My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding PHA members

dfreybur

Premium Member
I've recently met a Prince Hall Mason and he had no idea of any password, word for a grip, signs, or due guards. However, I was sure that he was definitely legit. But anyways, I know that the teachings of PHA are slightly different, and what I am wondering is if Prince Hall Masons have such signs and due guards. Anybody know?

Fellowcraft from Metamora/Hadley Lodge No. 210 of the GL of MI

The words are identical in every jurisdiction I have visited including more than one PHA jurisdiction. The grips are as identical as the teaching brothers can make them. The due guards and signs vary a bit in details of position and order by jurisdiction but they are always close enough to be clear and obvious what they are. I am now in the process of learning a third set of details in my third jurisdiction - I would have to do them in front of you and I might have to point out the differences for them to be noticeable to you.

Either the brother has not been to lodge in so long he's forgotten or he's not sure how to handle recognition issues. I'm guessing the latter of those two. Before exchanging any of those we have to check each others' dues card, make sure neither is a member of a clandestine lodge and so on. He might not know what formalities to check or he might not be current on recognition or he might not be sure his GL is the one on the recognition lists. Simpler still he may be an EA taught to stay cautiously silent until he has learned more.

dew_time

The words are identical in every jurisdiction I have visited including more than one PHA jurisdiction. The grips are as identical as the teaching brothers can make them. The due guards and signs vary a bit in details of position and order by jurisdiction but they are always close enough to be clear and obvious what they are. I am now in the process of learning a third set of details in my third jurisdiction - I would have to do them in front of you and I might have to point out the differences for them to be noticeable to you.

Either the brother has not been to lodge in so long he's forgotten or he's not sure how to handle recognition issues. I'm guessing the latter of those two. Before exchanging any of those we have to check each others' dues card, make sure neither is a member of a clandestine lodge and so on. He might not know what formalities to check or he might not be current on recognition or he might not be sure his GL is the one on the recognition lists. Simpler still he may be an EA taught to stay cautiously silent until he has learned more.

He may be just posing as a mason...

Freemason Connect Mobile

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
Or, brethren, how about since you weren't a master mason, perhaps he chose to divest himself from any masonic conversaton whatesoever??..............no discussion about grips, passwords, or anything, because he realized you were not yet a master mason?! That's a possibility..............congratulations to the young brother above who has been recently raised........you should not have even approached another mason as an ea or fc..............

Bro jkc84, i issued some advice to you in a previous post about entering posts on this forum, and speaking with other masons prior to you receiving your mm degree..........i wasn't trying to be condescending, just wanted you to learn a little more before conversing with more well informed brethren..........the fact that you aren't aware of the proper style and distinction between "mainstream" and "pha" lodges tells me that you need a little more education........i am simply giving you advice and a little admonishment in the most brotherly and respectful manner possible...........the term "blue lodges" is simply a nickname for symbolic lodges. Both mainstream and pha brethren refer to the symbolic lodge as the blue lodge or "blue house".

There is no separate style/title of degree work, and no separate lodge denomination regarding the symbolic lodge and its degree work. Meeting you as a fc, i am not obligated to give you anything but a handshake, out of respect for the fact that you have not completed your journey. Brothers may sometimes engage in simple conversation with you "on the level", and once pleasantries are exchanged, the mm brother should refrain from any further masonic discussion. It's not that you have the plague, my brother; it's simply out of respect for those who are educating you in your home lodge. You should have been taught from the beginning to limit your masonic conversation to those within your lodge, so that there is never any confusion or mis-information given to you while traveling up the winding staircase.

Please consider my advice, and refrain from any further masonic conversation until raised.......you don't have much longer......focus on your studies, and we will definitely continue to support you, and want to know when that special day comes..............if you should ever have any questions regarding prince hall masonry, feel free to ask one of us here on the forum, so you can receive the proper information for anything you wish to know.................take care................

Bro. Vincent c. Jones, sr., bayou city lodge #228
prince hall affiliation, free and accepted masonry
most worshipful prince hall grand lodge of texas

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I've recently met a Prince Hall Mason and he had no idea of any password, word for a grip, signs, or due guards. However, I was sure that he was definitely legit. But anyways, I know that the teachings of PHA are slightly different, and what I am wondering is if Prince Hall Masons have such signs and due guards. Anybody know?

Fellowcraft from Metamora/Hadley Lodge No. 210 of the GL of MI

I would not consider him a Brother. If any Brother knows how to defend the light, it would be a legitimate PH Brother.

Spawny

I personally don't do grips in public, because someone may grip back the same as an accident. I simply ask where they hail from, and return mines back. If you want to talk in public ill give my card for yours to start. Internet tells all the signs grip and due guards. Show me your card. Just my opinion, don't take it personal, also some people just don't want to talk in the moment.

Freemason Connect Mobile

tldubb

Premium Member
Willing to be tried never denied and willing to be tried again..simply mine for yours!

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
Willing to be tried never denied and willing to be tried again..simply mine for yours!

There are ways to try a man on his Masonic membership without checking dues cards or exchanging modes of recognition. Just chat about what you've been doing at lodge. A cowan may have a fake dues card and may have learned the modes of recognition from an expose' book but there's no substitute for the simple reality of going to lodge events, complaining about what we complain about, praising what we praise, lamenting that we haven't been to lodge in X years and worrying about be rusty, you name it. A brother or cowan becomes obvious within a minute of chatting. Just switch to the weather or sports of whatever once you're sure. You'll be sure very early on.

tldubb

Premium Member
Well in our Jurisdiction there is specific ways as per our Masonic protocol and constitution. I would find it inappropriate to discuss to a strange Brother( behavior towards a strange brother ) working/communication of my lodge. In our jurisdiction. Our constitution charges and bylaws tells us how to react if we find a brother wanting and how to ask him to relieve it such. I have not come across people willing to forge dues cards and traveling papers and I've been around for awhile. I'm retired law enforcement . I believe any worthy brother is by right an investigator in search of truth and I've have yet to run across fraudulent traveling papers. But there is always a first. Proud to be a Prince Hall Mason!

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
A few years back an inmate in the Texas prison system made a very good forgery of a dues card and used it a few times after making parole. He eventually got caught, though.

perryel

I am PHA...it's possible that the person you met did not engage you in Masonic Discourse because you were not yet raised to the sublime degree of MM...

Freemason Connect Mobile

Nat Geo 357

Can someone explain to me why PHA does not offer or support dual membership? Behold how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity. That is one of the first things we learn when we start our Masonic Journey.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Nat Geo 357

Let me rephrase that, some states will make you demint if you seek dual membership. The word demint is an enigma in the Masonic Family in my humble opinion.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Nat Geo 357

Another question I have been blessed to travel around the world and attend several Lodges and see many ceremonies. Who has the right or the knowledge to declare someone clandestine? Mason the measure of the man. /G\ Once the simple question is asked. Are you off or from? that normally ends all rhetoric. I have a very good friend who took the so called normal and recognized path. Then he was sent overseas and went to another body that some would consider clandestine. But the funny thing is his Masonic knowledge bloomed and progressed to great levels. So that's when I asked the question is the word Clandestine just a another way to promote Masonic Racism? In reality I have text from the late 1800s and early 1900s stating PHA as Clandestine. So with that being said who really has the power or knowledge to put that term on a Masonic body.? One thing I have learned in my journey through life is that successful people and groups never wait for someone to give them the right to exist and grow.

Freemason Connect Mobile