My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

petition process

jim b

I am not a mason what I have read about it I like and would like to be one , here's my question if the petition requires two sponsors to sign and I don't know any masons don't recall ever meeting one does the petition process just stop at that point . I meet all of the other requirements I just lack the inside help if this disqualifies me then that really stinks and changes my view on the whole thing can any of you give an answer or a direction to go in thank you

Winter

Premium Member
I am not a mason what I have read about it I like and would like to be one , here's my question if the petition requires two sponsors to sign and I don't know any masons don't recall ever meeting one does the petition process just stop at that point . I meet all of the other requirements I just lack the inside help if this disqualifies me then that really stinks and changes my view on the whole thing can any of you give an answer or a direction to go in thank you
Once you contact the Lodge to express interest, they will spend time getting to know you until 2 Brothers are comfortable signing your petition.

jim b

Once you contact the Lodge to express interest, they will spend time getting to know you until 2 Brothers are comfortable signing your petition.
the problem is that is not what happened they read my name at the meeting so I was told and when nobody knew me that was the end of it there was no offer of getting to know me just plain no .

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
the problem is that is not what happened they read my name at the meeting so I was told and when nobody knew me that was the end of it there was no offer of getting to know me just plain no .
In what country are you making effort to join?

jim b

not being a mason I'm not sure what you are asking if you mean how many lodges in the state of georgia a bunch there must be thousands but this not knowing anyone is consistant a friend just got rejected a few months ago for the same reason just does not know anyone in the lodge

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
not being a mason I'm not sure what you are asking if you mean how many lodges in the state of georgia a bunch there must be thousands but this not knowing anyone is consistant a friend just got rejected a few months ago for the same reason just does not know anyone in the lodge
I provide to you a link. Use the link to look up lodges in your area. How many do you find?

jim b

yes I have been to that site in the past trying to join this organization has been a waste of my time and I've been a fool to think they would take me, the time has come to move on to some other club that I may have chance at joining

mvantuyl

Premium Member
I didn't know anyone at the lodge I joined. I visited for several months and got to know the members before petitioning. You might consider doing something similar.

Winter

Premium Member
yes I have been to that site in the past trying to join this organization has been a waste of my time and I've been a fool to think they would take me, the time has come to move on to some other club that I may have chance at joining
One of the requirements to petition a Lodge in GA for membership is very clear:

"Be recommended by two Masons who have known you for a minimum of six months and are members of a lodge recognized by the Grand Lodge of Georgia and one of whom must be a member of the lodge you wish to join."

It sounds like you have been petitioning Lodges without meeting this requirement. I would suggest you contact the Master or one of the other officers of the Lodge you want to join and express your desire to become a member and what would be the best way to get to know members of that Lodge so you can fulfill the requirement.

jim b

I didn't know anyone at the lodge I joined. I visited for several months and got to know the members before petitioning. You might consider doing something similar.
your missing the point they let you visit I'm being told no and then the cold shoulder treatment

jim b

One of the requirements to petition a Lodge in GA for membership is very clear:

"Be recommended by two Masons who have known you for a minimum of six months and are members of a lodge recognized by the Grand Lodge of Georgia and one of whom must be a member of the lodge you wish to join."

It sounds like you have been petitioning Lodges without meeting this requirement. I would suggest you contact the Master or one of the other officers of the Lodge you want to join and express your desire to become a member and what would be the best way to get to know members of that Lodge so you can fulfill the requirement.
it's probably best if I just forget the whole thing and move on

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Yes, I agree with you.

Your tale of woe makes no sense.

1) Petitions require at least two signatures from Freemasons in good standing.
2) These members would NOT have submitted a petition to a lodge that would reject anyone for not knowing members in it.
Such actions would be a waste of time for them, the lodge members, and you.

These are MAJOR RED FLAGS!

I shall now place you in the questionable category and ignore your future posting efforts since your pattern is akin to typical time wasters that are not true experiences but are likely fabricated to stir forum responses.

Bye Bye!

Last edited:

mvantuyl

Premium Member
When you say that they "read my name at the meeting", does that mean you filled out a petition? If so, you've jumped the gun. Before petitioning, you need to meet the members and get to know them.

Where in Georgia are you located?

Brother JStoffo

Bottom line is just keep going to meetings. I went for three years before I was initiated. Some Lodges move a little slower than others. Make yourself know, be a good man, show interest, help clean up the kitchen after dinner. You'll get there. There is very little that a good man can possibly do that would prevent you from becoming a Mason. Be patient. Show up to meetings. It's completely worth it.

Bloke

Premium Member
Well you are probably right, best to give up rather than to preserve.

That might surprise some folk in here to read that from me, but you don't join Freemasonry as a casual interest and it sounds like you lack commitment.
That said, if you did want to join, you've been given some good advice in this thread.

Or maybe you make a bad impression ? Try and change it, but if you meet the qualifications ( you should know them if you have researched) then it's worth trying to keep approaching them. Also, don't forget they are volunteers and Lodge sits within a larger life..