My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions brothers ask and answer in public?

dalinkou

Premium Member
You sure that's the kind of thing you want to post on a public forum?
These are questions I’ve been asked in public settings…meaningless without context and missed by all except those who could respond. Kind of funny though. A new brother asks a question and oddly he gets something generic that he can use and we’re afraid some secret is revealed. Don’t worry, light is so well hidden that most lodges can’t find it.

Reginald/G\

It all depends on how serious the question and how the question was given. And look to see their position when asking the questions. I have been taught to be cautious. And if a person wants to go further. I simply say yours for mines. If they can't produce. I'm off this conversation.

Reginald/G\

I generally use "I see you're a travelin' man" because I think it is a nice, friendly way to greet someone new. It's not a real method of "trying" someone, nor does it need to be. I am not going to meet someone for the first time in Walmart, a restaurant, or a party and start discussing Masonic degree work with them.

For that matter, if I bump into one of the members of my own lodge in one of those settings, esoteric work isn't going to really be discussed, either.

There is a difference between recognizing someone as a Mason and trying someone.
I agree. There is a difference when someone is just greeting. "Cautious" will let you know when someone is off are from. But when someone wants to search. I say yours for mines. If they can't produce then I'm off the conversation. But I see nothing wrong with just greeting another brother.

Reginald/G\

There was a person who wore the emblem and was very loud and signaling sings in a store. He was asking me where you at. Where you at. due to I wore my emblem. So I just looked did not respond turned and walked away. We have that right to not respond if a person conduct their selves in this manner. He was not concealed. I am very proud to be a mason. I know when and where and who to share light with. We must be "CAUTIOUS" at all times. Meet and greet is cool. But if ya wanna get to the next level produce what you have that proves you are who you say you are. Then we can talk.

Winter

Premium Member
There was a person who wore the emblem and was very loud and signaling sings in a store. He was asking me where you at. Where you at. due to I wore my emblem. So I just looked did not respond turned and walked away. We have that right to not respond if a person conduct their selves in this manner. He was not concealed. I am very proud to be a mason. I know when and where and who to share light with. We must be "CAUTIOUS" at all times. Meet and greet is cool. But if ya wanna get to the next level produce what you have that proves you are who you say you are. Then we can talk.
I guessing that you are a Prince Hall Brother? They usually have a much more elaborate question and answer for meeting in public than we see outside PHA.

Winter

Premium Member
I am. But not all of us conduct our selves in a manner that would conflict our obligation.
I agree. I was just commenting that if a PHA Brother met a non PHA there might be more than a little headsctatching at some of the questions asked because of the streams we come from.

Reginald/G\

Gotcha. It's crazy. U will know who is serious about who they are versus those who just wanna b seen as if they are. I'm proud of who I am. And I conceal at every cautious.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It all depends on how serious the question and how the question was given. And look to see their position when asking the questions. I have been taught to be cautious. And if a person wants to go further. I simply say yours for mines. If they can't produce. I'm off this conversation.
Do you mean my dues card for your dues card?

MarkR

Premium Member
One shouldn’t be surprised if they get a laugh unless requesting to see a dues card when being examined to sit in lodge, particularly if asking a senior mason to prove his status outside of lodge.
Exactly. Unless I'm seeking admission to your lodge, with no one to vouch for me, I don't have to prove anything to anybody.

The times I've visited Scotland (which my studies leads me to believe is the birthplace of Freemasonry) and worn a cap with a square and compass, the only thing I was ever asked on the street, and in a friendly, curious, non-challenging manner, was "what's your mother lodge."