My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ribs

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I've been doing baby backs some during the Spring and I'm wondering if there are some masters out there with wisdom to impart.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain for my cooks, lump mesquite charcoal, and I can consistently get them cooked to fall off the bone and get raves. Pretty well autopilot.

I'm wondering what I do to make em better. They are still a bit greasy for my taste, even cooked to a desirable texture and flavor. Not much to trim, the membrane I guess but haven't done that.

They make higher grades of ribs maybe? Haven't tried a proper butcher shop, been using Sam's.

And rubs - anyone got a good one to impart? Mine is basically coat with mustard and a mix of onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper, and the like.

Interested in how folks do em - thanks in advance!

CuAllaidh

The rub makes all the difference, a nice dry rub (don't use bbq sauce at all until the very end) if you like spicy try a nice mixture of smoked paprika, thyme, oregano, and ancho chili powder, coat heavily then do a second coat of just brown sugar (will carmalize nicely and keep the juices in). Once its just about done you can add bbq sauce and flame kiss it to punch it up, or you can leave it dry, I prefer dry, its less messy and you get more of the meat flavour. If you want something a little milder use cocoa as the main ingredient in the spice with about half as much paprika, a touch of a nice sea salt (don't use table salt), again cover the meat and rub it in good then add a layer of brown sugar. I got a bunch others too... I sell my rubs at a local farmers market when I get up early enough to make it on Saturdays ;)

The chocolate one sounds odd, I know, but it works really well on ribs. Deep rich flavours that compliment the meat so nicely... I am normally a chili head and the spicy the better but I love my chocolate rub :D I'll have to dig up the actual recipes to put the proportions correctly (and see if I forgot any ingredients)