My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Points of the extended compass

rebis

Premium Member
Do you wear you ring with the compass points towards or away from you and why?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

caution22113

Towards me. That is the way I was received. It also reminds me to stay within the points of the compasses... "Check my behavior"

rebis

Premium Member
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry Pro1398305178.772491.jpg
It ' s how I was received on my first admission into a lodge of master masons and it reminds me never to lose sight of that valuable instrument and the most important tenants of freemasonry.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

GKA

Premium Member
It makes no difference and our grand lodge has avoided making a ruling on the matter, however, I wear my ring with the points pointing away,
First, I do not need a ring to remind me of my obligation and
Second, since the compass represents that circle of due bounds, it makes sense to me that the points are the outer circle of that boundary, and I represent the point within it
Last, I know I am mason so everyone I meet should be met as I was first received, on the points.

MarkR

Premium Member
I wear my 14th degree ring, so I don't have to get dragged into discussions about which way a ring should be turned ;)
A 14° ring has a top and a bottom. Is the apex of the equilateral triangle toward the wrist or the fingertips?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It makes no difference and our grand lodge has avoided making a ruling on the matter, however, I wear my ring with the points pointing away,
First, I do not need a ring to remind me of my obligation and
Second, since the compass represents that circle of due bounds, it makes sense to me that the points are the outer circle of that boundary, and I represent the point within it
Last, I know I am mason so everyone I meet should be met as I was first received, on the points.
Very well said brother.

Reactions: GKA

chrmc

A 14° ring has a top and a bottom. Is the apex of the equilateral triangle toward the wrist or the fingertips?

That is true. In my case against the fingertips so the letter reads correctly when I look at it.

Canadian Paul

In Canada the 'Statutes and Regulations' of Supreme Council mandate that the 14* ring be worn with the apex of the triangle facing the finger-tip. Although I am Past Master I wear my Craft Lodge masonic ring with the tips of the compass facing towards me. My reasoning is that I wear it to remind myself that I am a freemason, not to inform others.