Oculists Order - Wired Magazine

Discussion in 'Freemasonry in the Press' started by Preston DuBose, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Preston DuBose

Preston DuBose Registered User

2. cjapgar

cjapgar Premium Member

Thanks for sharing Brother!

3. Bro_Vick

Bro_Vick Moderator Premium Member

Great article! Thanks for sharing!

S&F,
    -Bro Vick

4. cog41

cog41 Premium Member

Very Interseting indeed.

Thanks!

5. Bubba

Bubba Registered User

Oculists Order? There ain't nothin ocult about Masonary.

6. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Can't tell if you're being really funny or not... Oculist, not occult. Ocular as in relating to the eyes. Although by definition, Freemasonry would be an occult order. Occult from latin occultus meaning "hidden", "secret", or "obscure". Order meaning "a group of people united in a formal way". Not to be taken as a "secret soceity", but rather a society whose teachings are obscured in symbolism and veiled in allegory... or is it the other way around?

Interesting side note: look up the definition of "order" on the Merriam-Webster dictionary online. The "Illustration of ORDER" should look quite familiar. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/order

7. scialytic

scialytic Premium Member

It's a great line in the article Brother. I can't believe I didn't send this to you! It is pretty interesting. I was a Wired subscriber until I moved. I need to get that set up again. That's a bad ass techie magazine...it's right up your alley Daniel.

The columns are pretty interesting. I was just reading that Noah Webster was an anti-Mason, along with John Quincy Adams. But I guess any educated person would associate order with architecture (I'm actually not being facetious...my dad promptly identified the same when he visited the Valley of Dallas for our Burns' Supper Event; educated people do associate the two, apparently).

8. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Especially so if one knows the FC Lecture! :wink:

Share My Freemasonry