall Spring Summer. Rinse and repeat. I did a two week winter quick term in Management over winter break. 14 weeks compressed to two ....... sucks but it was one less class I had to take in the spring. That left me with 3 senior level classes instead of 4 in the spring of 2017. Last year I went to Corolla, NC for a vacation. I had to bring my laptop with me to do my school work! wtf~

I was Marshal in 2014 when my employer said he'd help me finish my degree out. It was not a chair in the line, but I had already approached the incoming master about getting in line before I was given the opportunity at work to go back to school. I told the WM that I would have to drop out and he said that he would fill the chair for the remainder of the year when I knew I was not going to make the second half of the year. The master for the next year also did not want me dropping. My low position meant it was workable, I guess.

My boundary law classes in the fall of 2015 and spring of 2016 were meeting nights. The second half of my year as steward had me at school. An officer ahead of me was dropping from the line in the upcoming year. Everyone below him would have skipped a chair. This would have had me moving right into senior master of ceremonies. Instead, the Jr. Steward hopped me and I was put in Jr. MoC where there is no speaking parts during degrees (asides for one line) and the floor work is easy enough for a sub-in when a degree is done. I was back in lodge and in my chair the second half of 2016 and it worked out to where I would not miss any more meetings because of school.

Fast forward to october of 2016. Our JD dropped out because of real life issues. Now we all move up again and I'm in the chair I was supposed to be in. I'm doing degree work, re-memorizing work I let slide because I was hopped and homework for university. I wrapped up my university the first half of 2017 when I was installed as JD in December of 2016. Fun times for all.

I could not, nor do I know how to thank my wife for her support. I look back on what I did and I don't know how I did it.

---edited: Sorry if my post is a grammatical mess. I'm at work and just typing away. Also, while I did talk about myself a lot, I hope the OP sees what I did is not fantasy.

Last edited:

gm727

I want to take a moment and thank everyone who has replied to this! I appreciate it so much. All of you, each reply and each piece of advice has helped me gather myself together. I may not be doing so well in school right now but I know I'll pick myself right back up. I am doing my hardest to pass and reach my goals. I was in such a place where, because Im getting older and I saw hard times in school, I was beginning to doubt myself that I can even make it, that I'll even pass anything. I will work hard and keep pushing forward. Again, thank you all for taking the time and helping me out.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I want to take a moment and thank everyone who has replied to this! I appreciate it so much. All of you, each reply and each piece of advice has helped me gather myself together. I may not be doing so well in school right now but I know I'll pick myself right back up. I am doing my hardest to pass and reach my goals. I was in such a place where, because Im getting older and I saw hard times in school, I was beginning to doubt myself that I can even make it, that I'll even pass anything. I will work hard and keep pushing forward. Again, thank you all for taking the time and helping me out.
Every time a new semester started, I thought I was going to fail when I looked over the syllabus. Even when I took the class day by day and did well, it was the same story every semester. It would start and I'd go home feeling like I got punched in the stomach. The point of school is to learn. I felt the way I did because everything I was looking at was something I did not know how to do when it was outside the scope of my knowledge.

You have to want to learn. My motivation was my son. Where can he see himself being when he is an adult if he saw his father accomplish something? Also, the home I can provide for him will be better because of my future licensure.