My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resolutions 2012

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There was another guy that worked with my father that was from down in Wharton and worked for the LCRA as a Ranger. I can't remember if he worked in Wharton before getting on with LCRA, or if the LCRA had him down in that area working. His name is Mike Moreno. Ring a bell at all?

I've known Mike & his family since he was a kid- good guy. Didn't know your dad, though. Sorry to hear he's disabled.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Yes each lodge has the ability to waive any brothers DUES. But in turn still owes the GLOT its annual returns which are now $25 per member not counting 50 year members etc etc.

Our Lodge has a Brother on active duty in the sandbox right now & we voted awhile back to exempt him from dues as long as he's in the war zone. Never heard of GL exempting the per capita for active military, though.

Beathard

Premium Member
The Grand Lodge Treasurer said it was already done. Do we have a secretary on the forum that could verify with grand lodge? I have two more meetings this week where I can attempt to get it passed. Problem is the Grand Lodge Treasurer will be at both. If he is correct I will look like an idiot. If he isn't I need facts.

Beathard

Premium Member
He said it has been an understood practice since WW2. Said it did not need to be in the law book. Said secretaries know about it. I've been a member for 21 years and I've never heard of it but Texas does a lot of traditional none codified stuff. That's why I was asking here.

TX_Traveler

Brothers, you can review the proceedings of the GLOT in the 40's and other War Times and you will find that the GLOT has made it a practice to either pay or waive dues for deployed Brethren. I personally gain much pleasure and insight by reading the old proceedings. We are lucky enough at our lodge to have the proceedings from 1880 - present and as one reads these historical gems, it becomes very clear that what is going on today has happened before and that everything happens in cycles. If you ever get a chance to read these books, do. I read one each time I'm at lodge waiting for candidates to train and really enjoy it.

Beathard

Premium Member
I just talked to the jurisprudence secretary at the GLoT. It was done in WW2, but has not been done since. I will present it at lodge on Friday and Monday (2 different lodges) in an attempt to get it through. Also thought I would add another that says any brother suspended due to nonpayment during his service during wartime could be reactivated by the secretary.

Any PMs out there that could submit this with a lodges approval? I will write it up...

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
OK- I emailed the Grand Secretary & this is his answer:

"Dear Bill, What you have been told is not true. The Lodge may waive his dues but they are still required to pay his per capita to the Grand Lodge. Tom Guest"

The following is my suggestion as to the easiest way to change the Law, and any Brother who so chooses is more than welcome to use it, either as written or modified as he may see fit. The changes are in italics:

"Art. 316. Exemptions: Members in Texas Masonic Retirement Center, in the military on active duty in a combat zone, and 50 Year Service Awardees.

Every member admitted to the Texas Masonic Retirement Center maintained by the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas, so long as he is a beneficiary of said Home, every Brother who is a member of our armed forces on active duty and is deployed to a combat zone, and every member entitled to a Fifty Year Masonic Service Award under Art. 14 shall be exempt from Lodge dues. Should the Brother be a member of more than one Lodge in this Grand Jurisdiction, he shall be exempt in all Lodges. The Lodge or Lodges shall deduct all Grand Lodge Per Capita contributions on account of such members from its Annual Returns, using a certificate furnished by the Grand Secretary to show the current status of each such member."

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Also thought I would add another that says any brother suspended due to nonpayment during his service during wartime could be reactivated by the secretary.

If the Lodge votes to exempt the Brother from dues I'm not sure this clause would be needed. I wrote the law change above to make the exemption from dues automatic, but some may prefer to make it dependent upon action of the Lodge. YMMV

Beathard

Premium Member
Our WM agreed to let me present it. Will do Monday. I found the 40s info in old communications in the lodge library.

owls84

Premium Member
Amazing Job guys. I loved sitting back and watching the Brethren get this hammered out and the brainstorming taking place. I am anxious to see the results of the final submitted resolution.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Amazing Job guys. I loved sitting back and watching the Brethren get this hammered out and the brainstorming taking place. I am anxious to see the results of the final submitted resolution.

Yes, truly amazing!! Just one more reason it makes me proud to be part of this organization. Also, I love the quote in your signature block, owls! hahah

owls84

Premium Member
It's what you do best! You coulda jumped in there any time, ya know!

If I answered I would have had the thread answered by post #5. Sometimes you need to let the kid touch the hot plate so he can learn how hot it is. Plus I would have never got to see your sweet, sweet words of wisdom.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I must say that as an observer on this thread it amazes me and also lets me know I am in the company of good men on here. The way everyone worked together and came up with not only an answer but a resolution is outstanding. I hope it is passed by th GLoT even though it has no impact on me in Oklahoma.