My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions brothers ask and answer in public?

Bloke

Premium Member
So you should use the grips when meeting any man of mature age in hopes of recognition?
While many do, I don't. However, I will often wear a S&Q when at functions, that's the tool I use, and unless admitting someone to a lodge, or talking the specifics of degrees, there is no real reason to prove a man a Fremason.

I also find, the following- every heard of "gay-dar" which refers to the ability of one person to pick another as gay ? I have "free-dar" where I often sense someone is a brother... but I dont use a grip, I tend to throw in some words if I want to probe, or, simply ask.. My proposer was a master of this, he'd meet a guy and suddenly they'd be talking Lodge, really without anything especially happening, I'm not that good at it yet, but working on it :)

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
While many do, I don't. However, I will often wear a S&Q when at functions, that's the tool I use, and unless admitting someone to a lodge, or talking the specifics of degrees, there is no real reason to prove a man a Fremason.

I also find, the following- every heard of "gay-dar" which refers to the ability of one person to pick another as gay ? I have "free-dar" where I often sense someone is a brother... but I dont use a grip, I tend to throw in some words if I want to probe, or, simply ask.. My proposer was a master of this, he'd meet a guy and suddenly they'd be talking Lodge, really without anything especially happening, I'm not that good at it yet, but working on it :)
we tend to use words in every day language that would be considered archaic and unnecessary. It isn't a code by any means, but it is a good indicator of who you may be talking with.

David612

I think the reason I take issue with using grips publicly is that essentially it’s unnecessarily putting something you where entrusted to keep secret at risk either from the possible brother who may be a Cowan or onlookers but there is nothing to be gained from establishing this persons standing beyond a moment of fellowship, hence it should be reserved for the lodge where it can be private and the visitor put through the usual Masonic test, not just a grip from anyone.
Remember we needed to take an obligation to get the grip, why would you do it to just anyone who says they are a mason, especially given the number of clandestine orders the world over..

Bloke

Premium Member
we tend to use words in every day language that would be considered archaic and unnecessary. It isn't a code by any means, but it is a good indicator of who you may be talking with.
Mind you, my GF told me something was "equidistant" last year.... now that got my attention LOL.... and she does say I "err" a lot.... OMG ! That fits, because I often think she's being irregular !!!!! IT ALL FITS NOW !!!!!! :D

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Mind you, my GF told me something was "equidistant" last year.... now that got my attention LOL.... and she does say I "err" a lot.... OMG ! That fits, because I often think she's being irregular !!!!! IT ALL FITS NOW !!!!!! :D
***snicker snicker***

Axeman

it’s unnecessarily putting something you where entrusted to keep secret at risk either from the possible brother who may be a Cowan or onlookers

Is this mason stuff really still as kept secret as it used to be? I mean my mum was dating this guy who was in no way quiet about his books he has to learn and his other masons, he made no effort to keep his voice down when my friend and i were walking upstairs into my mothers where we then listened to him telling the whole house where my aunt and sister were also present about how he was stuck in traffic on the way to the city and his fellow brother was shouting out to him hello brother 'name' and he's returning the greeting by calling him brother followed by the guys name, it was actually through his big mouth that i learned my late uncle was a mason too but unlike this lodge he kept it secret. Funny thing is i have that conversation on video as my friend was filming for kicks that day. But the times i heard him talking of masons and when they would go to a bar on wk.end trips it would appear he'd waste no time in his attempts at striking conversations and handshakes with Barmen and customers. And i'd also hear of higher masons freely telling youngsters about Freemason history, beliefs and things, I just wondered if it's losing it's traditions or if it's just the odd mason here and there. I'm just only lately interested in Freemasonry as my friends fathers are all involved and some of the things they told me of the buildings and expertly made halls and rooms etc their dads have been in sounded amazing, my father has built half of the city over the years but sadly he doesn't seem involved.

Keith C

Is this mason stuff really still as kept secret as it used to be?

The things you describe, acknowledging others as Masons, saying that you are a Mason, discussing the history, precepts or benefits of Freemasonry, are not the "Mason Stuff" that we keep secret. None of what you describe is out of line or ever was. Perhaps in the 19th Century when the Anti-Masons were a big movement, one wouldn't discuss such things for fear of stigmatization, but it was never "unmasonic" to discuss such.

The secrets we keep are mostly how to officially "prove" you are a Mason. As others have said, unless you are seeking to be admitted into a Lodge meeting, there is no need to "prove" yourself.

Oh, and there is no such thing as "Higher Masons," we all meet on the level.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The things you describe, acknowledging others as Masons, saying that you are a Mason, discussing the history, precepts or benefits of Freemasonry, are not the "Mason Stuff" that we keep secret.
Exactly.
The secrets we keep are mostly how to officially "prove" you are a Mason. As others have said, unless you are seeking to be admitted into a Lodge meeting, there is no need to "prove" yourself.
Yep.
Lol....as soon as I hear someone refer to "high ranking Masons" I know that what they are saying is BS.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I was right with you until the addendum.

The issue is whether we meet on the level as to our Masonic position.

A Master has certain powers when acting in office, varying by jurisdiction. For instance, in my mother jurisdiction, a Master's ruling cannot be appealed. In most, he governs the lodge when it is at work. In many, he can rap a person down. In some, stop the meetings and conduct a disciplinary process for acts in the lodge.

If you have served as Master in the US, I suspect you assented to the ancient charges (in the language of that time), including the "homage" due a Grand Master and his officers for the time being, and "veneration" of the successors of the original rulers. You may have assented to the Ancient Charges. Those indidicate in the language of that century the "reverence" due a Master and wardens.

It is typical in English speaking jurisdictions to have a charge to the brethren at the installation/investiture: " brethren, such is the nature of our institution that as some must of necessity rule and teach, so others must learn to submit and obey."

Importantly, it continues: "Humility in each is an essential duty."

It is common that Masonic lodges are constructed so that officers sit above others during the meeting. That, of course,, means they are physically not on the level. You will agree that in Masonry, our ritual is symbolic. There is symbolic meaning to this physical placement during the meeting.

End of quibble.