My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specialty Lodges

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Are there any "specialty" lodges here in the States? One where a Petitioner would have to have served in the military, or have a particular job? I know they are fairly common in Britain, for example; Lechmere Volunteer Lodge 1874, where members are all former military, and encouraged to wear mess uniforms as opposed to suits.
Anything like that 'round here?

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Are there any "specialty" lodges here in the States? One where a Petitioner would have to have served in the military, or have a particular job? I know they are fairly common in Britain, for example; Lechmere Volunteer Lodge 1874, where members are all former military, and encouraged to wear mess uniforms as opposed to suits.

One that I belong to is the Tranquility Lodge #2000. http://tl2k.org/ (That link should work).

S&F
BroBill

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
No real special requirements there, though, Brother Bill. Any Freemason in good standing (world-wide) may join.

mkmulin

Site Benefactor
National Sojourners. You have to be a Mason and E7 and above. Not a lodge though. Brothers correct me if I'm wrong.

My Freemasonry HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
BroBill; Good point. I have always liked Tranquility and have it on my radar (after I finish my newest paperwork).

mkmulin; I never knew about the E-7 and up requirement. Thanks.

dfreybur

Premium Member

It used to be a tradition in California. Not a requirement as such but a number of lodges were composed of brothers with similar backgrounds of various sorts. One of the lodges that my mother lodge absorbed before I petitioned had been a police lodge so to this day we have plenty of current and retired policemen. One of the lodges we absorbed while I was going through the line had been a lodge of brothers of Arabic descent so to this day we have plenty of Eastern Orthodox Coptic or Muslim brothers. As the population of Masons faded the ability to maintain the tradition fell and now it's a part of lodge history.

dfreybur

Premium Member
One that I belong to is the Tranquility Lodge #2000. http://tl2k.org/ (That link should work).

It's the coolest specialty lodge I'm aware of, but I'm biased as I started my career doing ground link software for a NASA satellite.

Research lodges are all specialty lodges in that they don't do degrees. There are RLs that specialize further. There's at least one that does Civil War era papers. California has one that publishes history articles another that does world-wide reporting of Masonic events.

cemab4y

Premium Member
There is a "Lodge of the Arts" in Seattle. The lodge was originally set up, to offer Freemasonry to men who worked in the theaters, and other artistic endeavours. Back when there were many newspapers, and the same newspaper would have multiple editions, the lodge was set up to meet in the daytime, to accomodate shift workers.

See http://www.daylightmasons.org

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Big country--REALLY big country. Europeans have no clue about the size of the USA. That means a lot of room to spread out, meaning that "specialties" might lack a certain population density. Thus, a specialty lodge would be difficult. In addition, there could be philosophical disagreements with the concept over here, since it might look like adding extra requirements over those of a Grand Lodge.