My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions regarding membership.

Ben Rodriguez

Hello brethren,

It has been a long time since I logged on here, took me at least 3 attempts to recover my password!

I have a question, I would like to look into dropping my current membership at my mother lodge and switching to a lodge closer to my current place of residence, what is the best way to go about doing so? I don't want to drop out of
Freemasonry, simply switch lodges.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks y'all.

LukeD

Whatever you do, don't demit from your lodge and then try to join another one that is closer. I would petition for dual membership first, then decide afterwards if you want to stay or leave your mother lodge. I'm sure someone on here will have a more technical and in-depth answer, but that those were my first thoughts.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If we're talking about GLoTX Lodges, you can transfer your membership by way of a Certificate of Good Standing. If the new Lodge for some reason declines to accept you, you will still be a member of your old Lodge.

Ben Rodriguez

So what is the best way to assure acceptance at the new lodge and what are the fees associated with the membership transfer? Thanks!

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Request a Certificate of Good Standing from your Secretary at your home lodge. Then petition your new lodge for "Afiliation by Certificate of Good Standing" (I think that's the term).

You'll have to pay the dues (probably pro-rated) for your new lodge.

You should visit your prospective new lodge a few times before you petition and get to know the brethren so they'll know who you are when they vote.

Last edited: