My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patent

1mic2

Has anybody here gotten there patent and how important do you think it is that every M.M get one?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In the US it doesn't seem to be a common practice for MMs to receive one. I would like to see more lodges give a certificate of some kind to newly Raised Brethren, like the ones UGLE lodges present.

1mic2

I too think it would be good for Brethren to receive. The first chance I had after being raised I did my O.B in open Lodge. I thought it would be a great legal document.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My lodge was recently visited by a Brother from the Netherlands. His patent was a large document with wax seals, and it folded into a hard cover about the size of a passport. I would like to bind my English Certificate in a similar fashion.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Has anybody here gotten there patent and how important do you think it is that every M.M get one?

My mother jurisdiction sends a wallet size certificate when you complete your MM proficiency. The Gr Sec office offers a full size version for framing. I have it in a tube next to my while leather apron. In the tube are my first PM full size and a couple of other presentations.

As all US jurisdictions (most of all North American jurisdictions?) send dues cards we don't need additional documents. A patent is a form published by grand lodge signed by the local lodge secretary that says you were in good standing at the time it was issued (on large paper, might not be current if you stop paying your dues). A dues card is a form published by grand lodge signed by the local lodge secretary that says you were in good standing at the time it was issued (on small paper, issued one year at a time so NPD is not an issue).

As a fun variation Illinois recently started sending out life (called endowed in Texas) membership cards that are permanent plastic. There isn't a way for a life member to be NPD at his own lodge so other than size it's very much a patent.

1mic2

Thanks for the enlightenment on the subject. I too was thinking of a way to preserve my first apron. I still have it in my apron case. Framing it is a great idea. I understand you're comment about the due card. It will show that your still active and current on your dues.