My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep Apnea issues

jhale1158

Haven't been able to sleep very well for a while now. Have issues handling something that happened to me earlier this year, that I survived. I had a friend killed in Iraq the same way. Maybe survivors guilt, but anyway.

Anybody have a recommendation of a non-medication way for me to start sleeping better? My wife is having trouble the last day or two so maybe it's the bed?

Any suggestions are appreciated:eek:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
A CPAP machine did wonders for me. You might consider having a sleep study done.

widows son

Premium Member
I'm no expert, so I'd visit a doctor, but I don't think you should feel guilty brother, you both were doing your duty protecting those who can't protect themselves.

Txmason

Bro. Hale,

I'd recommend a sleep study be done. If you need recommendations I can get you some for a place to go. Usually your doctor can recommend a place to have a sleep study. Typically you make an appointment and then go and have the study done. It literally saved my life. I wear a Cpap machine which stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. Of would be more than happy to take to you about it if you would like. Just send me a private message and I will even call you.

K.S.

I too had a sleep study done, and I wear a CPAP machine every night. It too saved my life! -Get it checked out.

Txmason

@KS

I too have a cpap machine with the pillows for my nose instead of a full face mask. What do you use and recommend?

Bro. Jerry

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
A couple of questions: (1) Does your wife complain about loud snoring? (2) Has she noticed that it seems like you stop breathing for short periods? (3) Do you feel drowsy when sitting in meetings or driving?These are two classic symptoms of sleep apnea. I have been going to Georgetown Sleep Center. They have helped me immensely.

Newwardorder

I'll echo the calls for you to get a sleep study, my brother. When I fell asleep at a Sonic waiting for an order, that was a wake up call for me. I firmly believe getting a CPAP saved my life. Even if your sleep issues stem from another cause, a sleep study can rule out apnea and help diagnose other issues.

scialytic

Premium Member
Sleep study...get one scheduled Brother! CPAP is probably what will happen. There is also a surgical procedure where they cook the back of your throat to tighten up the fleshy fatty tissue that could be the cause (sleep study and a visit with an ENT (ear nose throat doctor). He said that the recovery was horribly painful, but he's much happier now.

Good luck Brother!

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Does this primarily affect those who are overweight? Just wondering because I never had sleeping issues until I was 20 pounds over my ideal weight.

Mac

Premium Member
Sleep apnea's definitely prominent in the overweight. As far as non-prescription stuff to help with sleep, if it's anxiety and not apnea, you might consider buying some melatonin. Benadryl only helps for a short while before it's no longer effective (and you're not getting the best sleep while on it, any way).

I'll echo the other brothers: if you have difficulty breathing while you sleep, get the study done and get the CPAP machine.

scialytic

Premium Member
Does this primarily affect those who are overweight? Just wondering because I never had sleeping issues until I was 20 pounds over my ideal weight.

It is one of several factors, but that is usually the one that I hear as the tipping point. I still need to follow up on my sleep study. I may go for the procedure where they basically bake the back of your tongue which tightens up any fleshiness that may be resonating. Mine is mild obstructive, so it is still on the lower end of the scale.

Get it looked at soon and get a CPAP (or whatever treatment) as soon as possible. It is a brutal cycle: sleep apnea screws up your sleep -> you gain more weight because you're sleep is interupted -> the weight makes the sleep apnea worse -> you gain more weight ... and so forth. Get that appointment and you'll be fine. Procrastination *will* be worse.

jwhoff

Premium Member
20 pounds! Relax brother! Get some sleep!

Seriously, I was at the point of carrying a bed cover around with me all night sleeping in a chair for a few minutes, sleeping setting up on the couch, even on the screened in patio.

When I went for my study I felt so good the next morning! The therapist asked me how I felt. I told him fantastic! He looked at me, stared a minute and told me I had gotten just over an hour of sleep. Now I sleep like a baby hippo. Yeah, I did lose a little weight along the way.

Seek help. Look into both physical and psychological causes. You deserve a good night's sleep.

God bless.

Txmason

Bro Hale

The sleep study and CPAP will be the best investment you have ever made. Having a CPAP machine has saved my life in addition to using it I also am doing a workout program too

If your like me and love to eat, it doesn't mean giving up food or a life of good taste just a different way of looking at things. For me losing weight is a motivation to buy my first suit and to maybe get a girlfriend someday. Because I realize if I continue on this path I won't be around long. My dad would have to stop and take a 15 min. nap just to get to work and just to get home. Plus when they did my study I was waking up 57 times during the night. So please get that sleep study.