My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Thing I have Noticed

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
:confused:In the few lodges that I have sat in, I have noticed something. When a degree is being confered, lodge is opened for business and then all the positions are filled by other brothers. It is like a scramble, or musical chairs. Is this because not all brothers know there roles in all three degree? Or could it be to give people learning this roles a chance to practice? Could it be a courtesy to the installed officers? Something I have seen at every degree that I have been to so far, and yet I still keep waiting for every one to stay in their position.

Last edited:

chrmc

I think it may be all of the above reasons that you stay. Some lodges don't have that many people that know the longer parts of some of the degrees, whilst others make sure to rotate people so they have a good core to pull from that all know the work.

Trufflehound

All of the reasons you have listed are reasons why I've seen that happen (and then some). Some times, it's all past masters. Or if a lodge is conferring a degree as a courtesy, maybe one of the chairs is filled by a member of the other lodge. There's a plethora of reasons as to why it may happen, really.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
We do that on occasion. It mostly happens when we are doing courtesy work. Some of the Brothers from the Lodge we are doing the work for may want to sit in a chair for the degree but not opening. I have seen some that only do one part of a degree and nothing else so when it is time to open they can't do it, but are very proficient at a degree part.

otherstar

In my home lodge, the installed officers were always in their proper chairs for opening and closing. Degrees were seldom conferred by the installed officers as a whole. That could be what is happening in the lodges you visit.

EDITED post to reflect a better choice of words thanks to the observation of Red Templar.

Last edited:

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
It depends who has memorized the ritual and floor work to confer the degree and present the various sections thereof. It's a different set of memory work from the business of opening and closing the lodge.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
I don't know what this has to do with anything being discussed, but there is a big difference between conferring a degree and "putting one on".

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In Texas, only the current WM, current SW or JW, or a Past Master of that Lodge, may open the Lodge. Afterward, any Master Mason, whether he be amenable to the Grand Lodge of Texas or to another Grand Lodge in amity with the GLoT, may preside during a degree conferral. Many of the installed officers do not know their respective parts in the several Degrees, thus they will be in their chairs for the opening of the Lodge and then allow the members of the degree team to supplant them.

sgtfred13

I know we sometimes move around because of who the candidate is. Last year a candidates father was initiated so the son wanted to sit in the east and the candidates father sat in the west. There are many reasons for moving around in the chairs for degree work.