My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pointing out the Elephant...

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Very well said Brother John, and from a good point of view. I see you will make a fine MM. Good luck on your MM by the way.

David Duke

Premium Member
Well said brother John, I think we ALL could learn some very valuable lessons from you!!

And I do wish I could attend your MM degree tonight, enjoy it you will remember it forever.

peace out

Premium Member
Here, Here, Benton. I see a trend in the generation in their 20s and 30s ( I am 34) that now are looking inwardly again, as opposed to the baby boom generation trend that left their father's path.

I love religious talk, esoteric ideas, philosophy, and most especially the deeper meanings behind what we are learning as Masons. I am an Aggie, and there is a saying around here (true or not) that General Patton once said "Give me an army and I'll win the battle, give me a handful of Aggies and I'll win the war."

This resounds in my very fiber. I would rather attend lodge with only two people who were passionate than with 200 that really don't care. I say, make it more honorable to be a Mason. Don't up the dues, but up the ante. Make certain requirements for initiates. Make them feel like a part of it; that they are needed.

I see, Benton, that you were Passed over half a year after initiation. Congrats. I was initiated in mid June, passed my proficiency last week, and initiated as a FC the same night last week.

In some ways, I am happy at the progression to MM, but in other ways, I would not mind being forced to wait the time with patience to be passed and subsequently raised.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Price out the guys who are just showing up to cheat the Steward out of a bowl of bad soup, and you can start that process. I'm honestly not sure how else to begin.

This is exactly where you start. Plus nothing gets inactive members in lodge like talk of raising dues. ;)

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
My generation doesn't want a quicker, easier lunch like some people think. They may not know it yet, but they want to be challenged and presented with something of substance and value. Masonry can give them that, if we treat it properly.

Could not agree more but rarely in our society has one generation passed the torch without some razzing. I believe it is a right of passage kinda the poke we need to step up to the new bar. I look forward to hearing how you apply some of these changes to your lodge because i bet I will emulate a thing or two.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Or moving a building....

Heck yea that works like a champ come to find out. :) It also created one of the best discussion in lodge I have ever been apart of where the brothers came out on the same page and ready to work together.