My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reunion question

Hndrx

Premium Member
I'm considering petitioning the Scottish Rite and going to the Houston reunion in September. However, I've got a question about degrees. Would all of my degrees from 4th to 32nd be done at that one reunion?

Nate Riley

Premium Member
There are certain degrees that are critical/required and all of those will be conferred (where you actually see the degree presented). The remaining degrees will either be communicated (taught) in a class room or conferred, but the majority ofthem will be taught in a classroom. You won't see all 28 degrees presented (conferred). I just attended a reunion in Houston this past summer and they mentioned that actually seeing all of the degrees is a challenge that would require considerable time and travel.

Hndrx

Premium Member
What degrees are typically done? Do most folks just do one reunion?

In other words, are all the "required" degrees done in just one weekend? ie., you go in a master mason and come out a 32nd? I'm a little confused about the process.

Last edited:

Jacob Johnson

The "terminal" degrees are required: those are the 4th, 14th, 18th, 30th and 32nd (IIRC). You will walk in a MM and walk out a 32nd, unless they do all the degrees over 2 or 3 weekends. When I received the 32nd, I went for 2 full days of degree work. The first day I walked out a 18th degree, the second day they brought us all the way up to the 32nd.

That said, you can go for one reunion and call it good, pay your dues and show up for the odd stated or something, but that's not the way to get the most out of it. The way I did it, I jumped into the Master Craftsman program and started showing up for as much as I could. I plan on attending at least one reunion per year JUST to see the degrees again.

I hope that's helpful!

Nate Riley

Premium Member
As with most things in Masonry, it will all make better sense after you have done it.

At the September Reunion you will see the 4th, 6th, 14th, 18th, 21st, 22nd, 25th, 29th, 30th and 32nd. You will walk out on the second day a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason. I think it is fair to say the majority of SR Masons probably only go to one reunion. Clearly, those who are involved will work in the degrees or at the Reunions in a supportive role, so most of those will see more degrees.

At the June Reunion, I think we only saw the terminal degrees that Jacob listed above. I am going to make an effort to see all of the degrees before I die. So, I am going to try to go to reunions that include degrees that I have not seen. Based on the disscussion in our classroom time, some of the degrees are a bit rare. If the creek don't rise, I am going to be at the September Reunion in Houston to see the additional degrees that will be conferred at that reunion.

When you look at the schedule that is posted on the Houston SR website you will see that some of the degrees will be communicated. Those are the ones that will be taught in a class. I very much enjoyed the class room time. Pete Normand (with the help of a few others) led the classroom time and he is very enjoyable to listen to, not to mention very knowledgeable.

Like Jacob mentioned, the Master Craftsman program, is a self study program that goes through the degrees. I ordered it right after the June Reunion and it has been very enlightening so far (I have only done the first lesson).

Txmason

@Nate Riley

Bro. Riley,

I am Bro. Jerry from San Jacinto Lodge in Willis, TX and I have filled out the petition for the degrees of Scottish Rite in Houston. How much are dues? Are they yearly? Monthly?

Do you have to join SR before you join the Shrine? What makes SR different then the Shrine? Or can I just join the Shrine?

I do professional photography, can I utilize my photography in the SR?

Also, do I need to attend a SR club meeting? There is a club in Livingston about an hour away.

Is there anything else I need to know? I just want to make sure I am doing everything right and making a good decision.

Best,

Bro. Jerry

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I think the SR Houston dues are about a $100 a year. You don't have to join the SR before joining the Shrine. Nowadays the requirement for joining the Shrine is being a Master Mason, don't have to join the YR or SR anymore (like you did in the years past).

Regarding the difference between the Scottish Rite and Shrine, they are entirely different. The Scottish Rite (like the York Rite) is additional Masonic light, meaning they are more degrees. The Shrine is primarily about having fun. As you probably know raising money for the hospitals is a big part of it, too.

I could not recommend one over the other without knowing your personal interests. I really enjoy both. If you enjoy the study of Masonic principles and esoteric work the you will probably like the Scottish Rite. If you want to lighted things up a bit and enjoy fellowship with brothers outside of the lodge, then you would probably like the Shrine. The Shrine throws some really good "shin digs". Also if you look at the Arabia Shrine website, look through the "Units", which are geared toward the particular interests of its members (golf, hunting/fishing, motorcycles, flying, etc.). They also have local clubs and I am pretty sure there is one in Willis.

You don't have to join a SR Club or attend their meetings. Since is only an hour to Houston (and an hour to Livingston) you might prefer to attend the regular SR meetings in Houston.

Either organization could probably use your skills as a photographer!

Txmason

@ Nate Riley

Bro. Riley,

I am looking for a way to be a part of something special that I can use my photography with and make a difference. I'd like to be able to take photos and maybe mentor others like at Shriners Hospital.

Plus the Shrine meeting is much closer:). Are you active in the Shrine?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Jerry

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I was active until I moved to Florida. Just getting settled into Masonic activities over here. It's a great organization. I enjoy having fun. Go on a hospital visit and you will be impressed.

The SR has a hospital too, in Dallas.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I would like all three of you brothers to look me up in the wardrobe room during the degrees. I'd personally like to meet you. Also, any questions you have can be answered by going to the Houston Scottish Rite website. Look up Reunion and you should see the degrees we'll be putting on. There is also a link for petitions and fees.

TxMason, give me a call.