My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regularity of Degree Teams

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I could PM Bill Lins on this, but thought I would ask it out in the open. As this forum is dealing with another question regarding Masonic MC/RC membership, Grand Lodge law regarding organizations that predicate themselves on Masonic membership is clear that they have to have recognition from Grand Lodge.

With that being stated, do Degree Teams that are formal (Sons of Hiram, etc) need to request recognition, or are they exempt? They do require that a man be a Master Mason to be a member, and regularly meet to conduct practices.

So am I nuts, or are these teams, meeting the definition of Article 225a? I might be reading too much into this, but thought I would ask.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

chrmc

I think Grand Lodge law is pretty clear on that. We can of course discuss if some groups have been getting preferential treatment, but as far as I read GL law, and their approach if you predicate membership on being a mason, you better get sanction or you are doing clandestine work.

scialytic

Premium Member
I was wondering the same thing about the Masonic Society...are they on the list? Do they need to be?

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
I thought Sons of Hiram was a Shrine degree team composed just to do MM degrees?

I also think organizations composed of or requiring MM as a condition of membership have to sign something like a sovereignty agreement with the Grand Master in which they acknowledge the Grand Master as the sovereign authority plus I think the group/org has to be voted for recognition diuring Grand Lodge session. I may be wrong, but it seems I've heard that somewhere in my wanderings.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
do Degree Teams that are formal (Sons of Hiram, etc) need to request recognition, or are they exempt? They do require that a man be a Master Mason to be a member, and regularly meet to conduct practices.

As I'm not familiar with any "formal" degree teams or how they operate, I really couldn't tell you. That sounds like a question for the Committee on Work and/or the Committee on Masonic Jurisprudence.

tomasball

Premium Member
I gather by "sons of hiram" you mean the organization within Alzafar Shrine. Since the Shrine is recognized, their sub-organizations are too. As for the "Masonic Society," they are not on the list, and I gather you have to be a mason to join, so I can't see any way it's really kosher to belong to them. Curiously, members of the Committee on Fraternal Relations DO belong to it, as well as other groups that would seem to violate the statute, like the Grand College of Rites, the Rectified Scottish Rite, the Masonic Restoration Foundation, etc, etc.

scialytic

Premium Member
I guess it boils down to the definition of "organization." Do they have a Charter, By-Laws, Corporate Officers? It is pretty open to interpretation (like all "great" laws), so I would imagine that whomever is the decision-maker is would have the ultimate say. Another interesting thought is that it would probably have to be brought up to even be reviewed. I guess you're technically safe unless it becomes known to you as not being on the list.

I do think that the list that is posted in the Secretary's office should be available online. It is pretty unreasonable to require a Mason from El Paso to travel to Waco just to see if a seemingly normal Masonic educational society or group that is attended by known-Brethren (as regular) has been approved over the previous hundred some years. It should actually be posted in the Grand Lodge law book, in my opinion...but it may be a pretty large list for all I know.

The Masonic Society
Art. 225a reads: "In addition to to those organizations recognized in Art. 225, next above, as being entitled to use Lodgerooms and Anterooms of Subordinate Lodges, the Grand Lodge of Texas may recognize and authorize other organizations which predicate membership on masonic membership."

The Masonic Society asks if you are a Mason, but you can be a non-Mason and join (I'm pretty sure), but you don't get all of the access that a Mason gets. It is also not organized in Texas and to my knowledge doesn't meet (in a Masonic sense, I believe that there is an annual dinner and a quarterly publication by Brother Hodapp). I'm thinking it is safe, but maybe I'll send an email in case it ends up being a serious question. I'd hate to not be able to get their journal...

scialytic

Premium Member
I just received this email response from Brother Bo, President of The Masonic Society:

"Brother Graham,

The Masonic Society is an International Research Society that publishes a quarterly journal. We are not a Masonic lodge, order, conclave, or encampment, nor do we claim Masonic authority over any Masonic body. Simply stated, we are a subscription based organization that is open to anyone, however we limit access to our internet forum to regular Master Masons only to keep out anti-Masons and the merely curious. In addition to access to The Masonic Society member forum and quarterly issues of the Journal, those who qualify as full members are entitled to a commemorative lapel pin, patent, and membership card."

So the purpose of determining whether the person is a Master Mason is to keep the forums clear of anti-Masonic harassment. Looks like it is clear of requirements of Art. 225a to me. Thanks for (inadvertently) persuading me to verify that. I feel much better now...

MarkR

Premium Member
I am the Masonic Society's "Second Circle" chair for Minnesota. Just to make sure, I submitted a resolution for recognition at Grand Lodge last spring and it was passed. If anybody wants a copy of the resolution to use, let me know.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Sorry to be late, but we cleared this up a while ago. If the members of the Masonic Society want to have a chapter in Texas, than it would have to go to Grand Lodge for vote. The Philalethes Society (who have ths same rules as Masonic Society) had a Texas Chapter that met regularly but was banned in 2005, while "Texas Masons cannot" be a member of it, the loophole is that as long as they are not organized body of any kind, and a magazine publication, than it is sort of looked away.

Even though The Philalethes Society is on its last leg, and is about dead as a Masonic Research society, but that is a whole different thread.

:)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I am the Masonic Society's "Second Circle" chair for Minnesota. Just to make sure, I submitted a resolution for recognition at Grand Lodge last spring and it was passed. If anybody wants a copy of the resolution to use, let me know.

Maybe one day, but right now the politicking and pre-coordination in getting the Second Circle started just seems too daunting. GLoTX is pretty hard nosed compared to a lot of jurisdictions, (won't pass most resolutions unless having the blessing of key members, etc). The work involved and the lack of any stature in the state makes it so I really don't want to go down that road. The bigger concern is if someone puts it up, it gets knocked down, then we won't be allowed some how to be members of the Masonic Society.

Besides, we have enough problems getting men interested in TLR, and being active, I don't think that Texas needs another research body.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I gather by "sons of hiram" you mean the organization within Alzafar Shrine. Since the Shrine is recognized, their sub-organizations are too.

That makes sense regarding the sons of hiram, but we have a district degree team available to help lodges with the work. They wear those Wal-Mart greeters vests when they go to lodge, is there guidance that districts are allowed degree teams?

Just curious, as the whole MC discussions brought this to mind.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

scialytic

Premium Member
Sorry to be late, but we cleared this up a while ago.

:)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Actually it was perfect timing! It made me look for an answer and to also defend it. So now if anybody hassles me about being a member, I'll be able to bring my "A-Game"...

tomasball

Premium Member
So The Masonic Society predicates its "full membership" on being a mason, and they issue membership cards and patents. Sounds like they qualify to me.

Mac

Premium Member
Is there a reason we can't just submit a resolution with all of these "regular" groups to be recognized? I remember previously someone mentioned the Blue Friars not being recognized either. Can we just make these legal and make this conversation unnecessary?

scialytic

Premium Member
I'm also a member of an organization that posts articles as part of a mailing list. You have to he a Master Mason to be on the mailing list. Should we recommend they be recognized? Or are they just verifying their audience using that method?

Giving out a "dues card", lapel pin and a poster as part of you paying into the group is hardly the same as a masonic organization. Those are called "gimmicks" so people feel like they get something more from their money than a 50-page magazine and an online forum for Masons.

I was leaning with you until he explained the vetting for the forum. But hey, subscription to the journal is the same price and I don't use their forum, so I guess I'll have to mail back my poster with the wax insignia...<sniffle sniffle> ...thanks a lot Brother Ball.