My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member from Germany

baunataler

Greetings from Germany,

I have been a member of this board for quite some time now but I have not introduced me yet.

My name is Larry, I am 46 yo and I live now in Germany.

Here I contacted a local lodge and after a brief meeting outside of the lodge with the WM I was invited to their guest evenings, which take place once a month. My decision was already made, I knew that I wanted to be a freemason, but these evenings gave me the possibility to meet other brothers, see what is the atmosphere, see if I feel welcomed, etc.

Last month, after the meeting I informed the WM about my intention, meaning that I would like to join the craft. Since then I filled out a form and a few days ago I was contacted by one of the brothers who said that he would like to visit me at home.

So, long story short: today is the day! Three brothers from the lodge will come tonight to my place (I only know one of them). I am not scared, but rather tense, especially since my wife said that she will not join the meeting. She is not against me joining the craft, but I cannot say that she fully agrees. She said it's my decision and she would gladly accept the idea that I spend one evening a month at the lodge than at the bar (needless to say, I don't spend my nights at the bar!)

I am not quite sure how can I explain this to the guests and what kind of impact would this have on their decision.

Other than that, I expect the classic question "Why do you want to join the masonry?" - which is very hard to answer. Yes, there is curiosity, but this play a very minor role in my decision.
I know that a lot of personalities have been masons and played a major role in the history and I would be proud to be a member of the same fraternity. I know the old saying "We take good men and make them better", and the question is "Am I a good man?" I cannot answer that, but what I know is that I am willing to work on my rough on my rough ashlar and make it better.

What is your opinion? What should I expect tonight?

Wishing you a nice and relaxing weekend,

Larry