My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Day Journey

Traveling Man

Premium Member
First off, I owe an apology to those brethren that choose to take umbrage with my derogatory term (which I will not use again). Although context is everything, it was meant to be humorous in that context. (See guarding the west gate allusion and that particular candidate.)

Making a mason on sight is truly a grand masters prerogative and in no way has ever been meant to be construed into ODC s. (If one wants to use it as a crutch, so be it.) Examples of that particular unique function are Bros. such as Bro. Richard Dreyfuss et al. Masonic Dictionary, Masons made at sight If one notes the candidates listed are not candidates of the ODC phenomenon that we are witnessing today, this function was reserved. (And in some jurisdictions both are deemed as irregular and illegal)

One has to wonder if a candidate does not have the time for the traditional IPR and mentoring, (the very foundation of our institution) will he have time for masonry? I also wonder what dates are imprinted on the inner bib of their apron? Again, what comes to my mind is the Tyler’s oath? That aside (I know my next statement will elicit the response; “who gives a flying fig”), does the candidate not realize that internationally the time between degrees is one year? Whether we want to acknowledge this or not, we are part of an international institution.
(And these actions (ODC s) are considered internationally with great disdain.) Are we that concerned about quantity over quality? Or is this a mechanism of bowing to the pressure of the de-pendant bodies political pressure on their loss of new candidates? For whatever reason, are we failing to recognize that maybe some lodges need to close or consolidate? Without a doubt the halcyon days of behemoth lodges are long gone.

I was regularly IPR as a single candidate but it took at least two stated meetings for me to come to the realization that none of the principle officers could confer my degrees and that it was a contest of individuals practicing “on me” as the candidate. Is this the impression one wants to leave with the candidate?

Has anyone surveyed these candidates after the appropriate time for progression into major offices about their feedback?

As far as the generational gap, I think perhaps the generations have different cultures, values and ethics.
Perhaps submitting oneself to be judged by others does not fit within their norms. As with other groups such as the Rotary etc. Have we become irrelevant? I do not have all of the answers to these questions, but just submit them as food for thought.

Last edited:

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Re: you cannot destroy the strongman's goods...

Using the term "McMason" is disrespectful to brothers like Bro Chris, and I respectfully ask that it not be used.

I can respect your concern over the usage this term. I assure you that it has little to do with the individual Brothers, but as to the method. It is certainly not my desire to Offend anyone personally here or elsewhere & I am sorry if I have done so by using this term.

We have a few more than that so I have been told but I have never counted them myself. By my rough estimate we have around 3200 hundred words for the EA and about 1,500 for the FC and around the same for the Masters. THis is a really rough estimate and I would need to talk to some old timers to get a definite answer on this but I would be willing to bet my estimate is a little low.
We have a saying here in the Lone Star State "Everything is Bigger" and we try our darndest to hold true to that, for better or worse!

I was thinking that the EA was 2300, but I think that you are correct with the FC & MM or at least close.

david918

Premium Member
Reminds me when I used to visit a lodge in Louisana they said our ritual reminded them of someone who walked around the whole block to open the front door;)

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
does the candidate not realize that internationally the time between degrees is one year? Whether we want to acknowledge this or not, we are part of an international institution.

If you are going to bring up this comparison than you need to also state that European lodges mert once to four times a year versus American Lodges where the majority meet one to twice a month year round (some retire during the summer or winter months, depending on location). So really there is isn't much to compare, while we are an international community, in America the state Grand Lodge controls the time between degrees and the criteria that the candidate is initiated, passed and raised.

I have traveled from one end of this globe to the other and have sat in lodge with many brothers. I have seen men join the blue lodge, do the memorization work to get raised and never be seen again, either to the shrine or another apendent body, or leave fulfilling a promise to a relative. I have also met and sat in lodge with men who went through the dreaded one day class and have done more for Freemasonry than most do in their lifetime.

My viewpoint was once like yours that anything worth doing, is worth doing well. But I have realized that while the ritual is a key part of Freemasonry, the contributions of men is what keeps it going and make it still alive. The young struggling lodge is far more valuable than the Past Masters Club that knows all the words to all the parts in all three degrees. While a man needs to go through the degrees and meet the criteria of his Grand Lodge, the greater comment on his character isn't how he goes through the degrees to be me made, but how he contributes to our great fraternity in perpetuating it's legacy for future generations.

Two final points, then I will get off of my soapbox:

1) Texas in the near future has no threat of ever doing one day classes, it won't be happening anytime soon. For other states, as I have written before I trust their Grand Master and their Past Masters to be making the right decisions for their state and their respective lodges. I am not going to sit in San Antonio and wave the finger of shame at another jurisdiction, not knowing the full story of what is going on in that jurisdiction.

2) The fastest way to turn away men from the fraternity is to disparage ones who have gone through the one day class. A brother is a brother and you do him harm by belittling his entry into the fraternity.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

JJones

You have several valid points Brother Vick. I was going to leave this thread be, having said my piece, but your post prompted me to add a little more. If everyone bears with me I'll be quiet after this. Also I've woken up at a very unusual hour for me this morning so I'll try to piece my thoughts together as legibly as possible. :)

1) Texas in the near future has no threat of ever doing one day classes, it won't be happening anytime soon. For other states, as I have written before I trust their Grand Master and their Past Masters to be making the right decisions for their state and their respective lodges. I am not going to sit in San Antonio and wave the finger of shame at another jurisdiction, not knowing the full story of what is going on in that jurisdiction.

