My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Fundraisers?

Bloke

Premium Member
Determine your annual operating cost and divide the number by how many dues paying members you have. Increase dues to that amount at a minimum.

It's the best fundraiser there is!
Does not work unless you have a large masonic user base , great for GL's and people sell buildings to concentrate lodges into one place to make your proposal work - and we loose buildings (Although your model can work in a location where the costs are low, such as the country.) . .

It takes about $25K PA to keep our building open, without significant maintenance or improvement cost. Say we have about 300 Freemasons using the building (that's probably generous), $25K divided by 300 = $83 per head PA. The only way that's likely to get paid is via rent from lodge use, putting per capita rent model aside, with 2 Craft, 1 Chapter, 1 Mark, 1 RAM, total 5 warrants, we'd need $5K from each lodge - with the Craft at 11 meetings per year, and other orders 5 meetings, that's a total of 37 meetings. The rent would need to be about $675 per meeting. What we actually charge varies from $150 to $300 -even at the highest rate, half that cost. Why ?.. because this week we earned $1K from external hire. No, the trick is not higher dues, our dues are already high enough (My Craft 1 is $350 per year, Craft 2 is $460 per year - neither includes dining cost of $20 and $35 per meeting), the trick is non-masonic income; even if you have to pay an external party to secure it for you.

Bloke

Premium Member
Interesting thoughts. So even though a group of Lodges might have a building and a Temple Association with its Board of Directors, they would still look to the Grand Lodge to have a say about how they run their affairs pertaining to their private property?
Indeed. But they do... and it often sends them broke and/or puts a burden on a GL to bail them out..

Bloke

Premium Member
I think he means find ways around the rules...not to break them

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app
Indeed.

More broadly, our obligations are not that prescriptive, but there are things in the charges like "Ancient usages and established customs" and while some might argue that does include sending our buildings broke, I would say not :p