My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My emblems

Brother JStoffo

Right? Great Architect, God or Geometry? Coud make the letter an M, a D or a G in Spanish depending on the meaning. G is all encompassing in English and has multiple meanings.

Chris H

IMG_8979.png
A quick Google suggests a G is used in Spain at least.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The only threads that I saw on the Square and Compass emblem were very old, so I am posting it here. I will apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread for this emblem question. I saw in an old thread by Brother Bloke that you have the letter G in Australia. I was under the impression that this addition was only in the USA. What other countries include the letter G inside of the Square and compasses? In Latin America, would it be the letter D?
In addition to Scotland, some European and South American GLs use the G.They may also use a star. https://granlogia.bo/

You can visit websites from here to find your answer: https://www.ugle.org.uk/about-us/foreign-grand-lodges

Brother JStoffo

If the G were for God, it would be a D for Dios in Latin American countries. But Grand Architect would be Gran Arquitecto so...

Any Brothers from Spanish speaking Lodges out there care to assist in solving this mystery?

Bloke

Premium Member
The only threads that I saw on the Square and Compass emblem were very old, so I am posting it here. I will apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread for this emblem question. I saw in an old thread by Brother Bloke that you have the letter G in Australia. I was under the impression that this addition was only in the USA. What other countries include the letter G inside of the Square and compasses? In Latin America, would it be the letter D?
Our GLs don't use the Letter G, but many lodges do as does our art.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
So, my rituals are wrong when they state specifically that it stands for deity?

I think the confusion may be the belief that it means the same in all rituals. It does not. In some, God is specifically indicated. In some, it is Grand Geometrician. In others (Ireland), it is the Master’s word. I’m aware of one old French that used “God”;and then, parenthetically, Dieu.

Winter

Premium Member
If the G were for God, it would be a D for Dios in Latin American countries. But Grand Architect would be Gran Arquitecto so...

Any Brothers from Spanish speaking Lodges out there care to assist in solving this mystery?
The second degree tracing board lecture is very clear that the G represents (or one of the meanings) is that all of our actions are in the presence of the God.

The Scottish Rite NMJ website has a nice article that touches on the ancient connections to the letter G's symbolism:

The letter G derives from ancient languages, with early variations found in several ancient languages, including Aramaic, Phoenician, Syriac, Greek, and Hebrew. Examples of the letter in these languages include:
Hebrew: Gimel
Phoenician: Gamma
Aramaic: Gammal
Syriac: Gamal/Gomal
Greek: Gamma
In Hebrew, Gimel notably appears as the third letter in the alphabet and is assigned the numerical symbol three. Throughout history, the number three is used as a reference to God or the Master Architect.

JanneProeliator

We use the letter G in Finland. G could be Geometry or God or something else. Eaven, we speak Finnish in here there is no point of changing the G to J (Jumala) if meaning is God. It has also other meanings and original language of freemasonry is English so why change it. :)

Brother JStoffo

Saw another one today. A possible additional meaning of the G may be "Gnosis". These articles are extremely wordy but these guys are supposedly a group of Master Masons. Anyone follow this group? Legitimate?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Saw another one today. A possible additional meaning of the G may be "Gnosis". These articles are extremely wordy but these guys are supposedly a group of Master Masons. Anyone follow this group? Legitimate?

I’m familiar with the concept. I’m unaware of any ritual which supports this. I don’t find the usual arguments persuasive, in part because the sources are sometimes not reliable.

LD1513PM

In our lodge, which is in Scotland, we use the G.....and in sister lodges I've visited all use the G

When the candidate is on the 1st degree, he is taught that the letter G stand for God, the great architect of the universe, in the 2nd, its God, the grand geometrical of the universe and in the 3rd, its God, the most high.
We don't use any other name to describe him

LD1513PM

I don't see why not.
It's not as if she going to try and pass herself off as being "a brother" lol.
She may wish to wear it for sentimental reasons which I'm sure she wouldn't be the first lady to do so.

S.M.I.B

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I have a daughter and no sons. Can I pass my 14th degree ring onto her when I croak?
No one can prohibit you from doing as you wish. However, as a member of the Southern Jurisdiction, upon the death of the owner, the ring should go into the hands of his widow, eldest son, the friend who was loved above all others, or another Scottish Rite Mason.