This is true, it's hard to know another jurisdiction's story without actually living there and it's really their own business how they choose to represent themselves there. Wagging our finger from Texas wont do anyone any good and one day journies may be a very good thing for that place and time. Really, I don't suppose I care much about how other jurisdictions operate, I hope that doesn't make me a bad mason. I suppose what I do care about are practices I see as detrimental being conducted here in Texas though. Like you say, there's probably little chance of that happening any time soon. *knocks on wood*

I have traveled from one end of this globe to the other and have sat in lodge with many brothers. I have seen men join the blue lodge, do the memorization work to get raised and never be seen again, either to the shrine or another apendent body, or leave fulfilling a promise to a relative. I have also met and sat in lodge with men who went through the dreaded one day class and have done more for Freemasonry than most do in their lifetime.

I feel it really depends on the mason, not how they were raised. If someone joins just to satisfy a whim or to go on to the Shrine then they'll be gone no matter what you do. If someone joins because they actually want to get involved in the fraternity then they'll likely want to stay and make themselves useful however they can.

Sitting through a mass degree doesn't make a brother less of a mason but I do feel it cheats them out of some very important experiences. Like I mentioned before, I was made a Yorkrite Mason/Templar in a one day festival and I don't feel like any less of a Royal Arch Mason or Knight but I do feel as though I missed out on a majority of the experience just by sitting there.

Last edited:

Benton

Premium Member
Sitting through a mass degree doesn't make a brother less of a mason but I do feel it cheats them out of some very important experiences. Like I mentioned before, I was made a Yorkrite Mason/Templar in a one day festival and I don't feel like any less of a Royal Arch Mason or Knight but I do feel as though I missed out on a majority of the experience just by sitting there.

This is important.

The York Rite degrees that I remember best were the ones where I was the candidate. The ones I remember least are the ones where I sat on the sideline, watching another candidate go through. I'm not necessarily saying it should be changed, but its far, far more affecting for the candidate to actually be the candidate, not an observer. Something I would like to see preserved in blue lodge.

bullrack33

Premium Member
The fraternity grew entirely too large in the 1940s and 1950s the previous generation of Freemasons warn the GI Generation brothers that things are getting too big too fast and that no one was watching the West Gate, the fraternity was never meant to be that large.

In my opinion, this is indeed true. I hope that I offend no one with this statement but I believe that quantity is NEVER better that quality. Today, more that at any other time in our nation's history, everything is being cheapened. Freemasonry included. There are a great number of lessons that are taught us through the memory work in the Degrees that are of the utmost importance to our Brethren's and indeed our Fraternity's Masonic edifice.

I had the privilege of attending a Stated Meeting of Dublin Lodge #2 in Dublin Ireland a couple of years ago. This lodge was chartered in 1727. This subject came up in conversation and the Brethren there were absolutely dumbfounded by the idea of a "one day journey".

Benton

Premium Member
Today, more that at any other time in our nation's history, everything is being cheapened.

We very much live in an instant gratification society, and I do think that's a contributing factor in this debate. There are many men who may otherwise be good men, but don't necessarily have the patience to take the time and do things 'right' as such.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of one day journeys at all. But we do live in an instant gratification society. Instant news, instant calls, instant text, heck, the internet is in my pocket, and I can access wikipedia, one of the largest sources of general human information in our history, while I'm sitting waiting for my digital 3D megasound uber action movie to start. :p

I don't think we should bend to that inclination, because that's not what we're about. We're about a lifelong journey of introspection and brotherhood, not instant gratification. But it is something we all should be aware of.

KFerguson84

Premium Member
jwhoff said:
It's always disappointing to hear a man prove by his own words and actions that he has absolutely no idea of the principles of the brotherhood he is so proud of being a member. Very disappointing.

Well put, Brother.

Kyle Ferguson, FGCR

KFerguson84

Premium Member
Nemesis242 said:
I understand some of the concerns that are being voiced over One Day Journeys, what is not being taken in consideration is the alarming rate of the loss of our Masonic Brothers. On Oct. 30, 2010 a massive recruitment was done in PA where an initiate could become a Master Mason, Receive 32 Degree, and become a Shriner all in one day, there was 1,937 Initiates. Sounds like a lot but there are more statistics that frighten me more. In 2009 alone, there was a total loss of 2,918 Brothers for various reasons (death, illness, etc.) and in 2010 a total gain of 449, the first membership growth in 50 years!! That's Frightening!! If these journeys are not taken there won't be anyone to pass the knowledge & skills on to cause not enough members are joining. I too just was Raised in a One Day Journey on 6-11-2011 but I have every intention of getting all knowledge & skills being offered to me. When I look at the other Brothers in my Lodge I see the past (meaning none of them are young) I myself am 47 years old and most of them are in their late 50's & 60's and retired. The younger crowd aren't interested in joining an that scares me. If someone else has some input on this I would love to read it. Please don't be too quick to judge. Good Luck Brothers!!

Bro.
What was your motivation for joining, if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be very "scared" and "frightened" by the state of the Fraternity.

I think a point that is missed here is that Freemasonry is not about getting as many members as we can. It is a way of life that is taught through degrees. In my opinion, there should be several months between degrees, not several minutes.

Numbers will not save the Fraternity. Quality will. Quality in everything we do. 100 quality brothers who practice the teachings and philosophy are better than 300,000 brothers who have no idea about the interior work. The information taught in the degrees can never be fully communicated in 8 hours. One degree needs to be taken and dwelled upon for months before advancement to the next.

Kyle Ferguson, FGCR