My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposed Resolutions to be Considered at our Grand Annual Communication 2012

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the following provisions of the Laws of The Grand Lodge of Texas be amended as reflected, and a new Article 225c of the Laws of the Grand Lodge be added as follows, effective January 1, 2013:

““Article 225c. Any organization located in Texas which predicates its membership on Masonic membership, having Masonic purposes, and one or more Texas Masons as part of its membership or governance (other than a Lodge and other than those Masonic organizations described in Article 225) (“affiliatesâ€) shall adhere to the Masonic principles as set out in the Constitution and Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas.

Any new Texas Masonic organization which desires acceptance and recognition by the Grand Lodge of Texas under Article 225a (“new affiliateâ€)shall submit the information about its Masonic purposes, governance, expected financial support and structure on forms provided by the Grand Secretary. This information must be provided by the new affiliate to the Grand Secretary by June 30 of the year of its submission to the vote of the Grand Lodge of Texas in Grand Communication.
Any existing Texas organization which is accepted and recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas under Article 225a (“affiliateâ€) shall submit an annual report about its purposes, governance, structure and financial position on forms provided by the Grand Secretary. This report shall be due in the Grand Secretary’s office by June 30 of each year. Failure to submit the report shall subject

This has bad idea and over reaching authority written all over it.

chrmc

Thanks for sharing that is quite interesting. Could anyone elaborate on how the voting etc. works at Grand Lodge? And also especially how the outcomes are distributed? Assume they are mailed to the secretaries?
Lastly what is the easiest way to get an electronic copy of the GLoTX laws? (know a 2010 version was posted here recently, but would be good to get an updated one)

JJones

Easiest way I know of would be through your secretary, but I don't know if that's the fastest or cheapest way.

NickGarner

Premium Member
Hey, at least we might get to change the Grand Organist title to Grand Musician. :huh:

That has to count for something :001_rolleyes:

ess1113

Premium Member
Regarding Resolution 26:
What is the esoteric significance of the differing arrangements of the lesser lights? I may be more inclined to vote favorably if there was a reason for the arrangements.

ESS

ess1113

Premium Member
Grand lodge laws are available on CD and those include the changes. Id post them here but not sure if thats proper.

JJones

Regarding Resolution 26:
What is the esoteric significance of the differing arrangements of the lesser lights? I may be more inclined to vote favorably if there was a reason for the arrangements.

ESS

I'd be very interested in learning more about this one as well.

As far as over-reaching authority goes, I seem to recall there were a few proposed resolutions last year that could have been over reaching if they had been accepted as well. I've been a mason for several years but I've only really started paying attention to GL last year. Is this kind of thing the norm?

dhouseholder

So here are some footnotes I have gathered from the Proposed Resolutions. I am not a lawyer and I'm not all that smart, so if anyone gets a different take on any of these, please speak up.

1. Allows MWSAs to become 501c3 Non-Profits
2. Allows the GM to suspend a WM as opposed to only removing, also makes it a Masonic Violation to recognize and announce three protests against a candidate, and allows the GM to suspend a WM if he finds allegations meritous
3. Makes Masons convicted of a felony (and are expelled) are not eligible for reinstatement
4. Requires All Masonicly affiliated organizations must submit information about its Masonic purposes, governance, expected financial support and structure to GL annually
5. Makes the LG Finance Committes' report the first item of business on the last day of Grand Annual Communication as opposed to any other time on the last day
6. Makes changes to what an "edict" is. Basically an edict has no power until Grand Lodge votes on it
7. Changes the title of Grand Organist to Grand Musician
8. Suggests a few changes
...A. protests against a candidate can only be made before he is elected to receive the degrees, as opposed to any time before he is Raised
...B. protests must be submitted in writing to the WM as opposed to just orally
.......1. if the protestor is not a member of the lodge, the lodge can vote to accept or reject the protest
.......2. if the protestor is a member of the lodge, his protest will be read before the lodge and his vote will count as a blackball
...C. After a brother receives the EA degree, Masonic charges can be issued for misconduct
9. Exempts PM's from the mandatory L.I.F.E. training to be officers
10. Reduces the amount of money from Texas Mason's per capita goes to the Masonic Youth Foundation from $1.00 to $0.10 given that the MYF seldom informs Texas Masons of the status of the foundation and their disbursements AND this $.90 balance shall be given to the Directors of the GL Masonic Library and Museum and NOT the Trustees of GL
11. Changes disbursement dates of endowment earnings to lodges from June 23rd to June 30th saving man hours on calculation
12. Charges a $10 fee for Texas Masons to attend Grand Lodge
13. Makes it to where deceased Masons, living 50 year Masons, or Life Members of a lodge may purchase an endowment for $500
14. Requires dues to be refunded to suspended Masons as opposed to only upon request
15. Basically allows brothers who purchased Endowments to transfer them even after the 12 month period
16. Requires petitioners to pay for a criminal background check to be conducted by the lodge
17. Basically the same as Resolution 16
18. Also basically the same as Resolution 16
19. Removes the "moral turpitude" language from the petitions and adds "have you ever been charged with a Class A or B misdemeanor"
20. Requires Grand Secretary to respond to a lodge's request to buy property within 30 calendar days
21. Places a handicap ramp at the 8th street entrance of Grand Lodge
22. Changes some language to GL law pertaining to when the GM removes a lodge official
23. Recognizes the Ruffians Riding Club - open to Masons only
24. Makes it to where lodges cannot apply for a waiver of jurisdiction for rejected candidates from that rejected candidate's jurisdiction
25. Allows Texas Masons to belong to other Grand Jurisdictions even if they don't reside in that Grand Jurisdiction
26. Allows lodges to rearrange the Representatives of the Three Lesser Lights as per Lightfoot's Monitor from the 1930's as opposed to the current standard triangle on the south side of the altar

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I find it interesting that the Ruffians are being considered for recognition, when the Widow's Sons are forbidden.
Anyone know the politics behind that one?